• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    TBH I do not blame them for not wanting to deal with the hassle of DC gun law for such a small market.

It is one thing if a business decides it is no restricted jurisdictions. I can understand that to a degree.

It is another if they decide some restricted jurisdictions but not other restricted jurisdictions. That is BS.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    It is one thing if a business decides it is no restricted jurisdictions. I can understand that to a degree.

It is another if they decide some restricted jurisdictions but not other restricted jurisdictions. That is BS.

Hi everyone, getting ready for eventually after my FFL appt and subsequent pickup appt) to bring home my handgun sitting in MPD purgatory.

Reading up an ammo trying to look for recommendations so I stay within the law. Do folks still order ammo online? I though DC rules required ammo be purchased “in person”?

Thanks!

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Well prices are terrible right now but

Ammunitionstore.com

Has no problems shipping to DC.
    Make an account and upload your registration info and they are good to go.

They had a decent mix of brands that I was looking to try out.

Local member here ammojon posted in this thread and his prices aren't bad. You just have to drive to get but he does have stock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Back in December I did send an email to the DC AG Office asking if it was against the law for a company to ship ammo to a DC resident.

They never responded

I sent a follow up email 5/22/2020

They responded 5/27/2020
    Pointing me to DC code (lol)
    And said if I had any other questions to contact the firearms registration office.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Back in December I did send an email to the DC AG Office asking if it was against the law for a company to ship ammo to a DC resident.

They never responded

They responded 5/27/2020
    And said if I had any other questions to contact the firearms registration office.

Thanks for the info! When i head to the range I have a friend who has stocked up with ammunition. Just not sure I can have any of that in dc since I didn’t purchase it from a dealer who require a registration certificate and blood sample

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I'm sure there are those in DC who saw what CA did with ammo and are itching to one up them.

For now you are gtg and have fun at the range.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hi everyone, getting ready for eventually after my FFL appt and subsequent pickup appt) to bring home my handgun sitting in MPD purgatory.

Reading up an ammo trying to look for recommendations so I stay within the law. Do folks still order ammo online? I though DC rules required ammo be purchased “in person”?

Thanks!

If you find yourself in Frederick, I have 9/223/556 in stock. AFAIK, nothing unlawful to purchase outside of DC and carry in as long as you’ve a firearm registered with MOD and the ammo caliber matches the firearm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I think they changed it so that as long as you have a firearm registered you can have any ammo just not 50bmg or banned stuff lol.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Well prices are terrible right now but

Ammunitionstore.com

Has no problems shipping to DC.
    Make an account and upload your registration info and they are good to go.

They had a decent mix of brands that I was looking to try out.

Local member here ammojon posted in this thread and his prices aren't bad. You just have to drive to get but he does have stock.

Midway will also ship any caliber (other than .50 BMG) if you upload a front and back pic of your registration card.

As you said there was a law that prohibited possession of any caliber that you do not have a registered firearm. I read the regs recently and that section was removed. Hooray.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Midway will also ship any caliber (other than .50 BMG) if you upload a front and back pic of your registration card.

As you said there was a law that prohibited possession of any caliber that you do not have a registered firearm. I read the regs recently and that section was removed. Hooray.

So the ammo that my friend has in va, that would be ok to bring into dc?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC

They never responded

They responded 5/27/2020

OK so I asked Lt. Hall, as directed by AG office :), it is legal for an online business to ship ammo into DC to a DC resident.

He replied: "It has been the interpretation of MPD that you may purchase ammunition online directly."

I guess there could/should be some concern about "interpretation" but that's for another day.

I doubt I will be the one asking for this on official letterhead (for now) but anyone who says they cannot ship into DC because of local laws is lying.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    OK so I asked Lt. Hall, as directed by AG office :), it is legal for an online business to ship ammo into DC to a DC resident.

He replied: "It has been the interpretation of MPD that you may purchase ammunition online directly."

I guess there could/should be some concern about "interpretation" but that's for another day.

I doubt I will be the one asking for this on official letterhead (for now) but anyone who says they cannot ship into DC because of local laws is lying.

Companies can ship to DC, some choose not to. I spoke with one company's legal guy and he said if they misinterpret the law they could face the loss of their operating licence and a $250,000 fine. He had good reason to cancel my order IMHO.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I think they changed it so that as long as you have a firearm registered you can have any ammo just not 50bmg or banned stuff lol.

Yea I remember reading that somewhere after I gave away some .380 ammo that I picked up and purchased by accident.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Companies can ship to DC, some choose not to. I spoke with one company's legal guy and he said if they misinterpret the law they could face the loss of their operating licence and a $250,000 fine. He had good reason to cancel my order IMHO.
    I get it. And they can do whatever they want. It just kind of irks me when it's not really that they can't, it's that they won't.

Some of those same places have no problems shipping to CT, NJ, IL as long as you provide registration info.

At least for now there are online and local options.

chen t

May 20, 2020

Damn this city bring so confusing. I got friends and family in VA. I don’t see any reason to have it shipped to my door in DC. If I’m not watching the front door it’ll probably get stolen anyways.

There’s a couple discounts I get through work and one of them is federal. They won’t ship to dc but they will ship to VA :party29:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Damn this city bring so confusing. I got friends and family in VA. I don’t see any reason to have it shipped to my door in DC. If I’m not watching the front door it’ll probably get stolen anyways.

There’s a couple discounts I get through work and one of them is federal. They won’t ship to dc but they will ship to VA :party29:
    Ship everything to VA.

targetsportsusa.com
    sgammo.com

Are two of the best online places

Gunbot and ammoseek are some good ammo search engines.

And of course there is Shamrock and Ammojon for local option.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

I’m not sure who would be fining them since they operate out of DC’s jurisdiction and though you need an FFL to manufacture ammo, aside from ground shipping / hazmat requirements, I don’t think there are any federal laws about shipping ammo as there are for firearms.

That said, their business their choice. While not the best prices always, I like to reward Midway and Ammo Store for dealing with the DC ********. Beyond the absurd laws and reputation DC has, the market size is really the largest impairment. People will wade through shit for CA, NJ, and the other slave states, there just aren’t enough gun owners here to make it worth the effort / risk.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    TargetSportsUSA update:

After my email exchange with Lt. Hall I sent a very detailed email 8/3 to TargetSportsUSA explaining it was legal to ship ammo to DC and here is my email exchange with a DC Police Lt. and here is a copy of my firearms registration card. Would you be willing to treat DC like CT, IL, MA and NJ which you will ship to if you get a permit uploaded.

Never heard back from them but the other day they did have some ammo I was looking for.
    Logged in and uploaded my registration card (was not able to do that before) and placed my order.

Not sure if I slipped through the crack somehow or if they changed their policy, but the order went through, was shipped and delivered.

Website still says no ammo sales to DC so YMMV.

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    I've had good luck with targetsport so far. Uploaded my registrations and they've been shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom