• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Question about SBR's that you can legally buy in MD...

Suppose I buy a MD legal SBR with a 11.5" upper, go through the hoops, etc etc. Can I then switch on other uppers that are shorter than 11.5" while at the range? Or is that a no no?

Saw a SBR for sale at a gun store in cockeysville and was wondering that exact thing, but no one was available to answer me :sad20:

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    with the caveat that if you possessed before 10-1-13, it's legal correct?

"Purchased" fall into the "possessed" category for 10/1/13?

Also what if it was purchased before 10/1/13 but stamp was approved post 10/1/13?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We need to start putting together a Title II firearm FAQ for MD and leave it as a sticky. These same questions over and over are getting a little tiresome. Not offense to the OP, or anyone else for that matter.

And I keep saying, ''that's a great idea!''

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am now confused. I was under the impression that in Maryland if you made a lower into an SBR after 10/1/2013, then you could not put an upper on it that would make it shorter than 29 inches. From what is stated above, I can put a short upper on any SBR lower as long as I keep the original upper that returns it to >29 inches regardless of when the SBR was submitted/made.

Am I understanding this correctly?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am now confused. I was under the impression that in Maryland if you made a lower into an SBR after 10/1/2013, then you could not put an upper on it that would make it shorter than 29 inches. From what is stated above, I can put a short upper on any SBR lower as long as I keep the original upper that returns it to >29 inches regardless of when the SBR was submitted/made.

What I put in bold print is what they are saying. No SBRs under 29'' after 10/1/13

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Correct. No under 29" OAL possession within MD.

See Nate's above post. within MD. If you fill out the proper paperwork to transport your SBR to NFA item friendly state, you can throw a shorter upper onto it. But when you come back into MD, make sure its back to 29+

"Purchased" fall into the "possessed" category for 10/1/13?

Also what if it was purchased before 10/1/13 but stamp was approved post 10/1/13?

This is what im dealing with. Stamp submitted 9/30/13 and approved in january for something under 29". Not sure what to do...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing, there WERE sub 29" SBRs that were tax stamped post 10/1/13. Before everyone got on the same page.

So, IMO, IF your Form 1 or Form 4 lists a firearm that is shorter than 29", then you can have any length. BUT, if your Form 1 or Form 4 only lists an over 29" configuration, you cannot possess the SBR in sub 29" configuration in Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom