• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but not MDS... I'm slowly getting back into reloading and wanted an opinion on case trimmers. I sold off most of my rifle case prep tools years ago and I've just been reloading pistol calibers on a Dillon 550B. I used to reload .223 for an AR on the Dillon (without huge success) and .308 for a bolt rifle (on a dedicated RCBS Rockchucker). The first tool I'm going to need moving forward is a decent (to nice) case trimmer tool. I've been looking at this one:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/case-trimmer-w-micrometer-prod38061.aspx

thoughts? Thanks in advance...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    RCBS manual crank model.

Comes with a lot of different sized neck bushings.

I mounted mine to a block of wood and the block of wood gets clamped in a bench vise.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Depending on the number of cases you're going to be doing, I'd recommend the wft2 (worlds finest trimmer). I've used it a bit and if I'm loading a large quantity it is quick and works great. Plus with the second version you can switch the neck bushing for different calibers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Depending on the number of cases you're going to be doing, I'd recommend the wft2 (worlds finest trimmer). I've used it a bit and if I'm loading a large quantity it is quick and works great. Plus with the second version you can switch the neck bushing for different calibers.

This ^^^^^^

Works well.

Just have to resize before trimming, as it indexes off the shoulder.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I have the one in the OP and a Dillion and a Gracey. I like to keep my options open...LOL

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rt1500-electric-case-trimmer_8_8_26196.html

http://www.matchprep.com/trimmer.htm

Also the Gracey has calibers not available from Dillion. The Dillion is a sizing die also, which sometimes sizes the neck too much for Matches. It's fine for Prairie Dog shooting IMO. Trying to do 2,000-3,000 cases for a week of Prairie Dog shooting and you will have carpal tunnel syndrome in no time. It is fine for 50 rounds of deer hunting ammunition.

Good luck

Jerry

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    For only a few dollars more than the trimmer you're looking at you can get the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Prep and Trim System at Cabela's.
    Been using it for a couple of months now and it will trim, debur and chamfer your cases very quickly. Need to follow the directions to the letter when first setting up the trimmer head but runs like a champ after that.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...s-case-prep-trim-station/1793986.uts?slotId=1

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Giraud trimmer. I have a gracey with the Giraud upgrades. You're going to end up with one eventually if you reload a decent amount. I went thru a Lee zip trim, rcbs trimmer, little crow wft and eventually bought the gracey. Just skip all the BS steps and buy the giruad the first time.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Giraud trimmer. I have a gracey with the Giraud upgrades. You're going to end up with one eventually if you reload a decent amount. I went thru a Lee zip trim, rcbs trimmer, little crow wft and eventually bought the gracey. Just skip all the BS steps and buy the giruad the first time.

Girraurd trimmers are awesome but can get expensive depending on how many calibers your loading for and the amount of brass your cranking through.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hell, I'm still using a manual crank Lyman trimmer. Have a few of them, each one is set-up for a diff't cartridge so I don't have to re-adjust the length of trim.

I'm cheap, and in no rush. :)

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    +1 for the Giraud! When I shot rifle a lot I used to dread trimming because of the time involved with a manual trimmer. Bought a Giraud about 9 years ago and absolutely love it. The Giraud is exponentially faster because you don't have to put the case in a shell holder and because it trims/chamfers/deburrs all in one fast process.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    wow! Thanks everyone! There are a few suggestions here that I've never heard of. The Gracey always seemed a bit pricey to me for doing a single task. I guess I just don't need that sort of throughput and can't really justify it. I suffered through a Forester the last time I reloaded rifle calibers. It was painstakingly slow and I never really found a rhythm. The units that are compatible with a drill or a Dremel tool look good. Are these really any more efficient than a hand crank? I also like the idea of the micrometer on the Redding. My bolt gun (.308) is a single-shot set up for prone matches. It responded well to the Federal load using 168-gr Sierra HPBTM bullets, and that's the load I was trying to replicate with a bit of success. My foray into .223 was not so successful. My base load for comparison was 55 gr PMC... I could shoot this into 1.5 MOA all day through a Colt Sporter Match HBAR. The wheels fell off the bus when I tried to go to 69 gr Sierra bullets... I can't recall the powder... anyway, case prep might have been part of my problem...

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.

I bought and use a little crow trimmer from Brownells in 5.56, 7.62x51 and 300BO. It takes about half a second to trim a case. I chuck it in my drill press..I did 1200 cases in about 90 minutes the other night..they aren't cheap but they cut down your prep time significantly..

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a Lyman lathe type that I can hook my drill on. Works great but tedious for high volume. I bought a giraud
    Tri way for 223. Saves hours not having to chamber and deburr afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom