• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baxter

Feb 11, 2019
    Aquasco, MD
    Went out this past Saturday and found a few nice ones to kick off shed season.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It shed it's whole skull. I wonder how long that takes to grow back.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Do you use a dog to shed hunt? I never knew that was a thing until we got our lab. Mine will probably only be a duck dog, unless you can do both. I haven’t looked that much into it.

Baxter

Feb 11, 2019
    Aquasco, MD
    No I don’t use a dog but yeah that is a thing. I enjoy the searching for them myself. I do it every year with my father, last year we got I believe 55/60. This year shooting for just 40 or so.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    No I don’t use a dog but yeah that is a thing. I enjoy the searching for them myself. I do it every year with my father, last year we got I believe 55/60. This year shooting for just 40 or so.

What type of acreage are you walking to find that many threads. Maybe I just never really paid attention while walking through the woods. Lol

Baxter

Feb 11, 2019
    Aquasco, MD
    There’s a few pieces of property that we walk, local parks and such. I think Saturday I covered about 6 miles.

The type of area that you walk is key, just wondering around the woods can lead to lots of walking with very little chance to find antlers. Try to find bedding areas, closely rooted pines also seem to be an area where I tend to find lots of antlers, the edge of fields as well.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    There’s a few pieces of property that we walk, local parks and such. I think Saturday I covered about 6 miles.

The type of area that you walk is key, just wondering around the woods can lead to lots of walking with very little chance to find antlers. Try to find bedding areas, closely rooted pines also seem to be an area where I tend to find lots of antlers, the edge of fields as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a city boy my whole life and I had no idea that this was a thing until this thread. I'm in the county now and we have a ton of deer in our woods. I'm going to take a wander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom