• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Does anyone have an opinion for a gun mounted camera? I might be in the market for one soon but would like one that has decent video quality especially during the shot. Also looking for something that is kind of sleek with easy to operate controls and no beeps or flashing lights (for hunting). I’d prefer something that records on a card and not wifi, and in one continuous video instead of a bunch of smaller videos that need spliced together. Opinions or reviews of any that are currently on the market? Any brands to avoid?

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I was looking at a Tactacam at the great outdoors show. Looks like a quality camera, and the footage was good. A little more stealth vs. a GoPro, but you will get more versatility with the GoPro.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Viridian should be coming out with a bunch of models both universal and custom fit to most of the major carry guns before too long.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I've seen tactacam advertised a lot on some hunting shows. The footage on their site looks like it's decent quality but it's posted on their site ("taken with a grain of salt")so they may only be posting the best quality ones with optimum lighting/sound.

Amazon has other cameras from atn shot trak, contour, tachyon all with varying reviews.

Go pro: Though I've never really looked into them I know this company is typically the standard for action cameras. The cameras can take a beating and has a wide selection of mounts available. Any idea of the video quality at the time of the shot? Any beeps or lights while recording?

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I've been using a Tactacam,I like it. Have it set up to switch around gun to gun. Also mount it to my Polaris.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 272

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have used an Ion cam in the past, but got a GoPro 5 black and love it, primarily for RC/drone and motorcycle stuff. can take 120hz in full HD and 240 in 720P, so can do really good slow-mo, or take up to 4K video with a variety of narrow-wide settings, most offer stabilization. There isn't an optical zoom, but with a narrow setting and/or high resolution, you can probably still get better than 4x with an HD output. I got it for $350 on sale, and then applied a bunch of Best Buy rewards twards it and paid less than $200, it's probably the least expensive "flagship" model they have ever come out with. There is a reason they are so popular, it just works, apps are good, no bugs, and good support if something does go wrong. The video is incredible, have a pile of eBay mounts to stick it on most things, but ended up making a rail mount for it. I took an old stubby VFG, cut it, then glued on a mount base, and can set it up with links and mounts from there pointing at the target or shooter from a variety of positions. It's relatively heavy and bulky, would be tough to mount to a pistol, but for a rifle with a rail where it doesn't obstruct a scope, it will work. Have seen some purpose built pistol cameras that are much smaller, and could probably fit more places, and on more guns, but the image won't be as good.

Attachments

• 20170613_154610.jpg
      20170613_154610.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 259
    • 20170613_154710.jpg
      20170613_154710.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 258

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    mike3888, do you have version 2,3, or 4? anything you don't like about it?

Temp, I don't like how you download what was recorded, of course I'm computer stupid. The wife downloads the stuff for me. Mine is a version 2 I've had it a while. The best thing is it's compact and lightweight I use it on about everything.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I've seen tactacam advertised a lot on some hunting shows. The footage on their site looks like it's decent quality but it's posted on their site ("taken with a grain of salt")so they may only be posting the best quality ones with optimum lighting/sound.

Amazon has other cameras from atn shot trak, contour, tachyon all with varying reviews.

Go pro: Though I've never really looked into them I know this company is typically the standard for action cameras. The cameras can take a beating and has a wide selection of mounts available. Any idea of the video quality at the time of the shot? Any beeps or lights while recording?
    Have GoPro Hero Sessions, very nice HD video and ease of use, up to about 25-30 ft away from the camera. You can turn off the beeps & red flashing light. Absolutely blows for a hunting camera. With zero zoom, I missed every 25 yard plus shot I took with it. You kinda see the woods, see the recoil of the gun/x-bow, then nothing but the woods. I don't use anymore for hunting, it's pointless.

Tactacam shoots full time in 5X zoom. Seen great videos on line. This will be my next purchase, if this is less than superb, I'm done trying to film my shots. Too much expense and effort to end up with crap results.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Have GoPro Hero Sessions, very nice HD video and ease of use, up to about 25-30 ft away from the camera. You can turn off the beeps & red flashing light. Absolutely blows for a hunting camera. With zero zoom, I missed every 25 yard plus shot I took with it. You kinda see the woods, see the recoil of the gun/x-bow, then nothing but the woods. I don't use anymore for hunting, it's pointless.

Tactacam shoots full time in 5X zoom. Seen great videos on line. This will be my next purchase, if this is less than superb, I'm done trying to film my shots. Too much expense and effort to end up with crap results.

The tactacam 3.0 and 4.0 have 3 different shooting modes:
    standard = 2.7k @ 30fps
    zoom = 5x zoom, 1080 @ 60fps
    slow motion = 120 fps

You can also turn the lights off on the tactacom. Video seems to be decent out to about 120 yds on the 5x zoom. Of course low light and fog can affect that too. If you find the bambi whacking thread in the outdoor sports section I have a bunch of videos I've shot.

My computer doesn't support 2k video. I can't view any videos I've shot with that, so all my recordings has been done with the 5x zoom.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I have been using the Tactacam 4.0 on my SBE 2 for goose & duck hunting and it is a great camera. It is very versatile if you want it on a bow, muzzle loader, pistol, rifle or shotgun it give you great videos.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Anyone chime in for the ATN Shot Trak or Shot Trak-X? Researched it some last season & didn't go for it. GoPro is garbage for hunting cam, pissed I spent the $450-500 for the camera & few different mounts. Now it sits in my safe videoing nothing. Put it on my Mom's Chihuahua now & then for her POV video. She loves it for some reason.

Saw good videos with this ATN cam, now I'm in a toss up btw this & the Tacticam. I literally have about 10 cameras/mounts that I've tried to get hunting POV videos with over the last 15 yrs. All of them suck. Giving one more chance, it's up to one of these cams. Any good reviews will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom