• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Like it says, I'm interested in getting started with black powder and would like to do it with a pistol - what's a good "starter" gun, where to get it, etc?

I know Uberti and Taylors make higher-end reproductions, would it make sense to start with one like that or with something cheaper?

I also do know that now is a bad time to get into anything new in firearms, but it could also be a good way to scratch the shooting itch for a while. Plus I think lots of those early Colts and similar guns are extremely cool, just as functional machines.

Then there's the learning about BP shooting part - we have a few members at my IWLA club who shoot, and I'll go hit them up for advice too, but MDS is so easy to start with. So here I am.

Thanks and all that!

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Interested as well...always wanted a LeMat revolver. Nine shots plus a shot barrel, enough said.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I've had a few, the Uberti stands out IMO. Nice thing is you can't hurt it.... the others you can. Just keep it clean after use. Pay me now, pay me later.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a pietta 1851 navy I got a while back and used to shoot quite a bit. It came with pretty much everything I needed besides powder caps wads and bullets for like $150 or something like that around 2014. I got a cheap Lee mold and me and my buddies used to have fun casting for it from range scrap lead we picked up. Could easily hit steel at 25 yards. I’d start with something like that and comes in a kit it’s pretty easy

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Remington replica is I think the easiest to pull apart and load.
    One thing that makes it easier is that its easy to pull the cylinder out and put on a detached loading stand like this:
    https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/trad...r-black-powder-revolver-cylinders-217635.html

You can also get conversion cylinders to run 45 Colt

I don't know about the higher end ones but the Pietta cylinders are smaller than the grooves in the bore so the competition guys accurize these things.
    I still KICK myself for not buying a used accurized one this summer.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a Pietta 1861 Army in .44. Lots of good YT videos online. Like most aspects of the hobby, start with what you can find available. Use good common sense when it comes to safety. Don't sink a lot of money into mods and accessories until you know how much you like BP firearms. If you like them, there are lots of fun things to experiment with. I am working on loading paper cartridges using cigarette wrapping paper, to make loading a little easier at the range. I may eventually get a conversion cylinder, but I already have a Ruger Blackhawk, so I don't really need another single action revolver.

1858 Remington will probably be my next BP revolver...if I can find one at the right price.

Be safe.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have the 1858's and love the top strap. I have a brass all BP one and a steel one I will be adding a conversion cylinder to that is in my Christmas pile to shoot 45lc low pressure loads. If you ever want to use the conversion stuff stay with the steel guns. The brass are cool looking but dirty and tarnish quick.

Practice shooting at your club and see what they have and get practical experience watching and listening. They'll probably let you shoot also. I am 7 minutes south of Hagerstown if you're ever out this way and want to shoot an 1858.

Most stores have run out of them, or in very short supply. So, maybe buy one now!!!!

You'll need real 3F powder and #10 caps or a suitable low pressure powder Black powder substitute. I drive up to Fort Chambers in Chambersburg to buy real black powder. MD has made is such a chore to keep black powder most stores won't do it any more and shipping is unreal.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Sorry to derail, but Archeryrob, there are a couple gun stores around Waynesboro, Pa. that probably have BP. Herold’s and the Hunter’s Den?? on Rt 16. Maybe cut off an hours drive or so round trip. Herold’s use to have a good supply of older wood and steel guns too.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I just stumbled across those, I was about to ask if they were any good.

I guess the trick will be finding one in stock. And powder. And caps.

If the revolvers are out of stock, pickup a flintlock rifle. Worst case, you can use it to hunt with in just about any state.

PS, you can order directly from the traditions web page

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Some tips:

Go steel for the frame vs brass. Brass will eventually fail on you and move out of spec.
    Pietta, Uberti, and Traditions all make fine starter guns and starter kits.
    Be VERY aware of the charges you are throwing and what you are throwing. Do not store BP and Smokeless powders near each other, grabbing smokeless when you mean to grab BP is a good way to hurt or kill yourself and others.
    Most BP substitutes are corrosive as all hell. Clean your guns after shooting. Same day at the latest. Otherwise small parts like the spring, hand, and pawl will rust or weaken on you.
    Dixie Gun Works usually has a good selection of BP revolvers, pepper boxes, and other BP handguns.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    This is all IMHO and IME:

Stick with Uberti or Pietta.

Get a steel frame. Brass trigger guard and grip are fine.

If using stock nipples, use Remington #10 caps. Stock nipples are a pain to get out initially. Get a couple good wrenches.

Aftermarket nipples are better and standardize on CCI #11 usually.

Cap sizes are not the same across brands.

Remington pattern is more like a modern gun. Solid frame, familiar sights. Binds up faster than Colt pattern. Clunky.

Colt pattern are just cool. Balance better, large arbor handles fouling better. Open frame, can be fiddley to assemble, wedge pin position affects cylinder gap.

They usually go on sale around the holidays coming up.

.44 cal round balls of appropriate size are easier to find. Hornady and Speer make them. .36 cal you will probably have to go boutique like track of the wolf or mold your own. .375 might be too small and is what Speer and Hornady make.

Lookup Duelist1954 on YouTube.

Get the one that speaks to you. If you end up not shooting it much or liking the whole ordeal, they still look cool on your shelf with a nice wooden stand.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Interested as well...always wanted a LeMat revolver. Nine shots plus a shot barrel, enough said.

I shot a friend's lemat. it was a hoot to shoot, especially the shot barrel, but a pain to load and the loading gate is pretty weak. def need a BP loading press with it.

The 1858 steel frame is a triumph of design. My grand-dads Navy Arms (uberti) has seen thousands of rounds through three generations and still runs like a top

Last edited:

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    D:cool:

Attachments

• uberti.jpg
      uberti.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 293

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads