• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    DVOR has the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm at $315. Optics Planet seems to have the same scope at $399. I would like to get an upper middle tier scope (lower upper tier scope?) in the 3X9 zoom power range. Maybe I should budget more and/or wait for a better deal.

How would you guys the VX-3i?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've owned two Leupold scopes.

One of them was a 500-600 dollar scope. Worst damn glass I've ever looked through. Grainy is the best way to describe it. Happened at all distances.

Went with Nikon for all of my middle to higher end scope needs. Never looked back.

Just a little food for thought to help you with your decision.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I own several Leupolds and several Nikons. I would give the edge to the Leupolds, no question. One thing I usually look for in a scope, depending on the application, is adjustable objective. That would be a dealmaker/breaker for me in most cases. I would also look at Vortex.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a number of examples of the Vari-x iii, Vx-3 and Vx-3i.....3 "generations" worth. Been very happy with all of them. If you can buy the 3.5x10x40 Vx-3i at $315, that's indeed a very good price. Seems that Leupold is in the process of new releases across many of their scope series offerings. You normally don't see the discounting on Leupold unless they're close to coming out with new product, which historically makes for a great time to buy.

Speaking of discounting, and assuming given your Vx-3i mention that you're interested in variable power hunting scopes here? My biggest and most pleasant surprise in recent years has been (and this is from a buy once and cry once and don't look back Leupold guy), Weaver's Grand Slam series. These scopes are Japanese glass, manufactured by Light Optics Works. They make a 2x8x36, a 3x12x42, a 4x16x44 and a 5x20x50 in the Grand Slam series. All are 1 inch tubes. All but the 2x8 are side focus for parallax adjustment. Natchez has some seriously good prices on a number of these scopes. All are new product, with prices running between $199 and $360, depending on reticle and magnification. Nobody is selling these at prices even close to Natchez. I took a chance on one and I have to say I was absolutely shocked by it. I was impressed to the point where I now have a couple of these tucked away on the shelf awaiting hosts.

Anyway, thought I'd mention. Good Luck!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I've owned two Leupold scopes.

One of them was a 500-600 dollar scope. Worst damn glass I've ever looked through. Grainy is the best way to describe it. Happened at all distances.

Went with Nikon for all of my middle to higher end scope needs. Never looked back.

Just a little food for thought to help you with your decision.

Hmm - ok. I have three Nikons and like them - I just thought Leupold was supposed to be a cut above. Maybe not.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks for mentioning Natchez. One year I got a Nikon Monarch 4-16 when the newer Monarchs came out and it was a steal of a deal from Natchez.

Forgot to mention that Weaver is also running a $30 rebate until the end of the year. Puts their Grand Slam 3x12x42 at $220 from Natchez after rebate. All day long, for MY money!

Had these not been priced to the point they currently are out of Natchez, I'd have never tried the Grand Slam. Weaver hasn't been a top of mind popular name in scopes in 40 years and longer, when it was Weaver and Redfield as commonplace, and I honestly think there's good reason for that. Much like Bushnell, some of their lower end later years product set the quality perception bar lower nowadays. But much like the Weaver Grand Slams, one of the big surprises a few years back now IMO was Bushnell's Elite Series. The common denominator here with both lines is the factory, as I'm almost certain that the Bushnell Elites were coming out of LOW in Japan also. Two names, neither nowadays typically equated with quality, and both names nowadays having conjured typically thoughts of lower end product. Both IMO are typically overlooked, and sales and now price likely reflect that, as its tough to run product up against the industry heavy hitters of today. But I'll tell ya, both the Bushnell Elite of a few years back now, and the Weaver Grand Slam currently, really surprised me. In the quest for decent optics at very good price points, both I believe were and are outstanding values. LIght Optics Works in Japan, I personally believe, is doing a lot of things right with rifle scopes where they are clearly attempting to run with the Leupy Vx-3i's and similar quality and much better known and heavily marketed scopes.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Forgot to mention that Weaver is also running a $30 rebate until the end of the year. Puts their Grand Slam 3x12x42 at $220 from Natchez after rebate. All day long, for MY money!

Great tip.

I think I saw a thread at Rimfire Central about the same Weaver scopes at Natchez.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Great info here. Also interesting are the mixed reviews on Leupold. Come to think of it; of the guys I know that hunt at the office there is one never Leupold response there as well.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I used to think that the sun rose & set with Leupolds. That is until I bought a couple of Zeiss Victory scopes. To be clear, the Zeiss scopes are in the $2000.00 price range whereas the Leupolds are in the $5-600 Price range. This is not a discussion of value, i.e. is it twice as good for twice the price, but in my opinion Zeiss is worth it. Leupold makes a good working scope. I use it for my everyday deer hunting rifle for 200 yd. shots.

Last edited:

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    CDS?

DVOR has the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm at $315. Optics Planet seems to have the same scope at $399. I would like to get an upper middle tier scope (lower upper tier scope?) in the 3X9 zoom power range. Maybe I should budget more and/or wait for a better deal.

How would you guys the VX-3i?

That’s a good price, IF it has the CDS included. Otherwise, if you want to get CDS on it, it will cost you @$170 more. I would opt for the higher priced one, assuming it has CDS.

I bought the cheaper one, thinking I got a deal. Nope. Made a mistake.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That’s a good price, IF it has the CDS included. Otherwise, if you want to get CDS on it, it will cost you @$170 more. I would opt for the higher priced one, assuming it has CDS.

I bought the cheaper one, thinking I got a deal. Nope. Made a mistake.

Thanks for that tip. I did not end up buying just yet - so this is useful info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom