• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I am just curious what the dual aperuture is for? Is it just a choice for preference, or is it for sighting in at different distances? I have no idea and any help is much appreciated.

If it helps this is the sight that comes with a stag arms upper.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks, my google fu was un-remarkable. Do both of them get sighted in the same?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Why yes. Usually you set the rear sight elevation on the distance you are shooting and adjust front sight height to match.(windage is still adjusted at rear) Once this is done as long as the ammo approximates the intended round you should be able to dial in your sights to whichever distance desired.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I meant both as in both aperutures on the rear. I know what to do with the front sight.:innocent0

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Why yes. Usually you set the rear sight elevation on the distance you are shooting and adjust front sight height to match.(windage is still adjusted at rear) Once this is done as long as the ammo approximates the intended round you should be able to dial in your sights to whichever distance desired.

This information is incorrect unless you are using the rifle for Highpower-type competition and even then it depends on how you zero the rifle. For general purpose use- when zeroing the weapon you use the small apeture. You set the sights to BZO- front sight base (round portion with the detent cuts) level with the top of the well that the post sits in. The rear sight is perfectly centered (align the tick marks on the back of the sight housing). You then zero making elevation adjustments with the front sight post and windage adjustments with the rear sight. There are different types of zeros (i.e. 25/300 standard military zero or the 50/200 zero) which I won't get into, but the answer to the question is that you zero with the small apeture. Once zeroed, you can flip to the large apeture which is faster for combat type shooting or keep it set to the small apeture if you are shooting for precision or distance. For general purpose shooting, do not fool with the rear elevation unless you have been trained on it. All you will end up doing is fouling up your zero.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    This sight doesn't have a elevation for the rear. I guess that will make it easier for me. Hopefully I will be able to get some kind of optic in the near future.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Here is a link to the manual and a couple excerpts:
    http://www.armsmounts.com/manuals/40L%20OP%20Manual.pdf

40L_1.jpg
    40L_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads