• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    After searching on the internet for the perfect BCG, I ordered a Toolcraft nitrided BCG from Arm or Ally. I ordered it with the C158 bolt, but the 9130 bolt is $5 cheaper. It was $88.95 with s&h, with a cheaper option for USPS standard. It was listed as including a mil-spec o-ring as well.

Immediately I took it out it’s bubble wrap package and the bolt is clearly marked C-158.
    The whole BCG is nearly devoid of tool marks minus some barely noticeable ones on the gas key. Speaking of the gas key, it is properly staked.

Disassembling the bolt reveals a proper black insert, spring and aforementioned O-ring.
    Minus the cotter pin and firing pin, it has a uniform nitrided finish, including the extractor. Can’t wait to see how it works when I finish getting my AR-15 together.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have three Toolcraft BCG. They are in my 308’s. They have done very well by me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    From what I understand a bunch of companies source BCG's from Toolcraft. I think they make a great product but it makes sense to break it down like you did and inspect it. You can always upgrade springs and make those minor changes that make a difference.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Nitride ones are not as consistent as the phosphate ones. I hope it serves you well none the less.

Many of the companies that make Nitride BCG's have oversized bores in the carrier and gas key.

As a point of clarity, Toolcraft only makes the Carrier. They source the Bolt Head from other companies.

18wheeler

Mar 16, 2019
    Perryville
    The Nitride ones are not as consistent as the phosphate ones. I hope it serves you well none the less.

Many of the companies that make Nitride BCG's have oversized bores in the carrier and gas key.

As a point of clarity, Toolcraft only makes the Carrier. They source the Bolt Head from other companies.

I’ve read that they source the bolt from different companies, so I made sure to order it from a vendor that had the option for a C158 bolt. The materials that make up the whole BCG are to spec, including the extractor. The bolt is also shot peebed and MPI. I actually preferred it to not be high pressure tested as MPI can pick up any cracks and HPT can potentially damage the bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom