• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    How many here use some sort of Doe Estrus product? If so, what do you use and when do you start putting it out? Got into a debate at the office with a buddy about when to put it out. He's talking about putting some out this weekend because he hasn't see anything for weeks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Used it for years. It almost had no noticeable effect with two exceptions. Both resulted in dead bucks for me, but I always felt it scared wiser, older bucks. I never use it (except on decoys) and feel I've done better without it.

As for your friend, this Saturday makes one week before the full moon. Early does will be coming into heat as early as next week. He's not far off, though I don't necessarily agree with his reasoning.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I told him to wait til mid-late next week and then start dropping some out if he's going to use it. I tried some last year and I had two smaller bucks show up on camera but that was about it.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I consider this to still be pre-rut, but it's getting close. I use Buck urine as mock scrapes to challenge dominant bucks at this point. Will start rattling as well. If I hunt this weekend I will use some estrus on scent wicks. I use Tinks#69 Doe in Rut and Code Red Buck Urine.

When the bucks go full retard they will wonder. You need to start trying to entice them now to stay on your property instead of roaming to the neighbors property for the girls.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I consider this to still be pre-rut, but it's getting close. I use Buck urine as mock scrapes to challenge dominant bucks at this point. Will start rattling as well. If I hunt this weekend I will use some estrus on scent wicks. I use Tinks#69 Doe in Rut and Code Red Buck Urine.

When the bucks go full retard they will wonder. You need to start trying to entice them now to stay on your property instead of roaming to the neighbors property for the girls.

Yeah he got into the hunting game late this season (his first real season hunting) so he's trying to do anything he can to attract a buck. He did get a doe last weekend with a muzzleloader he borrowed. He hasn't shown us pictures so we keep saying we don't believe it happened haha.

I'm fortunate that I put out food nearly year round so they literally come in each and every day. The bucks will follow the does but now I just need to get them to do it during daylight :D

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    No doubt, seeing them during the day now is the big thing. They tend to go nocturnal toward end of October. It's great seeing that hammer everyday............................but it being between midnight and 4am on your trail cam is what sucks.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've got 2 good ones coming in around 8:30 each night. I'll be out this weekend hoping they slip up a bit.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I don't use any scent stuff because 1) no matter what I get some of that nasty crap on my hands or clothes and then have to smell it the whole hunt and 2) I think the deer are wise to it and it spooks some of them. Deer are predictable once you know their pattern, so the best thing is to scout well and set up on their known travel corridors. And most importantly, minimize your own scent by playing the wind, keeping your hunting clothes scent free and for hunting only and showering with de-scenting soap right before you hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom