• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’ll break in this new forum with something relevant that I’m working on now:

Since quarantine started, I have been taking a bunch of computer classes on Udemy.com. The classes are really good, and pretty cheap (most are $10). I don’t have a tech background at all which is why I’m taking some classes.

One of the classes I am taking now is an ‘ethical hacker’ course. As part of the course you learn a lot of hacking skills. One of the basic things we are learning now is setting up a hacker terminal using Kali Linux, and using a USB WiFi adapter set in ‘monitor’ mode to packet sniff networks. The next lesson is breaking the network encryption, and I’m no expert, but it is pretty scary how easily stuff can be hacked if you have the right tools. Once you break the encryption you can access user ids, passwords, attachments, chat messages, urls, etc from a target device.

I highly recommend taking a class like that so you can better understand the dangers. It’s quite eye opening!

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    And OSCP certification will open a lot of doors. I like watching people discover how fast simple passwords are to crack.

Good use of quarantine time!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I took a boot camp for that and ECSA/Pintesting, etc. Two exams. Written like normal exam ( pick a, b, c, d, etc.) and the second was set with three boxes, KAli, Centos and redhat. You set all three up in VMWare Player, get Kali to see the other IP ranges, change and then run man in middle on FTP traffic. Then get onto one, find root, use the account used by both, hack the other with bug exploits to elevate to root then salt and get root account password. need to get db from online somewhere. I use my Kali, along with Nessus on a server in the cloud to test traffic, etc. My Kali is on my Windows 2019 laptop running Hyper-V in NAT mode. Had to configure Metasploit, though. The version previous to Kali was what I used for my classes. Then you go to the next level where you learn Webgoat, how to man in the middle with certs and throw your own fake cert, app register hacks, and a lot of Perl scripting.

Cool, too is a Pineapple appliance.

Awesome you are taking.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    This is the class I’m taking. Udemy classes steeply discounted so it’s in the $10-$15 range after applying discounts.

Attachments

• EBD80863-A492-4DFD-841B-67AA2D399C41.jpg
      EBD80863-A492-4DFD-841B-67AA2D399C41.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 884

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    The version previous to Kali was what I used for my classes.

BackTrack was awesome for it's time. Definitely an "it's so easy anyone can do it" setup. Then Knoppix finally got replaced with Debian to spawn Kali and nobody except the insane fanboys were upset about it, making many things even easier.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    While this is not "network security" specific, with all the talk of Linux (Kali, etc) so far I thought some might find the LinuxLEO guide interesting.

It's a ~300 page guide covering Linux and computer forensics. Even if post mortem forensics is not your primary interest, it does assume an absolute beginner, so there's some basics to be learned. I use it to teach an MSc course in a forensic computing and cybercrimes investigations degree program.

At least two chapters on network investigations basics are in draft for the guide, and will likely be included in the next major update.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am a well known Luddite , whose fixed and finite small smidgen of computer knowledge will be soon considered illiterate , and in a couple years I'll be no longer able to participate on the internet . So what all y'all are saying leaves be blank .

But I'm curious . Is all this stuff for protecting Against Hackers , or so y'all can Be Hackers ?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I am a well known Luddite , whose fixed and finite small smidgen of computer knowledge will be soon considered illiterate , and in a couple years I'll be no longer able to participate on the internet . So what all y'all are saying leaves be blank .

But I'm curious . Is all this stuff for protecting Against Hackers , or so y'all can Be Hackers ?

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but in my view it’s exactly like learning martial arts.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Both. The best way to learn how to defend against hackers, is to be one. The best way to find out if your system is secure, is to break into it. There is an entire industry built around doing these things. Read about things like 'red teams', 'blue teams', and network vulnerability assessments.

Warning: Do not do vulnerability checks or scans against systems or networks you do not own. Do not do vulnerability checks or scans across systems or networks you do not own, meaning every server, switch and cable between the scanning machine and the machine being scanned. You should do this with hardware that you own, that is not connected to any hardware you do not own. This means no internet connection.

People who do this for a living use very specific legal documents & release forms that outline the rules of engagement and possible outcomes, and everything gets signed before they do anything.

Network scanning involves sending malformed data packets to see how the software responds. Sometimes it breaks and allows the hacker or tester a way in. Sometimes it fails in unexpected ways. You don't want to be responsible for a poorly constructed network collapsing and losing millions of dollars in revenue.

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    The cyberhacking world is very wide and open to anybody that wants to learn, I was a member of the out reach/recruitment team that worked with Cyberpatriot.org. https://www.uscyberpatriot.org We worked with high school to get teams into cyber security before they turned to the DARK side "Basement Hackers" and before they turned 18. They could get high paying jobs/clearances, if they were over 18 and get catch hatching the doors close and in many case jail time. Cyberharking is a lot like Firearms there the good side and the bad side. Its better to learn the right way before you get your door kicked in. By the way the Military and Cyber Security is why I was able to retire early and very comfortably. :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom