• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I have read where it is suggested that reloaders make up some "dummy rounds" for dry-fire practice....no powder of course!....but with a correct bullet seated in the cartridge. Has anyone here done this, and if so, do you de-prime the fired primer and leave the hole empty....or just leave the fired primer in place? Thanks for any help.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I dry fire all the time with nothing in the chamber. It wont hurt center fire rifles. Best not to do it much with rim fire.

If you want a dummy for whatever training, you can put silicone in the primer pocket to soften the blow of the firing pin if your concerned.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have read where it is suggested that reloaders make up some "dummy rounds" for dry-fire practice....no powder of course!....but with a correct bullet seated in the cartridge. Has anyone here done this, and if so, do you de-prime the fired primer and leave the hole empty....or just leave the fired primer in place? Thanks for any help.

I made some. Just bullet in brass, as the spent primer really does nothing in a centerfire rifle. Also easier to identify the dummy rounds without the primer.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Get snap caps

Man I love those.
    sno-caps-theater-box2_large.jpg

gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks everybody! Great info. BTW: I used plastic snap caps in my .375 H & H. They worked fine for a while and then seemed to wear out and cause feeding / ejection issues. Again, thanks for the replies. You guys are awesome!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I recently put brass Beartooth Mercantile magazine followers in a pair of 1895s. Ordered 45-70 snap caps off amazon just to verify functionality without cycling live ammo through them in the house.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.02.24 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.02.24 AM.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 203

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    if you need a full cartridge analog to test function get a set of snap cps. They are a unique color to allow easy identification. I have zero desire to teach my family its ok to load and unload what looks like live ammo other than at the range. The risk far outweighs the benefit IMHO.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Dry fire practice what? Pistol?
    there are laser cartridges that will pulse a laser on momentarily when a firing pin hits the back. There are even apps that allow you to put the phone camera on it and a sample target to keep score.
    Then then there is the laserlight targets. Do that for pistol dry firing.

For a rifle you can dry fire say offhand to verify your not moving the gun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    if you need a full cartridge analog to test function get a set of snap cps. They are a unique color to allow easy identification. I have zero desire to teach my family its ok to load and unload what looks like live ammo other than at the range. The risk far outweighs the benefit IMHO.

I use action proving dummies to verify work performed at my bench. I have some snap caps too but they very rarely mimic actual cartridge dimensions for proving.

You can load dummies with holes drilled through them for learning how to load enbloc's, mags strippers or for single load drills etc.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Years ago I made a box of dummy rounds for the agency I worked for so officers could practice speed loads for the revolvers we were issued. Unfortunately few availed themselves of the opportunity to practice.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Dummy rounds are great and I make them often. NOT meant to be a snap cap as you're not going to buy a snap cap off the shelf which is the same as the ammo you're loading. Also, rarely will a snap cap feed and they wear out.

I take tired brass, drill a hole for ID through it from side to side, seat the bullet I want to test, and then fill the primer hole with hot glue (replace as needed).

As I'm set up to reload this is pretty much free for me to do so why not? Also, much cheaper than snap caps and I can make them for any round/load I like.

If you're reloading it is well worth doing.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Dry fire practice what? Pistol?
    there are laser cartridges that will pulse a laser on momentarily when a firing pin hits the back. There are even apps that allow you to put the phone camera on it and a sample target to keep score.
    Then then there is the laserlight targets. Do that for pistol dry firing.

For a rifle you can dry fire say offhand to verify your not moving the gun.

Yup, I got the iTarget and it’s great for practicing at home. I would never do such a thing in my house with anything that resembled a live round, I’ve heard some scary ND stories.

Attachments

• 14D931C4-2D7E-4689-B395-C9E588CD292C.jpeg
      14D931C4-2D7E-4689-B395-C9E588CD292C.jpeg
      31.7 KB · Views: 161

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I dry fire all the time with nothing in the chamber. It wont hurt center fire rifles. Best not to do it much with rim fire.

If you want a dummy for whatever training, you can put silicone in the primer pocket to soften the blow of the firing pin if your concerned.

Rossie M92s warn against this. Something about risk of breaking the firing pin. I practice with snap caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom