Arrests in Baltimore for illegal guns often lead to dropped charges or little jail

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happens all the time and people need to start being held accountable.

When ever you see a criminals name in the news, look them up in md case search. 9 times out of 10 they will have either multiple gun, assault, or drug charges against them and the prosecutor's decided not to prosecute them or the judge let them off with no time served.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Start putting the names and cases and murders associated with the actions of the police, states attorneys, and judges.

If the judge lets someone go on a laughable sentence and that person goes out and kills someone put that judge on blast. Release a news article (or hundred) about it and let the public know for when they are up for re-election.

I like that.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Happens all the time and people need to start being held accountable.

When ever you see a criminals name in the news, look them up in md case search. 9 times out of 10 they will have either multiple gun, assault, or drug charges against them and the prosecutor's decided not to prosecute them or the judge let them off with no time served.

And oddly enough 90% of the time the only person the citizens actually elect that is involved in the case doesn't have their name attached to the case.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    If you read the end of the article, Davis' solution was to introduce another gun law, making possession of an "illegal" gun punishable by a 1 year sentence. Obviously, the man is dense.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'd go in the complete other direction. Gun carry laws are unconstitutional.

In states where open (or concealed) carry is legal, carrying a weapon is not even probable cause to detain someone. Carry laws have always been just another unconstitutional excuse for police to arrest people, and an ineffective one at that.

Rather than more gun laws or complain about ineffective policing, I would go in the complete opposite direction and push for repeal. I'd sell it as a way to keep the police from harassing people. Yes, there may be a lot of criminals carrying weapons. There are also a lot of criminals who get lawyers and use their right to remain silent. Just as (alleged) criminals have some constitutional rights, they also have the right to defend themselves. Even Al Capone was allowed to carry a revolver to his own trial, at the courthouse. Imagine carrying a revolver to the courthouse today. We've come a long way, mostly in the wrong direction.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Meanwhile, this forum has endless threads from law abiding citizens terrified about BS HBAR and 20 round magazine laws.

Gimme a break.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Thread jack

Happens all the time and people need to start being held accountable.

I was thinking about this the other day after a conversation I had with a lib. She was an ER nurse that use a toddler that I brought into the hospital after she was shot to try and use in her anti gun rant. I told her the shooter had several prior arrests for illegal possession of a gun and should under state law have been in prison when the shooting occurred.
    It got me thinking about how many people have that were represented in court by members of Marylands GA that have gotten off or light sentences and then hurt of killed others when they should have been in jail. It seems like this could make an effective political ad against the likes of miller and Vallario to show they have blood on their hands.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My brother was a BPD officer, made sergeant. He resigned after 12 years when he was in court one morning and the black female judge walked into her courtroom, took her seat at the bench, and said "Ain't no black men going to jail today" to the stenographer as she was sitting down. My brother and two other officers who were in the courtroom protested and she ordered the stenographer to strike her comment from the record, but then proceeded to find every black defendant not guilty or dismissed the charges altogether.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Davis has testified in the General Assembly "that there is no such thing as an illegal gun." He reiterated this point, so the context of his statement in the article is confusing.

He pushed heavily for a mandatory minimum bill that would have locked up someone caught illegally possessing guns for 5 years.

Bobby Zirkin (Senate Judiciary Chairman) chewed it up and it died in committee. He pointed out that other things need to be fixed in the city when it comes to prosecutors and judges before they push a law tying the hands of judges. Testimony by the 2A groups also pointed out the flaws of the bill.

Expect to see a return of this bill, especially now that Catherine Pugh will likely be the Mayor of Baltimore. Also, be ready for the toy gun ban to be tried again at the state level.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I don't think this one lies with politicians or the laws. The politicians have passed the laws. The laws are already there and we do not need new ones. Possession of firearms cases live and die on the fourth amendment intrusion to find the weapon and whether it passes constitutional muster. Like Judge Becker said, it is very difficult for lawyers and judges sitting in the comfort of a courtroom to judge an officer's actions that occurred in the middle of the night on the street when there is a high potential that a person possesses a firearm. If it does pass muster under the fourth amendment, there are few hurdles at trial to possession cases unless there are 4 people in a vehicle with one firearm found on the floor or multiple people living in a home with a firearm found in an area accessible to all. Then you have to decide, who do you prosecute? I agree with having a unit that concentrates and has some level of expertise on the convoluted Maryland firearms laws. A knowledgeable prosecution unit will be able to better determine what should be prosecuted (or not) (hopefully they have some discretion or guiding criteria - no discretion leads to absurd results) and how to prosecute these cases. I guess time will tell.

The problem lies with the prosecutors. The DA's, SA's, AG's and USA's are all political appointments or elected by the people. Prosecutors are political. Prosecutorial discretion is a powerful tool to use to implement personal policies, beliefs and goals. Just like with legislators and executives you get the law enforcement you voted into office.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    *opinion only* most people don't grab guns by other than where you're supposed to so I doubt it, but the slides are fairly well insulated so heat is unlikely to destroy them unless fired comtinously on full auto which is more likely to destroy the firearm.
    As far as shell casings no idea, this info is all secondhand from talking to a CSI lady with the Frederick PD.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brass casings tarnish, so fingerprints can be made on the readily. Things get a little tricky when ammo is continuously handled.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you read the end of the article, Davis' solution was to introduce another gun law, making possession of an "illegal" gun punishable by a 1 year sentence. Obviously, the man is dense.

It is already a misdemeanor and punishable up to a year for carrying a firearm without a permit. Davis wants to make it a felony and longer sentences.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The problem lies with the prosecutors. The DA's, SA's, AG's and USA's are all political appointments or elected by the people. Prosecutors are political. Prosecutorial discretion is a powerful tool to use to implement personal policies, beliefs and goals. Just like with legislators and executives you get the law enforcement you voted into office.

And in my opinion, when they are up for re-election, they should be held accountable for the results and actions of their office. Too many felony gun charges plead down, no re-election for you.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I know in Moco, the whole system is a joke, from the police all the way up...I know of one case, there was video evidence and the cops wouldn't look for the other guy, everybody got most of the charges dropped or reduced to nothing...the "state" had a rock solid case...just a joke

we're a law enforcement/military family, so i'm not bashing all the cops, but holy cow, batman...cant wait to get out of this area!

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    Baltimore,Chicago or any other democrat controlled city is a cess pool.I grew up in Baltimore in the late 40`s and 50`s then it was a great place to live but not now.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

It's a Sun product - that's a requirement for it to be published. If it's not there the editor will tack it on the end of the article.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'd go in the complete other direction. Gun carry laws are unconstitutional.

In states where open (or concealed) carry is legal, carrying a weapon is not even probable cause to detain someone. Carry laws have always been just another unconstitutional excuse for police to arrest people, and an ineffective one at that.

Rather than more gun laws or complain about ineffective policing, I would go in the complete opposite direction and push for repeal. I'd sell it as a way to keep the police from harassing people. Yes, there may be a lot of criminals carrying weapons. There are also a lot of criminals who get lawyers and use their right to remain silent. Just as (alleged) criminals have some constitutional rights, they also have the right to defend themselves. Even Al Capone was allowed to carry a revolver to his own trial, at the courthouse. Imagine carrying a revolver to the courthouse today. We've come a long way, mostly in the wrong direction.

Yup. Sell it as repeal of these vestigial Jim Crow laws.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...It got me thinking about how many people have that were represented in court by members of Marylands GA that have gotten off or light sentences and then hurt of killed others when they should have been in jail. It seems like this could make an effective political ad against the likes of miller and Vallario to show they have blood on their hands.

Signs for the next MGA session? Let's not forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom