• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Starting to think about sighting in my .22 for the Appleseed next month and will defer to your expertise on ammo options. I'm either going to use the Marlin 60 or 795. I don't mind spending a little more cash as .22 is cheap to start with- even the good stuff. Thanks--

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Try some wolf match target. It works great with 10/22

+1 what he said, but i prefer the extra match if you can get some....shoots incredibly well out of my 795. also nice that almost all target ammo(eley, green tag, wolf...) is also subsonic. They tend to be pretty quiet. When i shoot them out of the 795 the biggest noise i hear is the thwang of the recoil spring in the reciever as the bolt rides back against it. The wolf match and extra match have some weird super-slippery almost siliconish lube on them that leaves your fingers greasy feeling(makes loading the magazine a little tricky) but really does a ncie job of not fouling up the bore.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    +1 what he said, but i prefer the extra match if you can get some....shoots incredibly well out of my 795. also nice that almost all target ammo(eley, green tag, wolf...) is also subsonic. They tend to be pretty quiet. When i shoot them out of the 795 the biggest noise i hear is the thwang of the recoil spring in the reciever as the bolt rides back against it. The wolf match and extra match have some weird super-slippery almost siliconish lube on them that leaves your fingers greasy feeling(makes loading the magazine a little tricky) but really does a ncie job of not fouling up the bore.

Guthook actually the guy who told me about them and shot few rounds on his rifle. Got home and ordered a thousand from cabelas. They only had the match for a good price. $5 per 50 last I recall.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Guthook actually the guy who told me about them and shot few rounds on his rifle. Got home and ordered a thousand from cabelas. They only had the match for a good price. $5 per 50 last I recall.

good old 3rdrcn flat out gave me a few boxes of match and extra match one time up at delta to try on the woods walk. Later on paper, i got smaller groups with the extra match...not really sure of the exact difference to be honest. they've got some weird green powder inside when i pulled a bullet out of curiosity.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    good old 3rdrcn flat out gave me a few boxes of match and extra match one time up at delta to try on the woods walk. Later on paper, i got smaller groups with the extra match...not really sure of the exact difference to be honest. they've got some weird green powder inside when i pulled a bullet out of curiosity.

Don't know either. When I look at the ballistics they are both the same. I guess it the powder the use?

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Don't know either. When I look at the ballistics they are both the same. I guess it the powder the use?

Where do you check ballistics? Shooters Bible/ Gun Digest? I need to start getting some good reference books....

I'm also desperately hunting for the John M. Browning book about his guns and designs--- if anyone knows where copy can be had, please shoot at me... I mean shout at at me--- to be clear, I mean SHOUT....:o

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Where do you check ballistics? Shooters Bible/ Gun Digest? I need to start getting some good reference books....

I'm also desperately hunting for the John M. Browning book about his guns and designs--- if anyone knows where copy can be had, please shoot at me... I mean shout at at me--- to be clear, I mean SHOUT....:o

At their website. Most of ammo manufacturer have info on their loads. I have gun bible too it does have few load info.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In sporting grade ( ie those not having a true match chamber) just try your specific gun with different ammo, and see what is best and/ or meets desired accuracy level.

Just did a search for my own thread from about a year ago for my numbers. My 795 did 5/8 in at 28 ( not 25) yds , with randomly selected Win bulk pack. And at that the trigger was more or limiting factor than inherent accuracy. I considered that well within the performance expectation of the rifle, and an extensive research project to find a lot of 1/2 in ammo remains on back burner. Your Millage AND expectations may Vary.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Midway has Wolf target on sale until the 28th for $44 for a brick.

I shot rifleman with just Federal bulk and my 795. Somebody gave me 10 rounds of Wolf match to compare. Much tighter group with the Wolf.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Every one has a nose and just as many ways to pick best ammo. First you need a store with a great variety and stock to buy from. Then you go to that store and buy a variety of ammo. Some favorites are wolf mt, or sk+, fed gold medal 711b, wolf me, lapua center x, rws target, rws r50, eley BR gold, eley practice, cci green tag, cci sv. Just pick a big variety. Make sure they have at least a brick of each with the same lot #s. Buy one box of each. Now here is where everyone grows a nose. I clean so I have a baseline that I can repeat. Then shoot 25 fouling shots with the ammo. Then shoot 5- 5 shot groups. Repeat, clean, foul, and shoot for group with each brand. When you find what your rifle likes best, go back to the store and buy at least a brick, BUT make sure you get the same lot #. The lot # is key, it will make all the difference. If it was me I would buy all they have of that lot, but I'm crazy. Make sure you are shooting (gun, ammo, and range) at the approximate temperature you will be competing at. I would also say to duplicate humidity, but that might not be practical. Some ammo/gun accuracy goes away at temperature extremes. Like some have trouble with Wolf mt/sk+ below 40 degrees.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Every one has a nose and just as many ways to pick best ammo. First you need a store with a great variety and stock to buy from. Then you go to that store and buy a variety of ammo. Some favorites are wolf mt, or sk+, fed gold medal 711b, wolf me, lapua center x, rws target, rws r50, eley BR gold, eley practice, cci green tag, cci sv. Just pick a big variety. Make sure they have at least a brick of each with the same lot #s. Buy one box of each. Now here is where everyone grows a nose. I clean so I have a baseline that I can repeat. Then shoot 25 fouling shots with the ammo. Then shoot 5- 5 shot groups. Repeat, clean, foul, and shoot for group with each brand. When you find what your rifle likes best, go back to the store and buy at least a brick, BUT make sure you get the same lot #. The lot # is key, it will make all the difference. If it was me I would buy all they have of that lot, but I'm crazy. Make sure you are shooting (gun, ammo, and range) at the approximate temperature you will be competing at. I would also say to duplicate humidity, but that might not be practical. Some ammo/gun accuracy goes away at temperature extremes. Like some have trouble with Wolf mt/sk+ below 40 degrees.

This sounds like a good plan... All good factors to consider that I wouldn't have thought of.... Thanks everybody!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have a few buddies that swear by CCI standard velocity if you are looking for alternatives.

Good luck.

Chris

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    I would like to find some Wolf Match to try but I haven't found any locally. CCI Standard Velocity is what I use and it is easy to find and it shoots pretty well.

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    I tried five different brands in my Marlin Model 60 before I found one that gives me good results with very few FTLs, and FTEs.

The Fiochhi High Velocity .22lr is a more powerful load, and works the action better. A box of 50 can be had for $3.

I like em so much a bought a thousand from CheaperThanDirt.com.

Continental stocks them if you want to try a box of 50 first.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Rob said was the whole 9 yard answer for the MOST accurate ammo.

M60s and M795s are rifle rifles. I own and recomend them . But let's be realistic about budget priced mass market semiauto sporters. We're not doing BR50 here. Half inch groups, and reliable functioning are probably good enough to call a day.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Try some wolf match target. It works great with 10/22

Absolutely the best ammo my 10/22 likes to eat. Consistent, and very accurate.
    My 10/22 SuperStock has shot 13mm groups at 50 yards on several occasions.
    A close second is CCI Blazer.

Put a few rounds of Wolf MT and Blazer in the palm of your hand and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    wow, that is a lot. I have not bought it locally, but should not be more than $5 or 6 bucks per 50. You can find deals online for under $50 for 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom