Huhhh? Crosman 760 with rifled barrel???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdm4540

May 13, 2011
    It's not a 760, but I have my 766 from 30 years ago (very cool Christmas present) with the original box and the box says the barrel is rifled. I loved that gun. It still shoots as good as it did when I was 15. Only thing replaced were the air seals about 15 years ago.

Tim

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Sorry, old thread bump.:innocent0

But, recently my old 760 was failing to pump/build pressure and was generally a little weathered. I decided to pick up a new version at Walmart and was really surprised that the barrel was a smooth bore... really??? My original is close to 20 years old has a rifled barrel :thumbsup:. Well, I swapped barrels and have the best of both. The welded sights on the old barrel are better than the new chintzy clip/slip on fiber optic plastic junk.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sorry, old thread bump.:innocent0

But, recently my old 760 was failing to pump/build pressure and was generally a little weathered. I decided to pick up a new version at Walmart and was really surprised that the barrel was a smooth bore... really??? My original is close to 20 years old has a rifled barrel :thumbsup:. Well, I swapped barrels and have the best of both. The welded sights on the old barrel are better than the new chintzy clip/slip on fiber optic plastic junk.

Rifling is a step in the manufacturing process that costs money. Probably only a few pennies, per unit, but that's irrelevant when the mantra today seems to be "squeeze every penny possible to increase the bottom line". I doubt 9 out of 10 Walmart buyers care, or even know, what difference a rifled barrel makes. They just know it's cheap.

MachtSchnell

Jul 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Rifling is a step in the manufacturing process that costs money. Probably only a few pennies, per unit, but that's irrelevant when the mantra today seems to be "squeeze every penny possible to increase the bottom line". I doubt 9 out of 10 Walmart buyers care, or even know, what difference a rifled barrel makes. They just know it's cheap.

I find it funny how nearly everything is so cheaply made nowadays, but actually it's kinda saddening.

The old rifled barrel version was extremely accurate with both pellets and BB's, but I actually cannot attest to the accuracy of the new smooth bore variant; and I imagine it's not too great.

When I purchased the new model I automatically assumed it was rifled like the old reliable (but in this case not so reliable.) I bet a lot of the sales of the 760 are to people just like me who see it and say "I remember shooting that when I was a kid" and buy it on a whim.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That may explain my experience with Crosman 760's.

We had one that wore out the pump seals; you had to pump fast and shoot right away. So we bought a new one ... that never shot half as well as the original. Never thought about switching out the barrels.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I find it funny how nearly everything is so cheaply made nowadays, but actually it's kinda saddening.

The old rifled barrel version was extremely accurate with both pellets and BB's, but I actually cannot attest to the accuracy of the new smooth bore variant; and I imagine it's not too great.

When I purchased the new model I automatically assumed it was rifled like the old reliable (but in this case not so reliable.) I bet a lot of the sales of the 760 are to people just like me who see it and say "I remember shooting that when I was a kid" and buy it on a whim.

That was my exact reason for buying a new one. I wish I had my old 70's model 760 still, it was one accurate little air rifle. This new one... not so much, now I know why.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a Crosman 1377, that I bought in the early 80's. It has a rifled barrel, I wonder if the current model does? It's primarily a pellet gun, so it should.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Joshua M. Smith

Hoosier
    Apr 8, 2011
    Wabash IN
    I personally have not seen a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster without a rifled barrel.

This includes one from the early '90s and one made relatively recently. The recent one is junk, though, compared to the '90s model. I don't recommend the new ones with plastic sights. Not accurate at all.

Josh

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I bought mine new when I was 12, that was 44 years ago. It took me months to work and save and pay off the layaway on it. It is rifled and with 10 pumps (it's 'sweet spot') i could consistantly hit the pipes of football goal posts from around 35 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom