• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmoxley

Dec 6, 2016
    To my understanding a sbr AR-15 with government profile barrel is legal in MD even though it is essentially a "copycat".

Auto Ordnance sells the semi-auto Thompson 1927 A-1 pistol (approved on the handgun roster) as well as a separate stock that would fit it once it is sbr'd.

If starting with the approved pistol and applying for the tax stamp would the final Thompson be MD legal or would it still be considered a copycat of the banned Auto Ordinance Thompson and clones?

I tried searching this on mdshooters and the Google and the only related page I found was an ad by Engage selling an SBR'd semi-auto Thompson in 2015.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    What does a Thompson have to do with an AR15?

I *think* you are asking whether SBRs need to follow "Copycat" capital C (>29", only two evil features like flash hider/folding stick/detachable mag). Yes. But seems like you would be in the clear, provided the sbr is >29".

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What does a Thompson have to do with an AR15?

I *think* you are asking whether SBRs need to follow "Copycat" capital C (>29", only two evil features like flash hider/folding stick/detachable mag). Yes. But seems like you would be in the clear, provided the sbr is >29".

An SBR is not a copy of a banned enumerated weapon unless the banned enumerated weapon is specifically an SBR.

An SBR AR-15 is not considered a copy of a banned enumerated weapon. So you can build a 14.7” government profile barrel AR-15 (once you have your tax stamp).

You can buy or make an AK pistol, because it is not considered a copy of an AK-47.

I can’t speak to the Auto Ordinance example as I don’t have the list in front of me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    An SBR is not a copy of a banned enumerated weapon unless the banned enumerated weapon is specifically an SBR.

An SBR AR-15 is not considered a copy of a banned enumerated weapon. So you can build a 14.7” government profile barrel AR-15 (once you have your tax stamp).

You can buy or make an AK pistol, because it is not considered a copy of an AK-47.

I can’t speak to the Auto Ordinance example as I don’t have the list in front of me.

I am referring to the other "Copycat" provision. post 2013 SBR's need to comply with the evil features test for rifles:

Dealers are reminded that a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (77R) is, and will remain, required for SBR’s/SBS’s with a barrel under 16” in length. Semi-automatic SBR’swith (1) an overall length of less than 29” and/or (2) any two of the following: (1) a folding stock; (2) a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or (3) a flash suppressor is a “copycat weapon” under provisions of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 and is not eligible for sale to the general public unless the purchaser had a purchase order for, or a completed application to purchase, the firearm prior to October 1, 2013.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/LD-FRU-15-004 Summary of Passed Legislation.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom