• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Until the DEA drops MJ off of the Schedule 1 drug list, the BATF&E will enforce the prohibited person rule.

There is really no other scenario that can be argued.

States can make their laws allowing MJ and gun possession, but it will still be a federal crime. Schedule 1 listing means there is no medical use, even though the U.S. Government owns the patent on medical cannabis.

Except that the FDA has granted use to medical marijuana for at least two applications now. FDA has been working with DEA to reclassify as a Schedule 2 drug, but DEA is dragging its heels.

So you have one federal agency saying there are medical uses and another saying there aren’t. I know which one is more qualified to judge.

PS cocaine is a schedule 2 as it does have medical uses and is prescribed in some cases.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've got a novel idea, how about the Federal Government stay the ef out of it?

It's fairly obvious they know they'll lose revenue from the fact that people will almost certainly consume less alcohol and possibly other legal recreational (prescription) drugs that are all but openly abused and no one seems to mind.....<cough-cough>........Adderall.....Xanax....

Who exactly is all that worried about their stoner neighbor anyway? Is that the guy who's going to be rooting through your shed at 2AM? Are they the ones who will have knock down/drag out fights at all hours of the night and have the police at the house?

Hint.........NO, they're not.

More about the prison industry and stodgily trying to apply their morals to anyone and everyone around them. Either or. Or both depending on the person.

There are accepted medical uses and recreational use is generally less adverse to health and conduct than alcohol use is.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    More about the prison industry and stodgily trying to apply their morals to anyone and everyone around them. Either or. Or both depending on the person.

There are accepted medical uses and recreational use is generally less adverse to health and conduct than alcohol use is.

Yeah, pretty obvious to even the causal onlooker. The issue now is we've got a whole generation and a half who still fully believe the Reefer Madness story they were fed.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Wow, i get busy for a few days and come back to 14 pages. Thanks to everyone who posted links and information, some of it is very helpful.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Heck let them remove it from being banned and tax the heck out of it since that would mostly stop the cartels transporting weed over the boarder mabe, and the tax collected could be used to pay off the national debt which might be paid off with in 5yrs if it sells like hot cakes then after that rebuild all the interstates in the US as well. DEA knows their are medical befits using parts of the weed, they just want to play the obummer game since Trump is POTUS right now..

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Asking for a friend:innocent0. Should I be storing guns and ammo in separate cabinets?

I do, I have my home defense weapons and CCW weapons that are always loaded and locked away. The majority that aren’t used for the above are locked up separately (guns/ammo/mags). I have multiple levels of security but I sleep easier knowing with a 6/8 year old in the house that even for them it’s multiple layers of locks between them and a functioning weapon.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I do, I have my home defense weapons and CCW weapons that are always loaded and locked away. The majority that aren’t used for the above are locked up separately (guns/ammo/mags). I have multiple levels of security but I sleep easier knowing with a 6/8 year old in the house that even for them it’s multiple layers of locks between them and a functioning weapon.

When I had a little one around I removed function parts and locked them separately. Never had a problem but they would have had multiple locks and needed an armorer.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have no little ones here except me, my wife and the dog. My son comes over once in a while when he is in town due to him being a over the road trucker and he has his own rifle since he is 33yrs old. So do not have to worry about little ones getting at my arms. That being said when my granddaughter gets older and she starts to spend the weekend with grandpappy and grandma you better believe it that my arms will be under lock and key plus 2..

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    I cannot find anything that touches on her husbands weapons or weapons within the house etc.

Do you know why you can’t find it? Bc it doesn’t exist. Federal/state law says illegal drug *users* can’t possess or purchase firearms. It doesn’t say anything about the illegal drug user’s spouse, friends, family members, neighbors, etc.

I bet your “coworker” would qualify for a medical marijuana card....sounds like he has a bad case of BGOS.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Asking for a friend:innocent0. Should I be storing guns and ammo in separate cabinets?
    That is up to you. You can separate both and it will make it harder for an accident to happen. You could remove the bolts, or slides for further piece of mind. But you still need to be aware of the rules. Guns are always loaded until you visual and physically check them. Never keep a gun loaded in storade. Never mix blanks and live ammo or different caliber. There are more rules and a person should understand all them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    That is up to you. You can separate both and it will make it harder for an accident to happen. You could remove the bolts, or slides for further piece of mind. But you still need to be aware of the rules. Guns are always loaded until you visual and physically check them. Never keep a gun loaded in storade. Never mix blanks and live ammo or different caliber. There are more rules and a person should understand all them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Understood and agree. I take safety and storage seriously. I was actually wondering if I missed and new statutes regarding storage. I know there were some proposed rules floating around (esp. in DE) regarding storage.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And most important that hasn't been mentioned is to start teaching the rules of gun safety as soon as the kids can understand so they grow up knowing and practicing the rules so they become habits.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    And most important that hasn't been mentioned is to start teaching the rules of gun safety as soon as the kids can understand so they grow up knowing and practicing the rules so they become habits.

...and this will protect them where you don't control the storage!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    ...and this will protect them where you don't control the storage!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I would hope any gun owner would do that, the real problem is teaching non-gun owners. They need to teach their kids as well, and even the adults on what not to do. But that would be "being responsible", and you would have to mention "gun". I say that because most adults these days pretty much their only knowledge of firearms are from movies.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I don't have kids but on average you want to also avoid making guns into this forbidden fruit that is too tempting to ignore if you do slip up and leave one out. Regular safety instruction and supervised shooting can reduce the temptation of that magical chance to play with the gun if they find it. But you know your particular kids better than generalized advice.
    Plus that safety instruction may save them from doing something reckless at someone else's home even if you don't own any firearms.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The most unpopular posting in this thread

If that were the case why is Oxycontin, Alcohol, Tobacco and High Fructose Corn Syrup fully legal for use?

Those four kill hundreds of thousands of people a year.....

Weed..........zero.

Not at all true, not if indirect deaths are tabulated. My uncle was killed in Georgia by a stoner driving his car high on weed. I witnessed the destruction and devastation that his loss caused to his wife and to his two small children, both short and long-term. This is not a victimless crime.

This is also not a "follow the money" deal as some have claimed here. The FDA and the DEA have marijuana listed as a Schedule 1 drug - for a reason. Personal anecdotal stories do not pass muster with the scientific method, nor do "studies" funded by self-interests or narrowly crafted in advance to get a predetermined answer. You might as well ask about Bloomberg's or Johns Hopkins University's studies on "common sense gun safety" as a good analogy of "research" designed to sway the public opinion, not inform the scientific base of knowledge.

I, and no doubt millions of other Americans who believe the same way, are willing to be convinced in the other direction, but here's what I believe would have to be done first:

• Independent (no axe to grind), controlled scientific studies that both demonstrate a validated medical benefit, and also explain why previous studies showing the opposite were flawed,
    • Valid studies demonstrating equivalent levels of impairment between a BAC of 0.08 and a THC level matching that level of impairment - call it X,
    • A roadside test that LEO can administer (and can be sustained judicially) to determine the THC levels present in a suspected impaired driver,
    • All 50 states to pass laws prohibiting driving while impaired at that level X of impairment while under the influence of THC,
    • State laws allowing private employers to test and to sanction employees under the influence of THC, if they believe such impairment affects their work performance or the company's liability.

I'd also like to find some way to control the fake pill-pushing doctors ... you've no doubt seen the undercover videos of doctors who spend 30 seconds with "patients" who want controlled substances, never examine the person in the room, never ask them any diagnostic questions, and are with them only long enough to fill out the prescription forms and to collect their co-pay. I know this is a systemic problem that only starts with the opioids and others, but it certainly is going to continue on to dope as well, now that states are making that legal. I have to be honest; it frosts my shorts to see all of these small hand-planted signs all along the roadways popping up recently about "Need a medical marijuana card?" followed by a picture of a weed plant and a phone number. Great way to surgically market to your target audience, eh? :sad20:

And anticipating some replies based on previous postings: no - I don't smoke cigarettes, and I don't consume alcohol, so I'm not being hypocritical in this position.

The anti-marijuana position is not motivated by many of the things previously stated in this thread. Millions of sincere Americans just like myself have seen the utter destruction marijuana causes in real people's lives, or have known stoners who ride this horse simply because they want to get their high on weed. It's easy to point at big government, or big pharma, or whatever as an excuse; there are real faces of real broken families and real victims standing on the other side.

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not going to quote that whole post. I'm sure some (some) people die due to being under the influence of Cannabis. You've got a first hand example and that sucks for sure.

Let's see some actual stats though. We know (over decades of data and research) that alcohol is deadly in many different situations up to and including the fact that if you sit down and consume enough it will straight up KILL you on it's own.

Why after literally centuries of use is there not an overwhelming pool of evidence that marijuana is as such?

It's actually still (in my mind) no more than a rhetorical question...... because there is none.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I'm not going to quote that whole post. I'm sure some (some) people die due to being under the influence of Cannabis. You've got a first hand example and that sucks for sure.

Let's see some actual stats though. We know (over decades of data and research) that alcohol is deadly in many different situations up to and including the fact that if you sit down and consume enough it will straight up KILL you on it's own.

Why after literally centuries of use is there not an overwhelming pool of evidence that marijuana is as such?

It's actually still (in my mind) no more than a rhetorical question...... because there is none.

It was a stoner, high on weed that stuck a 12ga in my face and threatened to kill me. First hand experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom