Westminster, MD

Attachments

• 242612205_1103475960481073_4937243430584302780_n.jpg
      242612205_1103475960481073_4937243430584302780_n.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 501

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Took a quick peek for shotgun shells of a particular variety.

I was not aware that’s there were at least 5 different ways to say everything of that specific type were out of stock, and nothing in stock.

Attachments

• D3EB8EB0-D22F-4064-9C60-819BB960C26B.jpg
      D3EB8EB0-D22F-4064-9C60-819BB960C26B.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 351

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It's probably a good thing to post a reminder every so often. MDS gets lots of new people on board over time and it's good to give them info and guidance so that their experience here, and with finding retailers, makes firearm ownership rewarding.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    OpticsPlanet does free shipping on all orders over $50, but it's their "no rush, will be here by next Christmas" shipping.

They also offer 5% and 7% discount codes on the regular.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Something else I've noticed lately is that Midway USA is undercutting their competitors on a lot of things - maybe not much, just a buck or two here or there, but I think it's helping to keep them competitive with some of the other vendors like Bass Pro/Cabela's.

Dec 31, 2012
    Something else I've noticed lately is that Midway USA is undercutting their competitors on a lot of things - maybe not much, just a buck or two here or there, but I think it's helping to keep them competitive with some of the other vendors like Bass Pro/Cabela's.

Also saw that and they received my order because of it. Seems to be consistent and not just sale price, at least for now. That is in regard to parts, and accessories, not so much for ammo. Not that either of them have ammo.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Also saw that and they received my order because of it. Seems to be consistent and not just sale price, at least for now. That is in regard to parts, and accessories, not so much for ammo. Not that either of them have ammo.
    Yep - I'm right there with you, and that's why they have gotten my last several orders on shooting accessories. It's not much, only a buck or two here and there, but it shows me that they care about their customers as much as they care about their business.

Larry Potterfield himself once sent me an email in response to a note I sent in to their generic info email address. I couldn't believe that the guy took the time to do that, and that by itself speaks volumes to me.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    A few years ago, my Mom ordered somethings from Midway over Thanksgiving weekend that couldn't ship to Maryland. The guy on the phone offered her an upgraded item at the same price for something out of stock. (Like RCBS dies instead of Lee). Mom asked if he could do that. He said, "Ma'am, I'm Larry Potterfield. I think it will work."

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A few years ago, my Mom ordered somethings from Midway over Thanksgiving weekend that couldn't ship to Maryland. The guy on the phone offered her an upgraded item at the same price for something out of stock. (Like RCBS dies instead of Lee). Mom asked if he could do that. He said, "Ma'am, I'm Larry Potterfield. I think it will work."
    That's AWESOME! I think that he was the right kind of guy for this kind of thing, and unlike what happened to Cabela's where they became a corporate giant, I think he's happy limiting the scope to keep it truly product/customer/service based.

I was always disappointed with Cabela's. I remember when they were still 100% mail order out of Sidney, Nebraska. That's close enough to my hometown and similar enough in size that we used to play them in sports, and every year they did an invitational HS marching band competition. The official history has always been that the first Cabela's retail store opened in Kearney, Nebraska in 1987. That may have been the first store that was dedicated to being a retail store, but they had a small shop on the first floor of their offices in Sidney well before that - I remember going in there with my Dad a couple of times as a kid.

In any case, they made a ton of money, but the corporate world gobbled them up, and at this point they are basically a subservient arm to Sports World/Bass Pro.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Fast shipping too!

Midway is still the fastest shipper around, usually same or next day when everyone else is days or weeks behind.
    Midway did gouge ammo prices though. This time last year I bought Hornady FTX 45-70, $39, now $62! but out of stock although I did receive notifications a couple times that it was in stock briefly and the price went up about $10 each time.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For years. Actual years.
    Yeah, I was wondering why the special mention this time. Midway USA is my # 1 internet favorite, and it gets checked at least 5 times daily. I order at least once per week from them, and it’s never under $49.00. I have a hunting ammo order arriving tomorrow.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I got some aftermarket mags from them. They didn't fit very well, so I wrote a factual review about that, including some advice on how to make them fit better.

Got an email less than a day later from customer support apologizing for the poor fit. They offered to take back the mags for a full refund without me asking. Even sent me a return label.

Since I'd already fixed them, I couldn't return them in good conscience. Still, I was favorably impressed by the offer.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got some aftermarket mags from them. They didn't fit very well, so I wrote a factual review about that, including some advice on how to make them fit better.

Got an email less than a day later from customer support apologizing for the poor fit. They offered to take back the mags for a full refund without me asking. Even sent me a return label.

Since I'd already fixed them, I couldn't return them in good conscience. Still, I was favorably impressed by the offer.
    When I first got into reloading, I had ordered a 4 lb jug of HP38 from Midway USA as a general purpose pistol powder, but specifically for 45 ACP.

They called me because their supplier hadn't come through and they weren't going to have the HP38 in stock. They called because they wanted to ask how to proceed before they just cancelled the order on me. I was able to get them to switch it to a 4 lb jug of Bullseye, and I saved a few bucks in the process, which they immediately credited back to my account.

What I liked the best was the super friendly and courteous way in which it was handled - the first part was a profuse apology and explanation for the mix-up, and the fact that they were able to take care of the whole thing over the phone - I was driving. I wasn't even home at the time

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    They've always been great, and are usually very price competitive. When they built that automated order picking/shipping system a few years ago I noticed that their prices went up, which was understandable considering the investment they put in. It's nice to hear that they're working on getting some pricing back down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom