• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd also like to hear if the gypsy population in the area causes any trouble for anyone. My search seems to have me looking more and more in the Grant County area.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I'd like to know about the mineral rights and how that works also. Is it something that can be redeemed (like ground rent in the City)?

No.

It’s like surface property, but underground. And mineral rights tracts may not match up with surface lot tracts.

A lot of the minerals are now mapped, thanks to all the gas and oil investment in the state.

You’re welcome to find out who owns the minerals, and try to buy them, but that that person or company has zero obligation to sell them.

as pointed out above, most minerals are severed from the surface property in WV. Finding them in tact is the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    6 miles east of I79 East Fairmont.

Nice. I’m just a few minutes down the road in Clarksburg if you ever need someone to check in on things. Feel free to PM me for contact info. I often take my car out just to drive around and I’m back and forth from Morgantown quite a bit.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I'd like to know about the mineral rights and how that works also. Is it something that can be redeemed (like ground rent in the City)?
    The work is in finding the true owner, or mostly likely heirs. Gas companies actively buy rights, but usually only for exploration.
    Can't be redemmed unless you find the owners and offer them $$. Even now, most people sell property and say the rights do not convey or there are no mineral rights as they are presumed already gone. It's all touchy, and where my property is, it's not worth mining. Maybe if coal starts running out in the easy places.
    Wv has alot of mine information. Maps, depths, thickness. Pretty much everything you want to know.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I suppose (like most people) I wouldn't care about it unless they decided to construct a rig and line 50' from my house. Could be cause for concern on a small(ish) parcel if roads and a pipeline are part of the rights......

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I suppose (like most people) I wouldn't care about it unless they decided to construct a rig and line 50' from my house. Could be cause for concern on a small(ish) parcel if roads and a pipeline are part of the rights......

You’re not powerless as the surface owner. You still have to negotiate right of ways, rent, free gas, and/or additional royalties (typically an “overriding royalty” because it is over top of the mandatory 12.5% that goes to all the mineral owners).

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

That's exactly the problem. You buy 100acres of secluded country as your own hunting land and someone comes and builds a pad and a gravel road to start drilling. The surface owner has very little rights. The gas company determines where they want to drill and where to put their access road. You can negotiate about details , but if they own the rights they will drill.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Interesting.

Seems that the only properties with subsurface rights still "intact" are very (very) large improved parcels, WAY above my price range anyway.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    You’re not powerless as the surface owner. You still have to negotiate right of ways, rent, free gas, and/or additional royalties (typically an “overriding royalty” because it is over top of the mandatory 12.5% that goes to all the mineral owners).

What do you mean mandatory 12.5%?

To the surface owners?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    What do you mean mandatory 12.5%?

To the surface owners?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

No, to the mineral owners. Gas and oil companies typically only lease the drilling rights. They’ll pick a spot, drill, then whatever comes out of the whole the mineral owners gets an automatic 12.5% as a royalty, off the top, pre-expenses. This is state law.

But other parties can negotiate royalties above and beyond that, overriding royalties, because they override state minimum of 12.5%.

One of the most common awards to surface owners for dealing with wells on their property is “house gas” or free gas.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    No, to the mineral owners. Gas and oil companies typically only lease the drilling rights. They’ll pick a spot, drill, then whatever comes out of the whole the mineral owners gets an automatic 12.5% as a royalty, off the top, pre-expenses. This is state law.

But other parties can negotiate royalties above and beyond that, overriding royalties, because they override state minimum of 12.5%.
    I did not know this, thanks.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I got family on a big farm right outside of Petersburg, travel out there a lot.

A few years ago they got hit pretty good with gypsy moths. Someone who owns a cabin up the mountain paid for a aerial spraying, they probably lucked out a little with some overspray maybe. It was several thousand to get someone to do that last I heard

The forest service sprayed like 10 years ago or so when they were getting close to the monongahela national forest but they didn't this time 2-3 years ago. Farm property backs right up to it

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Given where Pushrod is located, yeah, actually a mil for that much acreage actually is a bit of a bargain.
    The values seem to vary widely. I haven't spent a lot of time (yet) researching sales.

I've seen as low as exactly $1k/Acre all the way up to around $5K for ground that is around 50% pasture/"flat" ground.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Keeping in mind, AG (immediate income producing) parcels in Cecil, Kent, Harford, QA (and other) Counties is selling between $7,000 and $9,500/acre in decent size parcels. While I'm not trying to make a direct comparison to mountain parcels, just saying it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy ground with limited use, particularly if there is an element of an adverse easement(s) and/or future mineral rights worries. Or, at least not pay as much as what those useful parcels sell for.....

I wish it were a possibility to stretch my search area a tad further West but I'm afraid it will hamper my Wife's interest in making the ride as often as I think I'm going to want. I'm fully envious of you guys whom have been able to jump in feet first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom