• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    This is random.. but..
    Let’s say a scope gets sent back to a manufacturer and the customer claims it is not holding zero.

How does the manufacturer test the scope to see if it holds zero?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This is random.. but..
    Let’s say a scope gets sent back to a manufacturer and the customer claims it is not holding zero.

How does the manufacturer test the scope to see if it holds zero?

Good question.
    I bet they don't even try or already know based on some sort of quick external test.
    I never spent enough time to try and tear some old one apart to where I could get one back together without destroying it in some way.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I was wondering this because I have a Nikon monarch 3 scope that never held zero on anything since it was new. I’m pretty disappointed but when I saw “made in China” I wasn’t surprised.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    On cheaper scopes they typically don't bother testing/repairing. They just replace if under warranty. When you get north of $1k optics they would likely test and possibly repair.
    I know both Vortex & Leupold have extensive test equipment such as a shock tester, reticle cant, lens culminating etc. I know a guy that recently sent back a Razor G2 4.5-27 for a canted reticle. Vortex tested corrected and returned in a week.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    On cheaper scopes they typically don't bother testing/repairing. They just replace if under warranty. When you get north of $1k optics they would likely test and possibly repair.
    I know both Vortex & Leupold have extensive test equipment such as a shock tester, reticle cant, lens culminating etc. I know a guy that recently sent back a Razor G2 4.5-27 for a canted reticle. Vortex tested corrected and returned in a week.

I have had maybe 7 or 8 Nikon scopes. I’ve been pretty happy with them, except this one.

With Nikon being out of the game, I wonder what they will do... I heard they will give vouchers for other sporting optics, and honestly I need a set of bino’s... but still I now probably need to get a scope for my 220.

The thing would shoot 4 inches low at 100. Is raise 4 MOA up, then the shot landed .25 inches to right of my previous shot (before I raised it 4 MOA). Then for sh**s and giggles, I put it back down 4 MOA, then the next round (after 10 minutes of barrel cooling) landed 4 MOA NORTH of my POA.

I previously had it on a 7-08 rifle, I could not get it to group with anything I tried. Now I have a different scope on it and it shoots pretty decent.

It sucks having a scope go bad, there is no way to know except spend the money on ammo and your time and frustration...

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    And just as a side note, I am moving to Vortex now probably.
    I do have a 3-9 Leupold on my ML that has been fantastic for the price point.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    While I'm sure it has probably happened, I've personally never heard of anyone having an issue with a properly installed scope that's north of a couple hundred bucks from companies like Leupold, Burris, Redfield, etc.

Last weekend I shot a group dead on the money at 100 yards with a 25-06 rifle topped by a Redfield scope, both of which may be older than me (I'm 50) and the scope was probably last zeroed the day it was originally zeroed - I don't ever remember my Dad messing with it - he'd simply pull the gun out of the bag, and then drill prairie dogs all day with it, shots out to 300+ yards, with only the occasional rare miss. Those shots I took last weekend were the first shots down the bore of that gun in over 20 years - I think the last time it was fired was probably summer of 1996. (Dad died in 1997)

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    While I'm sure it has probably happened, I've personally never heard of anyone having an issue with a properly installed scope that's north of a couple hundred bucks from companies like Leupold, Burris, Redfield, etc.

Last weekend I shot a group dead on the money at 100 yards with a 25-06 rifle topped by a Redfield scope, both of which may be older than me (I'm 50) and the scope was probably last zeroed the day it was originally zeroed - I don't ever remember my Dad messing with it - he'd simply pull the gun out of the bag, and then drill prairie dogs all day with it, shots out to 300+ yards, with only the occasional rare miss. Those shots I took last weekend were the first shots down the bore of that gun in over 20 years - I think the last time it was fired was probably summer of 1996. (Dad died in 1997)

Heard that. Since I bought this scope, I have been putting far more weight on made in America quality.
    It just sucks to sent many rounds and sabots down range to come to the conclusion that the scope is defective.
    And, gun season is this Saturday..
    I’ll probably get a vortex for the 220 now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Heard that. Since I bought this scope, I have been putting far more weight on made in America quality.
    It just sucks to sent many rounds and sabots down range to come to the conclusion that the scope is defective.
    And, gun season is this Saturday..
    I’ll probably get a vortex for the 220 now.

My youngest son gets either 45 or 50% off on both Luepold and Vortex scopes from the factory.
    He just had a 30mm vxIII delivered that he wants on a rifle by the opener.
    I told him Ill get right on it.:lol2:
    Nothing like waiting to the last minute but that's what makes it fun I guess.
    Maybe he'll let me have the sticker out of the box or maybe just the box if he doesn't want it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had maybe 7 or 8 Nikon scopes. I’ve been pretty happy with them, except this one.

With Nikon being out of the game, I wonder what they will do... I heard they will give vouchers for other sporting optics, and honestly I need a set of bino’s... but still I now probably need to get a scope for my 220.

The thing would shoot 4 inches low at 100. Is raise 4 MOA up, then the shot landed .25 inches to right of my previous shot (before I raised it 4 MOA). Then for sh**s and giggles, I put it back down 4 MOA, then the next round (after 10 minutes of barrel cooling) landed 4 MOA NORTH of my POA.

I previously had it on a 7-08 rifle, I could not get it to group with anything I tried. Now I have a different scope on it and it shoots pretty decent.

It sucks having a scope go bad, there is no way to know except spend the money on ammo and your time and frustration...

That part sounds like not having the reticle level when shooing.

But shooting low, then up, the dialing down, but shooing higher is NOT a good sign. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom