• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I inherited this gun from my Grandfather. I would like to use it to go duck hunting instead of my 870 since it is a semi.

The problem is it doesn't have a choke, and it isn't threaded for one. I tried looking up replacement barrels on remingtons website. The only it listed for the 1100 were a 30" steel shot with rem choke, and a 26" with no choke.

It is a 12g magnum 3" chamber. My tape measure broke and I haven't had time to replace it yet so I am not sure on the length but I believe it is currently a 30" barrel.

Is it possible to have a permanently choked barrel? What I mean is the diameter of the barrel reduced to match a certain choke diameter? If not what are my options?

1289927811.JPG

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A gunsmith can install chokes. They type of choke depends on the wall thickness of the barrel in the last 4".

Choke labor for that gun would run about $125-150

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I inherited this gun from my Grandfather. I would like to use it to go duck hunting instead of my 870 since it is a semi.

The problem is it doesn't have a choke, and it isn't threaded for one. I tried looking up replacement barrels on remingtons website. The only it listed for the 1100 were a 30" steel shot with rem choke, and a 26" with no choke.

It is a 12g magnum 3" chamber. My tape measure broke and I haven't had time to replace it yet so I am not sure on the length but I believe it is currently a 30" barrel.

Is it possible to have a permanently choked barrel? What I mean is the diameter of the barrel reduced to match a certain choke diameter? If not what are my options?

1289927811.JPG

I'm betting it has a fixed full choke. I'm thinking it's an old goose barrel from the days of lead shot. They still make decent trap barrels.

Fixed chokes could be opened, but with steel shot being the norm, I'm not sure if it would be safe, even opened to modified choke, if the barrel wasn't designed for steel.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far.

As far as having it smithed the barrel already seems pretty thin to me.

I know there is a Hastings barrel with a set of chokes that I left in the safe. This has huge sentimental value to my Grandmother and she wasn't ready to give it up yet. I will try to talk her into letting me use that. I know my Grandfather would not have wanted his things, especially guns and gear, going unused.

And as far as barrel stampings:
    On the left side near the reciever mod is stamped, but it is by itself. It does not say choke anywhere on the barrel.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    MOD stands for modified choke. Rem choked barrels are availble if you take some time to look for them. Check gunbroker, they are listed there regularly.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    MOD stands for modified choke. Rem choked barrels are availble if you take some time to look for them. Check gunbroker, they are listed there regularly.

I figured thats what it was for, but since it didn't have choke stamped anywhere wasn't really sure.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I don't plan on changing it if it is a modified choke, that is what I wanted to go with.

I don't have much experience with shotguns and thought if there wasn't a removable choke then it was just an open or barrel choke.

How would I find out if it is safe with steel shot?

From their website is says the 30" barrel is for steel shot.

I guess I just need to get out and pattern it. I can do this at continental? What about Hap?

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    It is a modified choke and is not safe for steel shot. It wouldn't be dangerous with steel but steel will eventually bulge the choke if you shoot larger shot, #2, or BB.
    You could buy a Steel shot barrel from Remington, Cabela's has them and it will work on your magnum receiver for 2 3/4 or 3" shells. The Hastings barrel will work too.
    The 1100 is a great gun, the only thing that normally can go wrong is the rubber O rings are a wearing part.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    It is a modified choke and is not safe for steel shot. It wouldn't be dangerous with steel but steel will eventually bulge the choke if you shoot larger shot, #2, or BB.
    You could buy a Steel shot barrel from Remington, Cabela's has them and it will work on your magnum receiver for 2 3/4 or 3" shells. The Hastings barrel will work too.
    The 1100 is a great gun, the only thing that normally can go wrong is the rubber O rings are a wearing part.

Assuming the 1100 truly is:

1.) a Magnum receiver and...
    2.) a fixed MOD (modified) choke 2 3/4 and 3" Barrel

I would use it just the way it is, as you have a great waterfowl gun!

I'll be out in the field with my 1100 tomorrow. The only difference between your gun and mine is I had my 30" fixed FULL choke barrel opened up to MOD by a local gunsmith. Best $25 I've spent in a long time. Patterns great with cheap Winchester #2's.

Ok, so I am confused. It is a magnum reciever and has mod stamped on the barrel. I want to shoot #2 steel shot.

Is it safe to use or not?

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    OK, I would be very reluctant to use steel shot in a fixed full choke gun. For a fixed modified? Hard to say. The problem is the gun was made before anyone even thought about using steel shot.

Best bet: call Remington Customer Service and ask.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Your gun is perfectly safe to shoot #2 Steel shot. In the early days of steel shot, large shot in the then new and lousy shells could possibly bulge a bbl if it was an older gun with soft steel and Full choke . There wasn't then nor is there now any concern using a Modified choke. Remington 1100 Bbls are not soft either.

That said, due to much much better shells manufactured today than 30 years ago, the standard choke of choice shooting over decoys is probably Improved Cyl and Modified for the longer shots. Todays steel shot loads use better wads, are buffered and the shot doesn't rust or fuse together as the early loads did. Enjoy your gun just like it is.

If, for some reason you want different chokes, you can have choke tubes installed in that bbl for about $150, or for about $40 you can have the choke opened to about .15, or AKA Light Modified or Skeet 2. That's about as perfect an all around choke as you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom