• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    From what I understand, an automatic knife is permitted to own, but everything I see from online sales sites prohibited shipping to Maryland. I have a CCW, and understand that I can also carry them too.... as I read the rules. Can someone clarify?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    From what I understand, an automatic knife is permitted to own, but everything I see from online sales sites prohibited shipping to Maryland. I have a CCW, and understand that I can also carry them too.... as I read the rules. Can someone clarify?

I have a CCW. I carry an automatic knife.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    First off, the ultratech, troodon, and others like them are not true autos. No stored energy until you load up the actuation mechanism by pressing forward. Mechanically no difference between this and an assisted opening folder.

Now the halo 7 is a different ballgame. That thing is a true auto. Stored energy released by the press of a button that is on the side of the handle.

Most ultratechs are double edged, which makes them a no-no in MD for carrying around. Considered a dagger (named in statute).

As for a person who has a w&c, and is within any restrictions their permit otherwise has, you should be fine. On a practical level, I'd advise against an ultratech, particularly a double edged model, for daily carry. They are well made but because they are not true autos they deploy with little force. A few sheets of copy paper will stop deployment at partial open (not locked in place) and that is no good under dire conditions. Add in the very small handle (troodon are bigger) and ease of slippage during thrusting and a quality folder is what I opt for generally.

If you just have to get one because they are cool (they are) just talk to the guys at redhill tactical. I suggest a halo, though.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Permitted to own but I think it’s illegal to carry.

OP is conflating automatic with ultratech ( thread title). He does state that he has a w&c, so the auto issue isn't a problem for his specific case.

Everyone should own cool stuff. I do. Just as I don't usually carry a BBQ gun out and about in daily life, I don't carry a six hundred plus dollar Marfione custom auto in my pocket every day. I'm not in an income bracket where losing it due to using it on some assailant wouldn't trouble me. Glocks or czs and a benchmade in the pocket. All are replaceable for reasonable prices. Handmade knives and custom built handguns stay at home.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Thanks everyone for the info. I went ahead and got the UltraTech from eknives as suggested.

I also EDC either a custom CZ or my 360pd, so this knife is just an added tool in the arsenal. I love the great advice from all on here.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ok now I’m embarrassed to state that part of my daily carry is a custom Sigil MK6

I'm not saying someone shouldn't carry such things if the replacement will not bother them emotionally or financially.

Custom knives in my case are either a significant expenditure, made by people I am close to, or both. Ditto my custom guns. If someone thinks they are taking one of these items, that will be after a second potentially dangerous confrontation (probably a fight).

If you aren't bothered by replacement of your mk6 (or your hand built 1911 that you have a month of your time in) then I can't fault your decision.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks everyone for the info. I went ahead and got the UltraTech from eknives as suggested.

I also EDC either a custom CZ or my 360pd, so this knife is just an added tool in the arsenal. I love the great advice from all on here.

Welcome to the microtech addiction. Buy some lighter fluid (for cleaning/lubricating) and if you don't have an air compressor buy a case of keyboard dusting cans. Pocket lint is not your friend when it comes to OTF knife reliability.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Interesting. Didn't realize lighter fluid was this way for the Microtech knives. Thanks for the info

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I carried a ultratech for a while and while the cool factor was way up there, it just wasn’t practical as a EDC for me. They need to be kept ultra clean for reliability and as mentioned pocket lint alone is it’s worst enemy.
    I switched to a benchmade afo 2 and that thing has seen the worst, on duty and off. Quick shot of otis dry lube every once in a while and it fires hard.

I’m not knocking the UT one bit, you may sit there for hours firing and retracting it because it’s so satisfying. Hell it even made opening bills from envelopes not so bad! I wish I still had mine but some dirtbag carpet guy my wife let do a estimate decided he needed it more than I did.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    REM oil works great for cleaning as well. If you use it to cut tape or open packaging, make sure it is clean before closing. It should come with a nice coozie as well

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

Welcome to the auto knife addiction support forum. They seem to multiply rapidly. Now check out Heretic, Guardian Tactical, Protech, and Piranha for starters. :)

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    REM oil works great for cleaning as well. If you use it to cut tape or open packaging, make sure it is clean before closing. It should come with a nice coozie as well��

Rem oil is what Microtech recommends for lubrication.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Rem oil is what Microtech recommends for lubrication.

I never used remoil since I already have napthalene on the shelf for Jewell trigger cleaning/lubricating. Kroil works great but the smell is a dead giveaway if left on the knife when you carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom