Wear & Carry Permit Rules for Gun Placement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buktseat

Shootist, Gent, Scholar
    Sep 30, 2014
    Westminster
    This conflicts with what's posted for 5-401 at the Maryland General Assembly website:

(1) “Handgun” means a pistol, a revolver, or any other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.
    (2) “Handgun” does not include a shotgun, a rifle, a short–barreled rifle, a short–barreled shotgun, or an antique firearm.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-401&ext=html&session=2018RS&tab=subject5

None the less, an AR pistol is not an SBR.

What I'm most concerned with is whether it's legal to leave in my car when I'm not in it.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I just took the MD CCW class a couple of weeks ago. Instructor said specifically off body carry is OK in MD with a carry permit. However there are places that it's not. I believe DC is one of them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    @ post #17 - If lots of case law say that pistol in xyz placement is concealed on or about for purposes of conviction , then ergo xyz place would be on or about when done under color of a W&C .

@ post #20 - 5-301-c1 states being capable of concealed on person .

In absense of a Md specific definition , that phrase in Federal Law is defined as less than 26in OAL .

The chopped SxS's in my earlier post were sub 26in , a post '13 AR ( or other semiato centerfire ) wouldn't be , bein minimum 29in .

buktseat

Shootist, Gent, Scholar
    Sep 30, 2014
    Westminster
    @ post #17 - If lots of case law say that pistol in xyz placement is concealed on or about for purposes of conviction , then ergo xyz place would be on or about when done under color of a W&C .

@ post #20 - 5-301-c1 states being capable of concealed on person .

In absense of a Md specific definition , that phrase in Federal Law is defined as less than 26in OAL .

The chopped SxS's in my earlier post were sub 26in , a post '13 AR ( or other semiato centerfire ) wouldn't be , bein minimum 29in .

Right, but I'm specifically talking about an AR *pistol*. The two core points in this whole discussion are:
    1) Can I legally "carry" a loaded pistol in my car/glove box/gym bag, etc?(seems to be a not-so-concrete "yes" based on statutes and case law that don't specifically address it)
    2) Can I legally leave a loaded pistol in my car when I'm not in it, for example, in a public parking lot, or in my bag when I'm not carrying it, for example, at the gym. (Undetermined)
    3) For purposes of concealed carry, does an AR pistol count as a pistol in the eyes of Maryland law. (Undetermined, but probably so)

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Agreed! So I'm hoping someone can guide me to any law that details ways in which you may *not* carry as a permit holder. In general, does the permit negate the laws regarding transport of a weapon? I mean, it seems at least implied, out of necessity. But cops can be jerks, and prosecutors can be even jerkier.

Ask yourself for what you can be arrested for if you don’t have a permit, and that would probably answer wha you can do if you have apermit. Under the seat of the car, in a briefcase or toolkit, in the trunk. In other words within your domain or your control.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I thought I did see a post on women that carry here , but what about women that purse carry . That is not on her person , in a separate bag . What if I carried a man purse .?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I thought I did see a post on women that carry here , but what about women that purse carry . That is not on her person , in a separate bag . What if I carried a man purse .?

Your permit covers that and if you carry it in your bag without a permit, well, just try telling the judge the bag is merely an extension of your socks drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom