• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wonder how a police officer will act if they should encounter a person with a home made pistol be with no s/n for them to run.

Will they try and arrest you for having a gun with altered s/n for something like that.

I know most police officers don't know the law all that well. I had one tell me I can't hunt with a handgun and he would arrest me if he saw me carrying one in the woods. I had to show him the hunting regulations. He learned something new that day.

Might as well ask the same question with regards to a pre 1968 firearm, since serial numbers were not required until 1968, and there are a hell of a lot more pre 1968, unseiralized, firearms than there are home built firearms.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Very good to know, thank you!

I know you addressed this below, however I still have to wonder how a situation like being pulled over on the way to the range would go down. I could be wrong but I would imagine not many Officers have encountered homemade handguns of the quality that are out there right now (and dont know/believe it is legal). They look identical to one purchased in a store. I cant see a stop where they find a glock 19 with no serial number and a driver claiming he manufactured it himself going very smoothly. Hopefully I am wrong or just never find out.

Why would an officer be interested in any firearms in a vehicle during a traffic stop?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    He needn’t do a thing other than not be prohibited from owning firearms. No HQL, no registration, no fees, no anything.

Relax and enjoy.

So many here give answers that always have me spending money.. :D

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I drive a f150 supercrew with a cap and a jeep Wrangler.
    Both of these vehicles are open and easy to see into. All my window are tinted but still can be seen trough if looked hard enough.

If the officer sees a gun case and or ammo boxes he/she could say it gives them probable cause to search the vehicle.

The police force has changed a lot and not for the better. But that is a discussion for another time.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    So many here give answers that always have me spending money.. :D

The sad thing is by the time you finish building one you could have just about bought a new one or bought a used one a little cheeper then spent on the build.

Glock parts are becoming very. Expensive and harder to find.

A few months ago the slide part kit ran about $60 and somewhat easy to get.

Now the same parts kit run over $117 and sold out just about every here I looked.

A used complete Glock 17 slide runs about $400.
    Most of the time they are higher. I have seen stripped slides costing more then $700.!

Prices are getting crazy so if you want to build one. On a budget you need to act now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The sad thing is by the time you finish building one you could have just about bought a new one or bought a used one a little cheeper then spent on the build.

Glock parts are becoming very. Expensive and harder to find.

A few months ago the slide part kit ran about $60 and somewhat easy to get.

Now the same parts kit run over $117 and sold out just about every here I looked.

A used complete Glock 17 slide runs about $400.
    Most of the time they are higher. I have seen stripped slides costing more then $700.!

Prices are getting crazy so if you want to build one. On a budget you need to act now.

I like the act of building. I find it relaxing. Especially the 1911's.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I would love to build a 1911 and a real ar-15 lower

But I don't have the tools, shop or skills to machine steel and aluminum that precise

The poly80 looks to be easy enough with basic hand tools and some basic gun Smith skills.

I am not so sure how the poly80 ar15 lower will hold up after several years of use. I have seen plastic. Lowers crack along the buffer tube well.

Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston

But I don't have the tools, shop or skills to machine steel and aluminum that precise

The poly80 looks to be easy enough with basic hand tools and some basic gun Smith skills.

I am not so sure how the poly80 ar15 lower will hold up after several years of use. I have seen plastic. Lowers crack along the buffer tube well.

Check out the 5Dtactical jig. All you need is a DeWalt router and a hand drill and you are set.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Check out the Matrix Precision 1911 jigs. No real skills needed. Will cut the rails. You make the slide fit by stoning the rails.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I don't have the tools for that.

From my understanding of how the law is written now I can't go to your house and use your tools while you watch.
    They cought on to the build party's

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I just got the easy jig from 80%lowers and now y’all have me wanting a Glock and 1911 jig and lowers!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

From my understanding of how the law is written now I can't go to your house and use your tools while you watch.

I believe you can use my tools if you are not paying me. The ATF ruling was about businesses. I don't see anything there that applied to individuals. You do have the tools, or you can buy them very cheaply.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I believe you can use my tools if you are not paying me. The ATF ruling was about businesses. I don't see anything there that applied to individuals. You do have the tools, or you can buy them very cheaply.

This is correct. Two buddies hanging out in the garage is not the same as renting time on a shop's CNC mill.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I drive a f150 supercrew with a cap and a jeep Wrangler.
    Both of these vehicles are open and easy to see into. All my window are tinted but still can be seen trough if looked hard enough.

If the officer sees a gun case and or ammo boxes he/she could say it gives them probable cause to search the vehicle.

The police force has changed a lot and not for the better. But that is a discussion for another time.

Having a firearms case or an ammo case IS NOT enough for probable cause, they need to have a sense that you are doing something ILLEGAL.

The BGOS is still strong in this state.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

You can go to his house, you can use his tools, he can even instruct you on how to use the tools. You can't pay him and if you are using a CNC machine, yo have to provide your own code, you can't just use his and load your blank and push a button.

And that is NOT how a build party works, a build party is everyone bringing their particular projects, the tools and jigs they happen to have and everyone helps everyone make progress with their respective progress. The ATF determination still does NOT prevent that.

poopDOLLA

Jun 16, 2017
    Why would an officer be interested in any firearms in a vehicle during a traffic stop?

It likely wouldnt. However most times I have been pulled over I am asked "Any guns drugs rocket launchers ect ect ect in the car i need to know about"

How am I supposed to answer that? If i say yes there is a handgun you bet they are going to want to see it. If I refuse most officers arent going to just leave it at that.

Do I respond "there is nothing illegal in the car" to the question "Any firearms/drugs in the car i need to know about? I feel like that answer is basically saying yes I have a firearm but it is legal. Because it is clear that you avoided the actual question.

Idk maybe my experiences with police are not the normal. I havent been stopped since I was younger but whenever I was it was often a problem. I have had my car searched before because i guess i "looked like someone who would do drugs" and they brought a dog out that did a BS hit and they found nothing. My experience is if they want to search your car, they will do it. Period.

I guess my experiences with stops have not been very good so I am inclined to be prepared how to handle any situation.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    However most times I have been pulled over I am asked "Any guns drugs rocket launchers ect ect ect in the car i need to know about"

Do I respond "there is nothing illegal in the car" to the question "Any firearms/drugs in the car i need to know about?

"That I need to know about". Simple, honest answer: "No, officer". It's never in your interest to answer questions that haven't been asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom