• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Why I am writing this is I got a letter from Carroll County Zoning to tell me they got a complaint about my untagged cars and supposedly " excessive junk" on my property where someone obviously feels my cars and trucks are a bother to them. Let me see this. I OWN my house as long as the taxes are paid, NONE of these cars are driven on the public roads without Tags or Insurance, etc. YET, an offended party contacts the government to complain about MY PROPERTY. This now forces me to take corrective measures to avoid legal trouble the MAN can exact on me. Sadly, my past few years have had my days filled with caring for my elderly parents more than ever. I feel like I am always 1 step forward and 2 back in getting to their needs and yet finding time for anything else such as being with you guys, our home and car repairs, and even taking care of a bad tooth I have that has needed a root canal for over 3 years now. The attention to my parents has taken away a great amount of my ability to work a normal schedule to actually earn enough cash to live off let alone build garages, fences, car parts, and dental repairs and even that wonderful luxury we Obama era Americans were forced to buy, Obamacare.

Anyway, if anyone has some good suggestions to HIDE my offending cars and trucks that won't cost me more than $300-$400 I would love to hear from you. Sadly I was my own worst enemy and may have been able to avoid this "complaint" had I just put car covers on my untagged cars. I still may do this and tell the county that I was told by one of their ZONING czars in the 1990's that "if I had them "covered"I would be fine. SO done deal, all covered, SO PISS OFF

I am sure I am not alone in various run in's with THE MAN. So I am asking for help.

Sadly, I am not rich like Mike Bloomberg, etc and can't just throw money at all my needs and make the rest of the world blind to my owning numerous vehicles and having them running or not running well enough to tag and insure every one. The funny thing is, HOW are my cars and trucks suddenly less offensive if they have tags on them? They would still be on my property.

Sorry, I have to vent some.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Does anyone have a house for sale in the neighborhood? Apparently you have a neighbor that has too much time on their hands, and a nose that likes to sniff around. fred55

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    PS, I have 1 Building on my property that could be used to put possibly 3-4 of my Cars. MY 2 1983 Honda Civic Wagons, my sister's 1999 Camry that needs engine work, and my 1991 Fox Body Mustang. BUT the building needs repair to make it safe to house cars. The framing is old and the roof not sturdy as a result. I had plans to do these repairs and maybe to add a "run in" carport type roof extension that my trucks could then fit in, but sadly this complainer got to the county before I could make it through winter and attend to this building. I am still thinking this will be my best approach in dealing with the MAN. Explain to them, that my building needs roof work and as soon as I am able to get that finished, I can make the "issue" resolved.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you're not using them, and don't have the time to restore them, why not sell them?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Just saw your second post - you might have spread yourself too thin with projects, especially with older parents to care for.

I would sell a few of the vehicles off, and use the cash to put into the building and/or the other cars.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone have a house for sale in the neighborhood? Apparently you have a neighbor that has too much time on their hands, and a nose that likes to sniff around. fred55

I am sure they do, yup. OH and to make matters even clearer. I have a house next door to me that the owner lives in a different house on the corner at the closest intersection maybe 1000 feet away. His daughter and her husband were living in it maybe 10 years ago and began to renovate it until the father pissed the son in law off and they moved and left the house undone. Then the owner had some workers strip the decent exterior asbestos shingles stripped off and left only raw, aged wood clapboard siding exposed and the house abandoned all this time.

I also have other neighbors in our row of only about 5 houses who have various cars and trucks and tractors and old outbuildings, and houses in various stages of repair, which leads me to wonder if they got notices too.

Our little place sits in a row of about 7 total houses in about a 1/4 mile long section of road. 2 of which are built in the 1980's-90's as book ends, with our other 5 in between that are all pre 1900.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Put car covers on the cars. Tags/no tags not visible. At that point it is trespassing or other law violations to check/verify?
    INAL

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just saw your second post - you might have spread yourself too thin with projects, especially with older parents to care for.

I would sell a few of the vehicles off, and use the cash to put into the building and/or the other cars.

Thank you 1/2 cocked. I agree about the thin, SADLY, but then again, I was not as thin until just recently with the downturn of my parent's health happening suddenly and simultaneously.

Also, sadly, I would lose too much money if I sell my stuff in the current condition some of them sit. I was hoping to get the nicest ones fixed up well enough to actually make a decent return on, and work my way up to my others that could be my keepers. Good suggestion, 1/2 cocked. Too bad the process got accelerated before I was ready.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Put car covers on the cars. Tags/no tags not visible. At that point it is trespassing or other law violations to check/verify?
    INAL

Glaron, yes this was my exact thought.

I will get them repositioned less obtrusively and then cover them. Considering adding a Fenced in yard to where it will clearly be trespassing to even know the vehicles that I can't get into my one building I mentioned trying to renovate, even exist if they are behind a fence and under car covers.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    From my experience, no the authorities will not tell you who complained so there is no escalation/retaliation. County codes cover all this stuff that happens in/on a property if it gets to be an environmental/health/or varmint concern. On the street and tagging another beast. Would have been more courteous to touch base with you FTF but they probably figured it would not get resolved if it has been collecting for some time.
    I was reported a long time ago in a different county as I was parting out an old mustang. It had valid tags and was covered on the street unless I was working on it. I informed my immediate neighbors of my plans that it would be gone soon and they were cool.....but some douche bag dog walker from another street didn't like it. I was told by the officer that if I put it in my yard with a cover I was good to go. I went hog wild removing parts. On his next visit, car still in street but uncovered, uninsured, un-tagged and without tires(and much more) he was kind of annoyed. Said he told me to put it in my yard and we were good! I told him it was an abandoned car and now his responsibility and he could tell that to the concerned citizen. Towed away no cost to me.
    The other time was a 67 GTO that sat on the street with valid tags and the old school "urban paint job" but didn't move much. Got a compliant that it was abandoned despite the tags. Cops said just move it back and forth parked in front of the house and no worries. Solved.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    They won’t come on to your property or move a cover to verify a complaint. They will to see if a valid complaint has been corrected. Start looking at another solution.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks GUYS for your previous suggestions AND 1 TIME for your most recent answer. I will be making it so NO ONE but me will be able to see my vehicles and or know what is inside my yard once I get my materials in hand. That snowflake that complained, JUST POKED THE HORNET'S NEST and pissed off the wrong homeowner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom