• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Got this update this morning at work

NASA’s commercial cargo provider, Northrop Grumman, is set to launch its 13th contracted resupply mission to the International Space Station no earlier than Sunday, Feb. 9, at 5:39 p.m. EST from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. A Cygnus cargo spacecraft will launch aboard an Antares rocket from Virginia Space’s Mid-Atlantic Spaceport at Wallops.

Cargo will include crew supplies, hardware and materials for scientific investigations, including the Mobile SpaceLab, Mochii investigation, OsteoOmics investigation, Phage Evolution investigation, Spacecraft Fire Experiment-IV and more. Data from some of these investigations, as well as their maintenance, could prove valuable for future crewed Artemis missions to the Moon or missions to Mars.

Weather permitting, the launch may be visible to the public in some areas on the East Coast. Mission information, updates and live video of the launch are available via the Wallops Mission Status Center. Clicking on the “Tracking” link allows users to determine when and where they may be able to see the rocket after liftoff. The site is accessible on a smartphone, computer or tablet with most browsers.

The public may also view the launch from the Wallops Visitor Center, which will open at 1:30 p.m. on the day of launch. Information about the visitor center, including directions, is available here.

Live launch coverage will begin on NASA TV at 5 p.m. EST.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I was given an invitation to watch the launch at Wallops. Drove there Saturday to register, was there Sunday pretty much all day to abort 3 minutes from launch and drove home to Accokeek last night.

Darn...really doesn’t cover it ;)

Sorry to hear that, I actually debated on driving ~17 miles from my house to a spot close to the island to get a better view! I was pretty sure they were going to get this one up on schedule, although they almost never do...

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    My son and I stood outside until 6:10 then gave up on it.

I need to start following the schedules for these

A few years ago, when they first started launching from Wallops, my boy and I stayed up til 11:30 and watched one rise up into the sky from the SE and even saw boosters separate and continue on. That was amazing.

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    I was given an invitation to watch the launch at Wallops. Drove there Saturday to register, was there Sunday pretty much all day to abort 3 minutes from launch and drove home to Accokeek last night.

my fiance's mother and step dad were also there, they were not too thrilled about it being scrubbed after standing around for hours. their drive was a whole lot shorter though, only like 30 minutes

I was jealous that they got to go until it was scrubbed :lol2:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    my fiance's mother and step dad were also there, they were not too thrilled about it being scrubbed after standing around for hours. their drive was a whole lot shorter though, only like 30 minutes

I was jealous that they got to go until it was scrubbed :lol2:

In the 90's I worked on ground stations for an experimental communications satellite (ACT) that was going up on the shuttle. We were given VIP seats for the shuttle launch, so I drove down to Canaveral. They scrubbed at 0:10.

Long drive home.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

My wife and I drove 3+ hrs from Crownsville arriving in the area right around noon. We managed to be like 4th or 5th car into the Visitor Center when they opened the lot at 1:30pm. Waited 4+ hrs only to be disappointed. This is the third time over the years I tried to see a launch and all have been rescheduled. Starting to feel like a jinx. We did meet some nice people and the weather wasn't bad if just a bit cool (mainly due to a significant breeze). So there was that.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    My wife and I drove 3+ hrs from Crownsville arriving in the area right around noon. We managed to be like 4th or 5th car into the Visitor Center when they opened the lot at 1:30pm. Waited 4+ hrs only to be disappointed. This is the third time over the years I tried to see a launch and all have been rescheduled. Starting to feel like a jinx. We did meet some nice people and the weather wasn't bad if just a bit cool (mainly due to a significant breeze). So there was that.

Oh, so you caused the abort! ;)

We also met some great people and the anticipation was great. And it wasn’t too cold once I put on my new Wallops fleece. Wish they had food offerings in the hangar and something other than cookies and chips at the viewing site. The Royal Farms box I got in the drive back couldn’t have tasted better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom