• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Any thoughts on a good full size .22 LR revolver..... Would prefer double action if a decent one is available at a decent price..... Thanks!

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Wait...stop...Ruger's coming out with some lightweights. The SP-101 is a heavy gun and I think I'd opt for an LCR or a lightweight S&W. But if you're looking for something heavier, the SP-101 is an excellent choice.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If we're talking new, it's tough to beat the Ruger SP101 4" price-wise. Saw one in person a week ago. Mighty spiffy. There's also the S&W Model 317 Kit Gun and S&W Model 63.

I recommend looking for something used. I often see used DA 22LR revolvers in very nice condition for about $300 to $400. If you find a nice used S&W Model 18, that's the one to have.

For about $250, you should be able to get an old but very nice H&R Sportsman (top break).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If we're talking new, it's tough to beat the Ruger SP101 4" price-wise. Saw one in person a week ago. Mighty spiffy. There's also the S&W Model 317 Kit Gun and S&W Model 63.

I recommend looking for something used. I often see used DA 22LR revolvers in very nice condition for about $300 to $400. If you find a nice used S&W Model 18, that's the one to have.

For about $250, you should be able to get an old but very nice H&R Sportsman (top break).

I havent seen a H&R sportsman in that price range since I missed one on here from a member. Last 80% gun I saw was priced at about $350. If you see one in the $250 range let me know, this is on my want list and has been for a while.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The S&W 617 is the only non-Ruger revolver I won. Those are Hogue aftermarket grips on it. That's 1 6" barrel, cropping the photo made it look like a 4"

Attachments

• P1030193.jpg
      P1030193.jpg
      100.9 KB · Views: 343

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I havent seen a H&R sportsman in that price range since I missed one on here from a member. Last 80% gun I saw was priced at about $350. If you see one in the $250 range let me know, this is on my want list and has been for a while.

Last month, I saw a 999 at Just Guns in Parkville for $350. It was the nicest one I've ever seen. Literally looked brand new in every way. I think they had the original box for it. Maybe it's still there.

I got my 999 for $250 about 18 months ago. I'd say it's 90%+. Most people would call it "like new". One very minor bluing scratch. The hammer had a tiny bit of rust I took care of.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If you want a single action check out the Heritage Rough Riders. They are very well made and most come with an additional cylinder allowing you to shoot both 22LR and 22 magnum if you want.

mahead

Jan 6, 2009
    Frederick
    i will be picking up a taurus 94 in4 more days, I plan to pull it apart clean it well, it needs it do a little polishing and mabe play with the springs. it feels really nice and solid so we shall see. just couldn't bring myself to pay at least twice as much for a plinker.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What is the quality on those?

Very nice. To be honest the firm I work for does do some work for them in other regions, and though I don't rep for them in my region, I have worked their table at distributor shows. The dealers I have spoken to at those shows just love them because they almost never come back with problems, and in the rare event there is an issue the factory is very responsive. If I'm not mistaken all of the .22's are entirely US made as well. As soon as I get some free time I'm planning on ordering one of their .357 SAA type guns.

RR45CH7_lg.jpg

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    Picked up a S&W 18 LNIB (outside of Colt, the deepest blue I ever saw), but it was a bit more than $3-$400 and definitely worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom