• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    My issue is that every study done is used as a weapon by the lefties to further take away our rights. No mater how much it proves the point from our side.

Or completely ignored/dropped like a hot rock because the findings don't say what the anti gunners want to hear.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Your welcome,

I would like to see your paper , hopefully it won’t be wasted on a big old dummy like myself.

And again, cool dog. And that’s a nice cz. I have a few, as I said before. I love my full size p9 with suppressor sights snd a threaded barrel as my favorite suppressor host.

Hopefully your health is good now.

And welcome.

Thanks! And the cool dog thanks you too- although she's pretty busy drooling next to my turkey fryer.

I love my CZs (obviously), I have a SP-01 and a shadow 2 (the one in the pictures). They were the first handguns that just felt 'right' in my hand. I used to own a Glock 17 but the grip just always felt too bulky for my wimpy girl hands, ha. Great system though. I also have a ruger SR22 that is great fun to shoot.

Thanks for asking about my health, that's very kind, I am better than I was, I went through two open heart surgeries and had a pacemaker put in so that has stabilized me for the time being. I'll eventually need a transplant though. So that's lame. One of the suckiest parts is that I'm pretty immune compromised so going to the range is pretty much out of the question right now.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    One of the suckiest parts is that I'm pretty immune compromised so going to the range is pretty much out of the question right now.

The problem with the younger generation is not thinking outside the box. You’re not far from DC! You can stay in your car.....

Attachments

• C3D60BCF-37E9-4C75-8262-DD44559C3958.jpg
      C3D60BCF-37E9-4C75-8262-DD44559C3958.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 146

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...I'll eventually need a transplant though. So that's lame. One of the suckiest parts is that I'm pretty immune compromised so going to the range is pretty much out of the question right now.
    I'm also immune-suppressed due to sporting a loaner kidney for going on 19 years now, been through the fear, survived it. Live your life and die on your feet.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Sure - the point of this study is not to use data points or statistics to necessarily draw conclusions. (Eg. If gun sales go up by 3%, violent crime decreases by 2%) An anthropological study is more about describing a group of people (in my case Maryland gun owners) and analyzing aspects of their culture. So (as of now) my study focuses on the fact that gun owners tend to be suspicious of outsiders and fearful of their 2A rights being infringed and what has led to that feeling.

Ultimately I'd like to demonstrate why we tend to be so protective of our right to own firearms. Hopefully to combat the stereotype of the 'paranoid old man' (again, nothing inherently wrong with that)

Demographic data is helpful when describing the community and helpful in drawing conclusions about why a group may think a certain way (eg. Traditionally older people tend more towards conservatism)

This study is my thesis project and will initially be reviewed by a panel of professors. After that, I can decide if I want to submit it to organizations for review and possibly publishing. But I'm not getting ahead of myself.

Are you seeking overall conclusions or a breakdown by demographic community. I would think that gun culture is much different and accepted in western Maryland than in democrat strongholds like Montgomery, Prince George’s and Baltimore counties. BGOS seems more severe in those areas.
    Is your study limited to Maryland?
    BTW I participated in the poll.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Maybe you missed the best college papers that is right in front of you , maybe the need to bring awareness to the organ donation transplant process . You have the best prospective on that subject . Just a thought , i wish you the best possible outcome . My family understands the power of health .

Prayers up

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Maybe you missed the best college papers that is right in front of you , maybe the need to bring awareness to the organ donation transplant process . You have the best prospective on that subject . Just a thought , i wish you the best possible outcome . My family understands the power of health .

Prayers up

It would definitely be an interesting paper - it would be extremely difficult however, given HIPA laws.

Thanks for the good vibes!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It would definitely be an interesting paper - it would be extremely difficult however, given HIPA laws.

Thanks for the good vibes!

HIPAA plays no role in gathering data. You just can’t give away identifying information. People can, of course, voluntarily tell you their story. No HIPAA violation there.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Are you seeking overall conclusions or a breakdown by demographic community. I would think that gun culture is much different and accepted in western Maryland than in democrat strongholds like Montgomery, Prince George’s and Baltimore counties. BGOS seems more severe in those areas.
    Is your study limited to Maryland?
    BTW I participated in the poll.

Thanks for participating! My study is limited to Maryland gun owners. And the variation in gun culture by location is something I would like to examine and part of why demographic info is helpful. Ultimately my thesis is an examination of who makes up the "gun culture" in Maryland and why we are so protective of our right to own firearms.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    HIPAA plays no role in gathering data. You just can’t give away identifying information. People can, of course, voluntarily tell you their story. No HIPAA violation there.

You are correct there. But identifying other transplant candidates is difficult because that information is not public. I suppose I could go to support groups/forums but that seems kind of exploitative. I don't know...

Really, honestly, I'd rather not spend all my time researching and talking about something I'm sort of dreading. I kind of wanted to focus my thesis on something I really enjoy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You are correct there. But identifying other transplant candidates is difficult because that information is not public. I suppose I could go to support groups/forums but that seems kind of exploitative. I don't know...

Really, honestly, I'd rather not spend all my time researching and talking about something I'm sort of dreading. I kind of wanted to focus my thesis on something I really enjoy.

Good idea. Totally get that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t believe you are an anti...

What is your age, gender and marital status? Do you have children?
    49, male, married, 2 kids

How many guns do you own?
    Not sure. 100 give or take

What type of guns are they?
    A little of everything. Rifles, shotguns, pistols, a submachine gun.

How long have you owned guns?
    31 years.

Where do you do most of your shooting?
    On private land.
    Were you exposed to gun ownership as a child (eg. your family owned guns, etc.)?
    Yes.

Why do you own guns?
    I love guns from a mechanical/design perspective and enjoy hunting and target shooting.

How often do you use gun or 2A related forums?
    Daily

Are you a member of any gun related or 2A organizations?
    Yes, multiple.

Has the pandemic changed your outlook on gun ownership? If so, how?
    No. I have always believed that all people should have the ability to defend themselves and their families should the need arise.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Thanks for participating! My study is limited to Maryland gun owners. And the variation in gun culture by location is something I would like to examine and part of why demographic info is helpful. Ultimately my thesis is an examination of who makes up the "gun culture" in Maryland and why we are so protective of our right to own firearms.

The antithesis would be interesting to delve into the reason some are willing to give up rights and eager to take rights from others.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Thanks! And the cool dog thanks you too- although she's pretty busy drooling next to my turkey fryer.

I love my CZs (obviously), I have a SP-01 and a shadow 2 (the one in the pictures). They were the first handguns that just felt 'right' in my hand. I used to own a Glock 17 but the grip just always felt too bulky for my wimpy girl hands, ha. Great system though. I also have a ruger SR22 that is great fun to shoot.

Thanks for asking about my health, that's very kind, I am better than I was, I went through two open heart surgeries and had a pacemaker put in so that has stabilized me for the time being. I'll eventually need a transplant though. So that's lame. One of the suckiest parts is that I'm pretty immune compromised so going to the range is pretty much out of the question right now.

We just ate our dinner with an air fried Turkey. Give the dog his cut.

If I wasn’t so lazy, plus it’s a lotta work, I would dig through the safes and closets and tell you what CZ’s I have lol.

Glocks are the k and I collect rugers, even named this big old red bone laying here ruger. And again I don’t know how many I have. Dozens? maybe more.

I wish you well with your heart condition. A friends father had a heart aneurysm and they “fixed” him for a while. Also had a friend who had a heart transplant. And I know several guys with pace makers. I will keep you in my prayers.

If you need a place to shoot after the coodies are gone, pm me.

Good luck with your paper.

CZlady

Oct 13, 2020
    Montgomery County
    We just ate our dinner with an air fried Turkey. Give the dog his cut.

If I wasn’t so lazy, plus it’s a lotta work, I would dig through the safes and closets and tell you what CZ’s I have lol.

Glocks are the k and I collect rugers, even named this big old red bone laying here ruger. And again I don’t know how many I have. Dozens? maybe more.

I wish you well with your heart condition. A friends father had a heart aneurysm and they “fixed” him for a while. Also had a friend who had a heart transplant. And I know several guys with pace makers. I will keep you in my prayers.

If you need a place to shoot after the coodies are gone, pm me.

Good luck with your paper.

The dog definitely gets her cut as well as the organs and gizzard. She eats better than me most days! It's interesting how we tend to name our dogs, mine is named for a star wars character.

Thanks for the prayers! Hope you're having an awesome Thanksgiving!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Not counting the Jim Crow Era , in Maryland )

We're not paranoid , we're realistic

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hi All-

I am a relatively new forum member, but an old gun owner. I am a CZ enthusiast from Montgomery county, very much looking forward to moving to Frederick. I wasn't sure where else to locate this on the forum but....

I recently returned to higher education after a major medical disaster rendered me unable to do my old job (I was a tattoo artist and basically my heart exploded). As part of my degree I am writing a anthropological study of Maryland gun owners who are active online. I am unable to conduct any in- person interviews because I am severely immunocompromised (I am on the transplant list for a heart) and can't really go much of anywhere. I know it is a big ask, if you would be willing to participate (pretty pretty please), just respond to the thread with answers to any or all of the questions below. If you don't feel comfortable or just don't want to reply publicly, feel free to send me a private message. I will not be using any identifying information in the final study- including usernames.

What is your age, gender and marital status? Do you have children?
    26, same sex(he's a great cook), 2 through natural birth
    How many guns do you own?
    What type of guns are they?
    16"
    How long have you owned guns?
    Since I turned 27
    Where do you do most of your shooting?
    That's a very private question..

Were you exposed to gun ownership as a child (eg. your family owned guns, etc.)?
    Yes. Strong armed robbery
    Why do you own guns?
    I like to pose in the mirror with it
    How often do you use gun or 2A related forums?
    Every day/never
    Are you a member of any gun related or 2A organizations?
    MDA
    Has the pandemic changed your outlook on gun ownership? If so, how?
    Not at all

If you made it all the way down here, thank you so much. I really really appreciate any replies or information- it helps me out a whole heck of a lot- especially being immune-compromised, I can't go out and do in- person interviews. So thanks again!!
    Wish you the best! :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Your desire to "identify" the gun culture in Maryland may cause you some problems. I would assume gun culture should include the full spectrum of people involved with guns from the occasional shooter with a borrowed gun to the full blown mall ninja gun nut. You are in the right place to get some insight into the more involved end of that spectrum but I suspect the other end with little regular ongoing active usage of guns will be very hard to quantify.

I am a data junkie who enjoys crunching numbers and crunch gun numbers for fun. Some of the FAQ's for guns are always how many guns are out there and how many people are armed along with many others. I suspect, but can't find the data, that there are a lot of households in Maryland that own a gun and don't use it. These are the people who inherited a gun of some description or bought one at some point for home defense and still have the original box of ammo. These people don't talk about guns, don't belong to gun forums, and won't admit to owning a gun partly because they fear their gun just might be "illegal" in Maryland. There is anecdotal evidence that this is fairly wide spread but real data just doesn't exist. I live in a community of 12 homes and after 30 years I am certain that at least five homes have at least one gun and the others are unknown however I am the only active gun owner. No doubt if you did a door to door survey of those 12 homes you would be told there are zero guns so finding that elusive end of the gun culture will be difficult if not impossible.

The thought just crossed my mind what about the virtual gun culture? People who don't own actual guns and may have never actually shot an actual gun but are deeply immersed in guns and shooting through virtual media such as "Call Of Duty" and other such programs. Are they included in the "gun Culture"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom