• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have 20/20 vision. Shoot right handed but probably left eye dominant.
    I have a couple issues:
    1. After shooting, whether sighting in with irons or red dot, my eyesight feels completely screwed up. It isn't exactly that I cant focus correctly, it just feels like my focus is "stiff." Kind of hard to explain but it feels like my vision is just screwed up for 30 minutes after I get done shooting.

2. I can't actually see the bullseye at 25yds. I have a Vortex Sparc. Magpul flip up sights. With both of them the dot or the front post is bigger than the bullseye I have been using (approximately 3"x6" oval). So how do I properly sight in a rifle using that set up?

Advice and merciless bashing are both welcome.

Thanks.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    With the red dot I have both open. With irons, I haven't been able to have both open. I have had basic eye tests multiple times a yr and I always have 20/20 vision. Even at 10-15 yds I cant tell where my bullets strike on a target. I usually have to bring the target in before I can see the bullet holes. I shoot at Freestate but even at other places it seems like I can't see the holes until I bring the target closer. The only way I can sight a rifle in at 25 yds is with a scope but then that doesnt help me when I go back to using a dot or irons.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Rule 1. Never mess with your eyesight

Rule 2. There is only one rule.

Seriously, when in doubt, go get a check up, especially if you haven't had one in awhile. Rule 1 is pretty much the only reason my wife isn't blind.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I've had multiple checks on my eyes every yr for the past 5 yrs. According to dr's I have perfect vision, no abnormalities of any type.

This sounds a little weird but I think I don't truly have a dominant eye. I am left-handed while writing, throwing a frisbee, hammering; right handed when throwing a football, swinging a bat, playing pool and punching.
    I have tried various tricks to determine which eye is dominant and I have gotten left or right depending on the day.

I notice my eyesight most when playing pool. I will have 3 shots that go exactly where I want, and then one where I strike the ball perfectly but my aim is completely off. So I have always assumed that is the other eye taking over dominance.

Have you heard of that before? I also use the targets that tear around the hole and I still have trouble seeing it. So I still havent figured that out. Maybe I have 20/20 vision normally but once I start straining my eyes while shooting they quickly degrade...???

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    With the red dot I have both open. With irons, I haven't been able to have both open. I have had basic eye tests multiple times a yr and I always have 20/20 vision. Even at 10-15 yds I cant tell where my bullets strike on a target. I usually have to bring the target in before I can see the bullet holes. I shoot at Freestate but even at other places it seems like I can't see the holes until I bring the target closer. The only way I can sight a rifle in at 25 yds is with a scope but then that doesnt help me when I go back to using a dot or irons.

Shoot bigger rifles and make bigger holes.:innocent0

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I'm cross dominant (Right handed W/ Left Eye) I shoot left handed for all rifles, and move my head a little farther to the right for pistols (right hand). Pistols are difficult for me to get a good group, but then again I'm not a very good shot.. :D

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Hmmmm. So what you are saying is that I need to buy a new gun purely for medical reasons. I do believe I can get that one past the wife. :party29:

That is exactly what I am saying. Purely medicinal. I am not an optomitrist or a physician, but your wife does not need to know this.:innocent0

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Try rewetting drops. Sometimes when people are doing stuff like this they blink less and their eyes dry out.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Definitely straining your eyes I have 20-15 & 20-17 eye sight but my problem is my eyes never relax so I have glasses to help my eyes relax.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm cross dominant (Right handed W/ Left Eye) I shoot left handed for all rifles, and move my head a little farther to the right for pistols (right hand).

Same with me.

For handguns, I've been training myself to shoot both eyes open and let the weak eye's picture be over-ridden by the dominant eye. It's not a quick process, but it's showing results on paper.

I find it easier to shoot handguns at distance (50 to 105 yards) with both eyes open. And it's easier on my neck since I'm not craning over to the right to keep my left eye over towards the dominant hand.

Try it out, give it a month or two - it should help you out as well if your willing to give it a shot. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom