• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    'This grotesque proliferation of guns' | Wilmington mayor reacts as 5th death from gun violence in 3 hours announced

So, the only way things will get better is if we (govt) take your guns. :mad54:

A 28-year-old man was shot and killed in a double shooting in the 2400 block of Jessup Street Monday night, police announced Tuesday afternoon. The reveal of this death makes five people dead and three others injured, including a 12-year-old girl, by gun violence in less than three hours on the evening in question.

However, in an incident that left two adult women shot and killed, a 12-year-old girl injured, and the male suspect dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, Purzycki said he tries to process the incident as being domestic in nature.

"The other one was a tragic domestic thing that, it just hurts to think that people have such despair that that's the only solution for dealing with their pain and frustration," Purzycki said. "And so, you kind of compartmentalize it in one way. You compartmentalize it from the point of this problem-solving point-of-view, and you put that aside and say, 'This is either a mental illness or deep depression or some other pathology that I can't imagine you can do much about, other than to create a better environment to live in.'"

There's one answer that would seem to solve some of the issue, but Purzycki said it's a step his administration isn't ready to take and he's not sure the public even wants.

"Look, aside from kind of an emotional pathology that exists everywhere, we just have this grotesque proliferation of guns," Purzycki said. "And the only way to get guns off the street, frankly, is to start bending the Constitution, which we're not about to do, and I don't think the public wants to do. But they have to understand that, except for getting guns off the street, we're kind of limited in what we can do."

Wilmington isn't alone in this issue, Purzycki pointed out, with violence across the nation trending as more people take to the streets following a year where many stayed inside during the pandemic. And while he said shorter sentences, smaller bail, and repeat offenders committing acts "over and over again," led to the trend, to focus on long-term solutions, he said the city needed to be healthier.

https://www.wdel.com/news/this-grot...cle_afbbd6d8-eeef-11eb-b713-b701daa9825c.html

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    They've already "bent" the Constitution hundreds of times. You can't even find a straight answer as to how many gun control laws are on the books, counting federal, state, and local.

Yet, the more "bent" they get, the less effective their laws become in fighting crime. More gun laws, more crime.

Maybe they should try getting "unbent," and start enforcing laws against criminal acts: murder, rape, drug dealing, gang violence, etc.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Pffttt... the politicians and judges have been bending the Constituitoon for a very long time.

What he means is ignore the Constitution.

My bet is even if guns were not around, the violence would be.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    There should be a simple litmus test for elected officials from the POTUS to dog catcher... if you don't understand the constitution, you can't hold office. Period.

But... depends on what the meaning of "is," is. -- Bill Clinton.

It takes a Yale (Bill and Hillary's alma mater) or similar law degree to be deemed capable of understanding and making such a determination. Yale law current tuition + expenses = $93,923 /year for 3 years = $281,769 -- AFTER your 4-year undergraduate degree. https://law.yale.edu/admissions/cost-financial-aid/cost-attendance

You can get a scholarship if you're of the "correct," desirable makeup, to ensure that you pass their simple litmus test.

Only then can you qualify to hold office, at least in many Blue States and jurisdictions. Regular, successful people with real-life experience need not apply (and will be politically crucified if they try, unless meeting the identity or wokeness criteria).

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    "You have to give up your rights because people who have no right to possess one in the first place are using them for evil and that will solve the problem".

Take the Mayor's car to prevent drunk driving! Not by the Mayor but by those other people out there. It's common sense drunk driving laws!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There should be a simple litmus test for elected officials from the POTUS to dog catcher... if you don't understand the constitution, you can't hold office. Period.

No. Many of them understand it, hate it, and have no interest in following it.
    If you’re not going to follow The Constitution you shouldn’t be able to hold office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    No. Many of them understand it, hate it, and have no interest in following it.
    If you’re not going to follow The Constitution you shouldn’t be able to hold office.

I agree. While I’m ok with criticism of the constitution and I people even have a right to try and change the constitution, as public officials they should be 100% required to uphold it while in office.

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    Laytonsville, MD
    "And the only way to get guns off the street, frankly, is to start bending the Constitution, which we're not about to do, and I don't think the public wants to do. But they have to understand that, except for getting guns off the street, we're kind of limited in what we can do."

See what I did there. Sounds like a poor choice of words born from understandable frustration in light of recent events...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    "And the only way to get guns off the street, frankly, is to start bending the Constitution, which we're not about to do, and I don't think the public wants to do. But they have to understand that, except for getting guns off the street, we're kind of limited in what we can do."

See what I did there. Sounds like a poor choice of words born from understandable frustration in light of recent events...

Yes they are limited in what they (government) can do, that’s the whole effing point.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    "Except for getting guns off the streets, were kind of limited in what we can do"

Are you an American or an American't, Governor?

Off the top of my head:.

More funding for mental health hospitals
    Decreasing the stigma of people in crisis
    More options and avenues for people with mental health issues
    Less lifelong negative impacts for using mental health outreach programs.
    Less big pharma price gouging for psych meds

But what do I know? I just work with mental health patients every day.

n1hook

Feb 28, 2010
    Parkville
    Failure in: in the drug war,gang control,in education,the breakdown in families,failure in religion and morality in general,defund the police,no bail,failure to prosecute quality of life crimes by some prosecutors…makes for a toxic stew.

The constitution does not bend it is the bedrock the contract with citizens.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Child murders: The drug gangs know that kids don't do time for selling drugs. So the 12-15 yo's are the front line sales in new territories. Turf battles ensue and these children are killed.

The ruling cabal know this. They also know that they can score political points by not bringing up the facts of broken families and societal pressure to join these drug gangs. So the city, county and state leaders use their favorite political diversion of "gun control legislation" to score points with those afflicted by the latest street gang horrors. These leaders know that explaining the violence is due to the actual societal issues tolerated in these neighborhoods is a quick way to get voted out of office.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This! :thumbsup:

If you violate your oath to uphold the constitution, then you are DQ'd from holding any office that requires said oath.

Even better, if you violate your oath, you should be placed in jail for a minimum of 10 years. That sh*t would stop immediately.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Failure in: in the drug war,gang control,in education,the breakdown in families,failure in religion and morality in general,defund the police,no bail,failure to prosecute quality of life crimes by some prosecutors…makes for a toxic stew.

The constitution does not bend it is the bedrock the contract with citizens.

You don't need to be religious to be a decent person. There's a saying "religion is the leading cause of death" or something to that effect. If it's not true, it's probably close.

I agree with the breakdown in morality but don't agree that religion is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom