• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Why do you need a scope to shoot 500 yard targets? I qualified with an M-16 and hit 10 for 10 @ 500 yards with iron sights.....all center mass...which is about 12" X 12" on a 20" X 40" sillouette, at 18 years old....it's all in the training you receive. Sure scopes are nice...but if you drop the rifle or the batteries die...you SOL......get the basics down first.

Well, I can't speak for the OP but as I've gotten older my ability to shoot well with irons has diminished. I'm starting to look seriously at scopes even though I view them as a crutch.

I totally agree with you, basics first--a scope won't magically compensate for any of the other mistakes a marksman might make, including drop or windage calculations. But at a certain point in life we all might need a crutch.

Why do you need a scope to shoot 500 yard targets? I qualified with an M-16 and hit 10 for 10 @ 500 yards with iron sights.....all center mass...which is about 12" X 12" on a 20" X 40" sillouette, at 18 years old....it's all in the training you receive. Sure scopes are nice...but if you drop the rifle or the batteries die...you SOL......get the basics down first.

As my avatar states, I'm a Kragaphile. I know how to shoot iron sights and can do 6" groups @ 200yds with a 120yo rifle. 18yo eyes have been gone for almost 30 years, thus my quest for a long range capable firearm with optics to match.
    I don't hunt. I'm simply seeking a new hobby by venturing into distance shooting.
    My only formal training was in my (PA) Act235 course run by The PA State Police. They called it "Combat Pistol" (not PPC) and the premise was to hit center mass very quickly, because your target is shooting back- 8,9,10,X are all considered a hit. I still shoot pistols this way, much to the dismay of those around me.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I'm on the list of people waiting for the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor to come back in stock at the discounted price + rebate. The goal is to be able to hit a 12" plate at 500yds, although most shooting will be at 200yds.
    These are a few of the scopes I have been eyeing:
    Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 ($189)
    Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 ($190)
    Vortex Diamondback hp 4-12x40 ($200)
    Primary Arms 4-16X44 Illuminated Mil Dot Scope ($160)

Anyone have first hand knowledge and/or recommendations on a decent cope for $200-$300 range?

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/...ope-16nknubckmstrs412opt/16nknubckmstrs412opt

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm on the list of people waiting for the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor to come back in stock at the discounted price + rebate. The goal is to be able to hit a 12" plate at 500yds, although most shooting will be at 200yds.

Anyone have first hand knowledge and/or recommendations on a decent cope for $200-$300 range?

I would suggest trying to find a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. They list for $429 but can be found on sale at MidwayUSA for $100 off. I think right now the Mil-Dot reticle version is on sale for $329. Big difference between it and the scopes you list is extra-low dispersion glass. That makes the scope sharp at the high power end. Without some kind of ED glass scopes will start getting fuzzier past about 2/3 of their variable power because normal glass is not capable of keeping all the primary colors in focus at the higher end. I have one on my 6.8mm SPC II AR I built for DMR and hunting. I found I can pretty much just leave it at 20x unless I need a wide field for scanning a field and then I will drop it down to a lower power. Its not that any of those scopes are bad. Just don't look thru a better scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

AFAIK, the Primary Arms is the same as the Mueller which is the same at the Midway BSA Tactical.

I have the last one on my .22 trainer. I have been happy with it for the price. No, it is not a Viper PST, but it costs about 1/4 as much.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AFAIK, the Primary Arms is the same as the Mueller which is the same at the Midway BSA Tactical.

I have the last one on my .22 trainer. I have been happy with it for the price. No, it is not a Viper PST, but it costs about 1/4 as much.

The Midway BSA model is using the older scope body (non-illuminated), the current Primary Arms/Falcon Menace models have also added illumination to the list of features.

I just loaned out my last BSA model to a co-worker to try out on his short/medium range rifle.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Others have pointed towards a fixed power vs a variable power. General rule of thumb in life...you get what you pay for...and that is absolutely the case with optics. You can have two out of three...but not all three:

1) Inexpensive
    2) Fancy options like variable power or front focal plane
    3) Great glass

Scopes that are inexpensive but have illuminated reticles, variable power, side adjustable parallax, etc... mean that they are cutting corners in some other area of the scope. Usually the quality of the glass. That and repeat-ability of the turrets and ability to return to zero, and general construction.

That's not necessarily bad...but you should know going in that a scope like that is really just limited to easy range use at fixed shorter range distances. If that's what you do...shoot at a covered range 300 yds and in every once in a while...it'll perform fine...probably.

The SWFA fixed scopes, especially the HD versions (a bit more than you're looking to spend) are outstanding value for the money. I have a fixed 10X Super Sniper that has served me well.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

I have the same rifle on backorder and just ordered this scope from Optics Planet. They currently have a 10% off coupon code and it was $269 shipped.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...actical-4-12x40-riflescope-with-vmr-1-reticle

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is an awesome deal.

Heck, even if they send you a broken scope, Vortex will fix or replace.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would also recommend the SWFA fixed 10x.

The price range your in isn't going to buy much in a variable power scope; not to mention the recticles in that price range are going to be geared towards hunting, not precision shooting.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

Squaregrouper, Just an FYI.

Just a heads up that I just cancelled the order on the TC Compass in 6.5 CM. After doing some research, I found and verified with T/C (S&W) customer service that as a result of the Compass recall (http://compassrecalltcarms.com/), T/C basically made the adjustable trigger only adjustable between 5-6 lbs. Still a great deal on the rifle, but at this time there are no aftermarket triggers and I don't know if it would make it cost effective if they did??? Now looking into the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM.

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Don't know about Ruger scopes but there are always deals out there.

I love my new Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40, in mint condition offered up--complete with rings--by a member here recently for $100. The ad was up probably all of five minutes before I pounced.

Update...
    I was able to snag a TC Compass combo in 6.5 Creedmoor, which included a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40.
    After the rebate, this will have cost me ~$300, including FFL. I'm very happy.

Attachments

• 20171031_201200.jpg
      20171031_201200.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads