• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't currently own a Beretta. I think I need one in the 92/M9 family just because...well, iconic. And fun.

There are so many models now it gets sort of dizzying. I don't want anything with a manual safety.

So I'm thinking 92X in a de-cocker only configuration?

Any reason I should think about a 92FS or M9a1 or M9a3? Night sights aren't important to be as I've sort of reached the conclusion as I've gotten older that they are bull****. I sort of like the black rear and orange front on the 92X.

As far as I can tell, other than a threaded barrel which I don't need either, that's the only reason to go for the M9a3?

What else am I missing?
    Did you see this?

https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=43988

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you want an M9, get an M9. It's a nice pistol, really accurate, have had one for 20 years and it's still one of my favorites. People bash the slide mounted safety, but I like it vs the Taurus frame mounted, you can get a much higher grip without it getting in the way, can still hit it if your hands are big enough to fit the fat grip, and doesn't really matter if you use it as a decocker/ carry condition 2.

You haven't seen students in gun classes having to use their left thumb to operate that slide lever.
    It's a great range gun, but not a combat pistol with the slide controls.

The beaver tail doesn't go higher when the controls are on the slide compared to the frame mounted. So how do you get a much higher grip?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You haven't seen students in gun classes having to use their left thumb to operate that slide lever.

The beaver tail doesn't go higher when the controls are on the slide compared to the frame mounted. So how do you get a much higher grip?

guess to clarify, the web of my hand is in the same spot but my strong side thumb is higher, and isn't resting against the safety like the Taurus 92, feels better and better recoil control, same grip that I use with Sig, and most striker pistols. Not a fan of safeties that I have to place my thumb on top of, or next to like 1911s and the Taurus 92 unless it has a big gas pedal safety like the comp models pictured, then it works. I've run it in class and a couple competitions, instructed a couple people on it, but usually use other pistols for instruction because it doesn't fit people all that well. My hands aren't all that huge, and I can bump the safety off just fine with my strong hand thumb knuckle while drawing, a little awkward pulling it down to engage/decock though, but shouldn't do that or reholster on the clock or with a threat anyway, so no need to hurry.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I just got into the Beretta world 2 months ago with a 92X Centurion.

First thing I did was install the Landgon/LTT Trigger Job In a Bag (TJIB) and guess what? Its the best SA/DA trigger I have ever used (Thats not really saying much, I don't have a lot of time on SA/DAs).

Depending on how much you can get a 92X for, and if you plan to install the TJIB, you might look into a lightly used LTT Elite pistol. What you lose is the skinny Vertec grip, which I figured out doesn't work for me anyways. Regardless, they are out of stock at LTT and you need to go used if you want one meow.

I shot this 10 shot group today. Its 25 yards with cheapo Herters 115gr brass cased ammo. It is probably the best 25 yard, 10 round group I have ever shot in my life with a 9mm. Probably. I knew I was shooting left after the last session but didn't drift the rear... wish I did to see what my score could have been.

Accurate and reliable. Cheap mags available. I don't see any downsides unless you want something really small for carry.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    To be clear, this isn't for home defense or anything serious. I'm also not a fan of slide mounted controls, although I would feel better about it by making it a decocker only rather than a safety.

It's mostly that I've always found these guns really attractive and classic and I've just wanted one for a while. I feel the same way about a 1911. Beautiful gun, but it's 2021 and I wouldn't rely one one for home defense or carry.

I know people do and that's fine.

I just love the classic lines of the 92.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

While I prefer striker pistols, I have zero issue manipulating the slide safety with my right hand (dominant) thumb. It’s actually quite natural.

That said, I prefer any defensive pistols to be without thumb safeties, and the M9 is truly just a range toy for me, but I’d have no issue with the manual of arms as intended, and my hands aren’t that large.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    If you’re not handy I recommend already buying a pistol worked by Langdon Tactical. If you’re not afraid to grab a punch, hammer, abs screwdriver and take apart your gun then get any 92 model you desire and add the G conversion and trigger kit from LT.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Yup, forgot to mention I installed the G kit as well, so mine is a decocker only. I couldn't find a 92X Centurion G for sale anywhere.

How can anyone say the 92 is not fit for combat or home defense? Its not my first choice obviously (or second or 10th) but I wouldn't worry if it was my only pistol.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yup, forgot to mention I installed the G kit as well, so mine is a decocker only. I couldn't find a 92X Centurion G for sale anywhere.

How can anyone say the 92 is not fit for combat or home defense? Its not my first choice obviously (or second or 10th) but I wouldn't worry if it was my only pistol.
    Not only that, but somewhere along the way it beat out the competition to become the military's pistol. Granted, the P226 was better, but it also was going to cost more. It was the US Military's service pistol - good, bad and ugly - from 1985-2017.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Glockenspiel

Jul 15, 2021
    92a1 is probably what I would have gotten in retrospect in order to get the replaceable sights and rail. If you don't care about the sights M9a1 has better frame checkering, but does not have multiple rail slots like the 92a1, which I see as a negative depending upon which light you may be interested in.

The g conversion kit is widely available so the safety isn't really a dealbreaker. Pistols have had slide mounted safety/decockers since forever, and unless your hands are too small to reach it, it is truly a nonissue. Check out one in person and you'll know if this is the case or not. The vertec frames or slimmer grips can mitigate the issue, but it's still not a good gun for small hands.

Adding a g kit yourself is admittedly a bit annoying. You'll need punches and a plastic bag. A lot of the configurations are not available as g versions from the factory and will need the kit. The g version of the normal 92 is available and the Langdon elites LTTs are as well, but Beretta is not building the LTTs at the moment, unfortunately.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I bought a 92FS for the same reason you are looking. At the time it was the side arm of our Armed Forces and its fun to shoot. I also would say, that if I have to be in combat and carry a side arm, this would be the one I choose.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Carried an M9 for 15years, and hated it particularly concealed. However for a couple of years I opened carried a beat up cop trade in 92D Centurion, which I bought for about $250 (w/ tritium & extra mags) in a Yaqui slide holster, that was a great gun, took a lot of abuse and no slide lever. You have to learn how to shoot DA however, when you go to a DAO gun the trigger is much better; lighter, smoother, & shorter than the DA/SA versions.

Valmet

Mar 4, 2017
    Crofton, Maryland
    I've had a 92FS, a M9, 950BS Jetfire, M9 9-11 Commemorative and sold them all. The only one I still have is a M9A3 still NIB.
    M9A3.jpg

Love that ammo can style case.

You just can't go wrong with a Beretta 92. They look amazing in stainless/synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom