• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I realize a scope would help at range but don’t have many shots past 50yds so, was wondering how much better accuracy I’d get with a new dedicated slug gun and would my follow up shot be as fast as my Beretta 686 O/U (recent target for reference: both barrels @25, I’ve shot the top barrel at 50yds all in the center box).

Probably not so much...

Attachments

• 4B3DFC98-3911-460A-88BA-9B40572F566C.jpeg
      4B3DFC98-3911-460A-88BA-9B40572F566C.jpeg
      59.5 KB · Views: 315

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you like to tinker with stuff and shoot, maybe get a 350 Legend of choice, bolt or AR. You can use it most anywhere you could use your SG. On the other hand good enough IS good enough and your O/U is GTG. Depends too if you ever want to go further than 75 yds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looks good enough to me...
    here's a 4 shot cold bore group @ 100 yds with a 20ga

Attachments

• 4shot.jpg
      4shot.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 244

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As someone who predates sabots and rifled bbls , back in the day , that would have been above average .

The $64 Question is , does it shoot Point of Aim ? A scope or not isn't really a limiting factor for smoothbore slugs. ( Can help in bad lighting ,or if you have Mr Magoo style coke bottle glasses , and can't see 75yds .

It's actually possible to shoot decent sized ( by smoothbore standards ) groups with just a bead . BUT you're stuck with what you have for POA/ POI .( There was this Wingmaster that shot good groups @ 50yds , albeit required 2.5 feet of diagonal hold off . )

IF you are comfortable/ confident with keeping shots within 75yds or so , your current 686 will meet your requirements .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    As has been noted by lots of cowboy shooters and professional hunters, nothing beats a double for quick two shots. Even the Winchester SX3 doesn't cycle fast enough to beat a double gun. But if you don't plan on double-tapping every time you shoot at a deer, a dedicated single shot or bolt action shotgun would "improve" your accuracy shot to shot.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I too started hunting when my "slug gun" was a smooth bore open site Wingmaster 16ga. The same gun I used to hunt rabbits and pheasants. It was always good out to about 50 yards. Slug Guns have come a long way. In my opinion it depends on how much you gun hunt and where. 9 years ago my club leased 165 acres in QA county with woods and a couple large farm fields. I like to hunt the perimiter of fields, always have. I bought a Remington 870 Special Purpose w/rifled barrel and Redfield scope. It is dead on at 100 yards. Last year I handed that down to my son and bought a Savage 220 with a Vortex scope. I hunt a blind and a ladder stand on each side of a 200 yard field and can reach out from tree line to tree line with the 220. It was $900 but it is worth it since I do hunt most of the 2 week firearm season and then also the 3-day late firearm season and I can take a 25 yard shot or a 200 yard shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are Rifled "better" ? Absolutely . Were/ are plenty of game killed with smoothbores ? Absolutely . Either self limit your shots to within range , or primarily hunt where opportunities for long shots unlikely .

OP states he will typically shotgun hunt where long shots are unlikely . Taking that at face value , his current shotgun will be fine . If the question was " What shotgun is best/ most versatile for deer hunting , the discussion would be different .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I sometimes used a smooth bore Mossberg pump or an old cut down A5 for hunting in the woods.
    If I was sitting, I never considered shooting very much more than you could shoot with a bow and they were handy for that sort of thing.
    For walking in a cut over or in some phrag or the marsh you cant beat them.
    A friend of mine has a 1100 goose gun that shoots slugs to 100yd so well it would make you laugh.
    It has like a 30" slightly longer barrel on it and he lives on a property in a rifle county but still totes that old shotgun.
    Ive had a few rifled single shot and one bolt action rifled shotgun. I sold them off a few years ago.
    Ammo was so dam expensive for them but they worked well for a specific purpose.
    I just prefer smooth bores for how I like to hunt with them.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I take 8-12 deer a year,, have never had to "Double tap" a deer, ever.
    If you take a neck shot it drops and done,
    If you take a heart/lung shot it runs 20-40 yards and done.
    Either way if you dont hit the deer good the first shot while it is standing still., what makes you think they are going to hit it hauling ass away?? Let it bed and track it 2-6 hours later.

As has been noted by lots of cowboy shooters and professional hunters, nothing beats a double for quick two shots. Even the Winchester SX3 doesn't cycle fast enough to beat a double gun. But if you don't plan on double-tapping every time you shoot at a deer, a dedicated single shot or bolt action shotgun would "improve" your accuracy shot to shot.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    We're not too far removed from an era where a shotgun that would shoot minute of pie plate at 50 yards with Foster or Brenneke slugs was an absolute treasure.

Op is fine for the hunting he describes.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    The great thing about slugs is double taps aren't needed. Even if the "deer" is wearing a vest it'll probably smash a bunch of ribs and shock the internal organs. I was thinking more of a scenario where there a group of "deer" down the street; sometimes if you shoot the first one the others might be bold enough for revenge. However, if they see two of their buddies get smashed one right after the other, they'll realize it'll happen to them next & that's enough to break the will of the group...

:lol2:

just kidding... I was mainly just showing off that I was tickled by the calibration of the barrels. It was interesting particularly in comparison to my Rem870 SBS where I could barely keep rounds on paper.

I take 8-12 deer a year,, have never had to "Double tap" a deer, ever.
    If you take a neck shot it drops and done,
    If you take a heart/lung shot it runs 20-40 yards and done.
    Either way if you dont hit the deer good the first shot while it is standing still., what makes you think they are going to hit it hauling ass away?? Let it bed and track it 2-6 hours later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom