• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I am putting my second AR together and looking to do an 18 inch SPR type. I'm not trying to break the bank with this upper as I'm not doing competitions. I have seen a few DPMS barreled uppers on the PK Firearms website that fit the bill but I don't have any experience with the brand. The upper I will jump on if the money allows is the Stag arms 3G upper, it's set up just the way I want just wish the stainless barrel was black stainless but I could get over that.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I would not hesitate to buy another DPMS. My first build was off of a DPMS stripped upper and lower. Everything fit great and the rifle with a DD barrel is a tack driver.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    What are you looking to pay. There is a guy on ar15 that usually has great prices on stag. He has a kit deal right now for 549 excluding the reciver which is pretty damn good.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The mini sass was one of the two dpms uppers I was looking at, the other was the mk12 model. The 18 inch black stainless steel barrel is one of the key features I'm looking for along with as long a handguard as possible. I don't like the short handguard/lots of barrel look, kind of goofy looking. I may do the "buy once, cry once" with the Stag 3G upper after the holiday crap is over. Thanks for all the advice.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If it's a plinker or a hunting rig, DPMS is great at the right price. If you plan to use it for serious defensive work or it's going to have a high round count, you may want to look at upgrading to a different brand with harder barrel steel or at least going with a different brand for the bolt carrier group. If it's just for some relatively mild AR fun though you should be quite happy.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Id probably lean towards Delton or Spikes for 5.56.

For .308 there are not as many good builds, I will be putting my LR308 AP4 up for sale pretty soon as I have a different configuration in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom