• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I have a few friends that I served in the Marines with, one owns a chain of pawn shops. Yesterday we were discussing about putting our money together and opening up a gun store. I was hoping maybe some of you guys can give us some insight. Thank you!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a few friends that I served in the Marines with, one owns a chain of pawn shops. Yesterday we were discussing about putting our money together and opening up a gun store. I was hoping maybe some of you guys can give us some insight. Thank you!

First consider the location. Then you have to find out from the ATF and MSP what you need to do. I wish you all the best, but I know of 2 gun shops near Silver Spring (Atlantic Guns and Engage), so you will have some healthy competition. Also you may want to wait till after 10/1 to see what happens with SB281 and if the law is going to get overturned. Best of luck with your venture, it isn't as easy as you may think. You may want to get in touch with an IP and ask them how to do it and what they had to do.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rather than startup a "new" gunstore , add a Gun Counter to your friends existing pawn shop.

Plan B is to open your gun store outside of Md.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you're serious about it, go talk to the guys at Gun Connection in White Marsh. If I understand correctly they are moving out of state and will be closing shop near the end if the year. Might be an opportunity for you to take over an existing location.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    You'd probably get more business opening an indoor shooting range.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    I am with the other state besides Maryland, if you want to make money . I just think with all the new laws in October 1 that Maryland gun shops are going to have a tough time making money and that is so sad ! Good Luck to you and your friend !

Oldmarylander

Jun 25, 2013
    Virginia

Just had to say it.

Unless you are willing to finance it yourself or through friends and family, you'll have a hard time securing funding for such a business venture in Maryland for a while. You are likely to see some of the smaller shops go out of business in the next 12 to 24 months or so.

Understand the post October 1 market. Many people will have spent a lot of money on regulated firearms before the October 1 deadline, in some cases, advanced purchasing years worth of firearms. That doesn't mean there won't be buyers, but it won't be like the previous 12 months.

As for legal and regulatory, I'd have no idea where to start.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ya'll think it's a joke , but alcohol , tobbaco , and firearms is a common sight at county stores in America.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    There are a lot of Avid Gun Owners here in Maryland but the thing is it will limit your products and merchandise as the only legal to sell here in Maryland are Nerf Guns...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ya'll think it's a joke , but alcohol , tobbaco , and firearms is a common sight at county stores in America.

Plenty of urbanites around here live in a bubble. They have little or no concept of what it's like driving out of state in God's country. A store I drove past in NC a few weeks ago has a large sign in front that says "GUNS AND BEER".

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I passed by a gas station- convenience store- gunshop- deli in West Virginia last week.

They had alcohol, tobacco , firearms and burittos( for me, that is a binary explosive if combined with sour cream) plus fuel.

Its one stop shopping for all your basic needs

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    You should buy Select Fire I know there are ALOT of would be customers if only the "experience" were a little more enjoyable.

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    Alcohol, Tobbaco, Firearms and Explosives? That is what I call a good weekend.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As stated, in MD, become a stocking dealer.

Attachments

• nerf.jpg
      nerf.jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 975

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads