• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a Bushnell TR25, and it is just OK, not my favorite. Are the TurGlo and UTG ones any good? Looking for a budget one for .22 plinking, saving for a better one for my AR. Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile all over the internet , as we speak , dozens of dissatisfied users of TruGlo's and UTG's are being advised to move up to a TR25 .

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I'll second the vote for TR-25. I actually like the thing and I bought a pair a while ago on sale and one sits on my Ruger 10/22.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Meanwhile all over the internet , as we speak , dozens of dissatisfied users of TruGlo's and UTG's are being advised to move up to a TR25 .
    I remember my first red dot... it was this super-cheap AIM Sports dot that didn't even have clicks for adjustment. Needless to say, I eventually discovered it was horrible and tossed it in the trash because selling it to someone seemed extremely unethical.

Second was one of those cheapo red dots with a 2x magnifier screwed in on the front. It was marginally usable, but I decided I wanted more from life than that, so I sold it with the 10/22 it was on.

Nowadays, I pretty much only buy Primary Arms/Holosun or better. It's funny that there are times when the "lower end" brands have solutions that are either unavailable from (PA 3x 7.62x39 prism with removable riser) or better (Vortex Spitfire 1x) than the higher end brands.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One I recommend is the TruGlo Dual Color Red/Green red dot optic. I used one early before buying a lot of C-Mores and I still use it on my rimfire competition 15-22. But I have to say that because its an open red dot sight its real advantage is only for speed shooting as I like the multiple reticle patterns and the fact that it can do green which is somewhat better than red in bright sunlight. For most of everything else the TR25, Holosun, and Primary Arms sights would be fine unless you need the very best for competition like a C-More or an Ultradot.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One I recommend is the TruGlo Dual Color Red/Green red dot optic. I used one early before buying a lot of C-Mores and I still use it on my rimfire competition 15-22. But I have to say that because its an open red dot sight its real advantage is only for speed shooting as I like the multiple reticle patterns and the fact that it can do green which is somewhat better than red in bright sunlight. For most of everything else the TR25, Holosun, and Primary Arms sights would be fine unless you need the very best for competition like a C-More or an Ultradot.
    The price differential between a C-More/Ultradot and a Holosun/PA has shrunk pretty far at this point... if you ever think you're gonna need the former, I'd just buy it up front.

JMD2004

Aug 9, 2017
    Lexington Park
    look up the CVLife ones on amazon..the 2nd one down for $25 on sale is a great optic..i have one on my Victory...also look at the leapers 38mm ones..very affordable and work great for me. I have red dots on everything i own..and have cheap ones up to Vortex ones...i love the TRS-25 but it is small. Plenty of suggestions if you want them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have an old Tasco ProPoint 44mm with the most defined dot I have seen in a sight. It subtends about 6 moa. A small 22 gets bulky with it. I have a TR-25 on both 22's carbines I use for gaming or plinking since the smaller sight keeps them lithe and agile.
    I did see a Sight Mark (?) refex mini sight at Cabelas which seemed like a good idea. I was concerned about looking through it with the iron sights on the 22's. Seems like a good way to evaluate whether the set up would be feasible without spending alot of cash.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an old Tasco ProPoint 44mm with the most defined dot I have seen in a sight. It subtends about 6 moa. A small 22 gets bulky with it. I have a TR-25 on both 22's carbines I use for gaming or plinking since the smaller sight keeps them lithe and agile.
    My understanding is that some of the older Tasco red dots were made in Japan, albeit this is back when "made in Japan" didn't have the same cachet it has now. Still, the moral of the story remains: there are some older scopes out there that are very high quality and going for relatively bargain prices because people simply don't know the full story behind the brand and model line.

I have a TR-25 on both 22's carbines I use for gaming or plinking since the smaller sight keeps them lithe and agile.
    I run one on a 9mm SMG... no problems. Pretty amazing for an optic that's as cheap as the TRS-25 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom