Archery and muzzleloader hunting at the same time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I'm curious of what others think or if someone can find a law that says you can't. My thoughts are to archery hunt in this antlerless week of muzzleloader, but also carry a muzzleloader for the hike in and out of the woods or if I see some does further out that my bow cant reach.

Page 21 of the hunting and trapping guide under the archery section states:

Firearms or airguns may not be carried
    while hunting deer during the Archery
    Season with the following exception. In
    Deer Management Region A, persons 21
    years old or older may carry a handgun
    for personal protection against bear while
    hunting deer during the Archery Season.
    The handgun:
    - may not be used for hunting any game
    species while the person is archery
    hunting for deer;
    - may not have a barrel length of more
    than six inches;
    - may not have a telescopic sight or
    electronic aiming device attached; and
    - may not be used to kill wildlife wounded
    by a vertical bow or crossbow.

It states "firearms" but this is a muzzleloader. Similar to how silncerco has the maxim 50 to skirt the laws and definition of "firearm". Is there anything preventing you from carrying two devices for hunting the same animal assuming you have all the proper stamps, and only use the device allowed for the appropriate sex?

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Call the DNR Communication center
    877-620-8DNR

Yeah, the DNR will give you the most accurate answer.

But, for the sake of argument, I would say what 67temp proposed should be OK.
    My understanding is that archery is OK to use during all deer hunting season, provided that you observe other requirements, such as fluorescent orange.
    I'm just curious about your argument about the part of muzzleloader reaching beyond bow. Wouldn't that apply also when you're on the treestand? Perhaps this is a rookie question.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It used to be way back when, the only time you could carry two weapons for deer hunting was muzzleloader season. You could carry a bow and muzzleloader.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It also applies to the game being hunted.

You can shoot antlerless only with a muzzle loader.

If a buck shows up, you can only shoot it with a bow.

I wonder if there are any wise-guys that would attach a broad head to a "ramrod"?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It also applies to the game being hunted.

You can shoot antlerless only with a muzzle loader.

If a buck shows up, you can only shoot it with a bow.

I wonder if there are any wise-guys that would attach a broad head to a "ramrod"?

There are plenty of wise guys killing bucks with MLs this week and checking them in as bow kills. :cool:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Yeah, the DNR will give you the most accurate answer.

But, for the sake of argument, I would say what 67temp proposed should be OK.
    My understanding is that archery is OK to use during all deer hunting season, provided that you observe other requirements, such as fluorescent orange.
    I'm just curious about your argument about the part of muzzleloader reaching beyond bow. Wouldn't that apply also when you're on the treestand? Perhaps this is a rookie question.

Max effective range with a bow is going to be 30-40 yards (I won't shoot past 20 personally). A good modern ML will reach out to 100+ yards easily.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    My Uncle called DNR about this yesterday. They told him he could hunt with bow during muzzy season but you can not carry a firearm/muzzleloader and a bow during MZ or firearm season. The only time you can carry a firearm during archery is if you are hunting some of the western counties for bear protection.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    (One) could hunt with bow during muzzy season but you can not carry a firearm/muzzleloader AND a bow during MZ or firearm season.

Interesting.
    I wouldn't have been able to arrive at this conclusion by simply reading the Hunting Guide.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My Uncle called DNR about this yesterday. They told him he could hunt with bow during muzzy season but you can not carry a firearm/muzzleloader and a bow during MZ or firearm season. The only time you can carry a firearm during archery is if you are hunting some of the western counties for bear protection.

Then they must have changed it. I wonder if it only applies to early ML season.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    In region B it is doe only with muzzleloader until Sunday. I know many guys that carry ML and Xbow both in the blind to be able to take buck or doe.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Deer can carry a bow and a muzzleloader? I'm staying home.

You didn't know?

Yes, deer have started counter hunting operations.

They are trying to take out travelling hunters by using extremists on suicide missions. Deer have read the Maryland laws and discovered that hunters are most vulnerable when travelling.

cww

Jan 28, 2010

this ^ ,no archery and gun at same time except for the bear protection exemption. yes applies to all ML and modern firearms seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom