• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    At the end of my self imposed trapping season I upset all my traps & flag them for latter removal. I usally wait for a serious freeze like tomorrow. This helps to de-scent the traps.

During my pickup process I ran across 1 - Dead Cayote - 2 shot fox- 2 trapped fox (well rotted) - 4 SNARED Skunk sets (Well rotted) - 5 Deer carcesses - 4 ID-ed Buck carcess- at least 8 processed " buzzard eaten" deer remains. I didn't see any feral cats.

I did find one box of Remington 15 Gr. 30-06 in the Walmart plastic bag with the purchase slip with the buyers hunters license. I kept the ammo, buried the rest.

I've had similier days, just not the same, or. maybe I just didn't pay as much attentiom

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    Action taken

Really need to report that to dnr if you haven't already.

+1. If people are not checking their traps, they shouldn't be trapping.

I kind'a fiqured who the trapper was. Talked to him and that got squared away. He's 87 yrs old. We rode out on the buggy and cleaned up and retrieved his stuff.

I left my traps in until the thaw. I'm very sick with COPD but can do some stuff
    Horrible cold this AM but Carl & I got the traps and rotted critters cared for.

6 degrees

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    Kinda

Was this in Carroll County?

On M&D Line. The trapper is 87. Forgetting to check trap lines or be unable to kinda goes with the age territory. I rather find rotted critters in a trap than a rotted trapper anywhere.
    None of the shot fox and coyatoe were him. Managed to get that sorted out as well. Novice sport shooters I guess who don't know fur value or care, or get bored on the deer stand.

Finally fiqured out the SNARE trappers. The snare sets were done fairly well. The young fellars just didn't/couldn't fiqure out how to get a live skunk outta a snare. Nor the ambition to go through the work for a $6/8,00 hide.

The unclaimed/unfound shot deer? That's happened forever. The disposed old human "processed deer carcesses" along the road in the fields. Who cares?
    Critters eat what humans don't want or a to lazy to use,

Rob

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    Snares are illegal in Carroll unless you are doing nuisance work. Right from regs.

"Snare Traps

It is illegal to use, sell, possess, set, place or maintain a snare trap in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Harford, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties."

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I trapped as a young , poor lad. One time a live muscrat was taking off with my $2 leg trap and I grabbed him by the tail and flung him onshore.
    In the process, he whipped around fast as crap and nailed my thumb. Lucky me.
    But I got him, and my trap back. 1975, Branchburg, New Jersey. Holland Brook.
    We'd sell the skins for $2, riding our bikes to this guy. We do not live in a better country today,
    than the country of my youth...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If a trapper is too old they need a younger person to be a partner in case something happens. That partner can then run sets and fire them off as they go until the old trapper recovers and can go out again. Yes snares are allowed in some counties. I'm pissed I can't use them in Cecil, I found a beaver spot and the muddy banks and the steepness of them plus very deep pond that might be quicksand-ish make it very dangerous to set 330's, but those beaver trails leading down are perfect for snares, which would be way safer to set. grrrr. Going to have landowners help me out and hopefully I can set and tend the 330's without drowning myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom