• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    i will be picking up a taurus 94 in4 more days, I plan to pull it apart clean it well, it needs it do a little polishing and mabe play with the springs. it feels really nice and solid so we shall see. just couldn't bring myself to pay at least twice as much for a plinker.

Please post your opinion/experience with it. I want one, but my Taurus ownership has been sketchy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    damn dyslexia...

Actually I've won a Glock and a Remington 870...

OK officer... was Mr Jones actually going 46 is a 45 zone or was he going 64 like you claim on the ticket you wrote him?? We have an internet post by you claiming you have dyslexia. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    OK officer... was Mr Jones actually going 46 is a 45 zone or was he going 64 like you claim on the ticket you wrote him?? We have an internet post by you claiming you have dyslexia. :D

I'm the training and back-up admin Sergeant. If I'm writing your traffic ticket, you REALLY screwed up. :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Can't go wrong with a K-22 (Model 17) Smith. Great guns. 6" barrel gives good sight radius and handling. The K frame keeps recoil virtually nonexistant.

I have a J-frame 4" barreled 22LR revolver. The K-frame is still nicer for all things except for ease of carry. I actually bought this one years back to practice DA shooting in an inexpensive caliber. Also because it had just enough more recoil to make me work at good shooting form.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    The S&W 617 is the only non-Ruger revolver I won. Those are Hogue aftermarket grips on it. That's 1 6" barrel, cropping the photo made it look like a 4"

I'm feeling some mild to moderate lust toward that gun, Joppaj---- :D How much did those grips cost you??

I'll take the gun off your hands for you for a couple hundred just as it is....:innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm feeling some mild to moderate lust toward that gun, Joppaj---- :D How much did those grips cost you??

I'll take the gun off your hands for you for a couple hundred just as it is....:innocent0

I think I got the grips for about $70. Took some shopping around to find them at that price, but I found them.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Not liking this review, definitely will check the fit before I pick one up ... but I do like it...

[YT]4pTbwI9YSPU[/YT]

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Not liking this review, definitely will check the fit before I pick one up ... but I do like it...

[YT]4pTbwI9YSPU[/YT]

Looks like Ruger is attempting to sort it out with him by sending a new gun:

[YT]QoZjUWfWyuo[/YT]

Not sure how it turns out, as I'm in the middle of watching the followup now. Judging by summary, bad Ruger for shipping messed up gun. Kudos for replacing it. Bad, bad for being cheap and trying to avoid paying for shipping.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looks like Ruger is attempting to sort it out with him by sending a new gun:

Not sure how it turns out, as I'm in the middle of watching the followup now. Judging by summary, bad Ruger for shipping messed up gun. Kudos for replacing it. Bad, bad for being cheap and trying to avoid paying for shipping.

The original SP101 in the first video is decent compared to a brand new Ruger Single Ten that I checked out at a local shop late last week. With the hammer locked back (and applying some pressure to the trigger), the Single Ten cylinder was loose like in the video. Far worse was that the cylinder wasn't lined up straight with the frame or barrel. The rear of the cylinder was riding low. The upper rear of the cylinder was rubbing against the upper rear wall of the frame cavity. The lower rear of the cylinder was nearly rubbing the rear floor of the frame cavity. It looked downright dangerous, like a fired round would strike the upper rear of the barrel bore.

I was going to order the new .357 SP101 with 4" barrel. Now I think I'll wait. Something is not right with Ruger manufacturing.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    He's doing it wrong - the cylinder lock-up should be checked with the hammer down and trigger back, that is, full lock-up, as it would be after firing and before the trigger is released and reset. The cylinder "wiggle" he talks about isn't a problem as long as the chamber lines up with the barrel at the moment it discharges.

That being said, he's right about the lead shaving, but the problem isn't as bad as he's trying to make it out to be. That gun shows acceptable accuracy for those conditions.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    He's doing it wrong - the cylinder lock-up should be checked with the hammer down and trigger back, that is, full lock-up, as it would be after firing and before the trigger is released and reset.

Is that universal for all wheelguns, or are there enough design variations that the test shown in the video is sometimes valid? Also, aren't there concerns that the play is inconsistent from position to position? I'm wondering if the point at which the barrel pivots (sorry, don't know technical term) has been formed slightly off center, given that it seemed tightest 180degrees from the loosest point.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I havent seen a H&R sportsman in that price range since I missed one on here from a member. Last 80% gun I saw was priced at about $350. If you see one in the $250 range let me know, this is on my want list and has been for a while.

I went to A&D in glen burnie they had one for $200. 00 I pick it up in a week

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Also, aren't there concerns that the play is inconsistent from position to position? I'm wondering if the point at which the barrel pivots (sorry, don't know technical term) has been formed slightly off center, given that it seemed tightest 180degrees from the loosest point.

Yes, very serious concerns. Judging by the video, there are several possibilities:
    1) The cylinder bore for the crane is not down the center of the cylinder.
    2) The crane is bent.
    3) The cylinder is badly out of round.
    If it came from the factory that way, then it's inexcusable. In fairness to Ruger, we have no way of knowing if it came from the factory that way. Somebody further down the line who had possession prior to the video could be responsible for the damage.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've noticed this and it is typical for revolvers to exhibit some slight, gradual difference in lockup except in tuned specimens. It shouldn't be great. This is from runout when the cylinder is being machined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom