• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Question for you all. Not sure if you can answer this question. Is there any deaf/hard of hearing instructor(s) that is qualified in MD ? If not, then I may be the first one once I get my creds to be a full certified instructor. I will reach out to Ben K eventually but just trying to have everything in stone for now.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Silentdynasty is LEGIT! Help this man out!

Truly curious if there are any others out there.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Ben has taught at least two hearing impaired students for NRA Basic Pistol/HQL.
    As I recall each brought their own interpreter. One interpreter, despite his initial objections, ended up shooting as well and left with a course completion certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    CypherPunk,

Thank you for the information. So it seems like if I complete the NRA Basic Instructor course, I may be the first one in MD to be certified. Please correct me if I am wrong. The reason why I am asking because I am trying to close the gap in the deaf/hard of hearing community when it comes to guns safety and etc. I won't take your future students who are deaf/hard of hearing since that is not who I am but just wanted to make sure there is some accessibility in some way for them if they want to take a class with me in the future. I do know getting an interpreter is expensive and it is not cheap so to save everyone's time and money, I can teach if there is some agreement in some kind of way. I do understand there is competition from what I was told.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    CypherPunk,

Thank you for the information. So it seems like if I complete the NRA Basic Instructor course, I may be the first one in MD to be certified. Please correct me if I am wrong. The reason why I am asking because I am trying to close the gap in the deaf/hard of hearing community when it comes to guns safety and etc. I won't take your future students who are deaf/hard of hearing since that is not who I am but just wanted to make sure there is some accessibility in some way for them if they want to take a class with me in the future. I do know getting an interpreter is expensive and it is not cheap so to save everyone's time and money, I can teach if there is some agreement in some kind of way. I do understand there is competition from what I was told.

I don't know anyone who has a problem training competent people to become instructors.

Especially if it leads to an increased number of responsible gun owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    When I first became an NRA Instructor in 1983 my hearing was normal. Since then I have lost my hearing and now wear hearing aids and am considered to have moderate to severe hearing loss.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    DC-W,

Thanks for the shout out!

CyperPunk,

Make sense to me and understood!

Blacksmith101,

Both ears are moderate to severe hearing loss however do not take me for a fool since I have hearing aids. I can definitely speak well, hear 70 percent of the sounds and etc and sign as a champ. :D

Lowoncash,

Interesting!

K31,

Mmmkay.

Like I said before I was just wondering and now I hope I do not get thrown under the bus because of my hearing loss. But let me school you on the word "hearing impaired". I am not going to speak on my behalf because I was schooled on this as well. This term is no longer accepted by most in the community but was at one time preferred, largely because it was viewed as politically correct. To declare oneself or another person as deaf or blind, for example, was considered somewhat bold, rude, or impolite. At that time, it was thought better to use the word “impaired” along with “visually,” “hearing,” “mobility,” and so on. “Hearing-impaired” was a well-meaning term that is not accepted or used by many deaf and hard of hearing people.

For many people, the words “deaf” and “hard of hearing” are not negative. Instead, the term “hearing-impaired” is viewed as negative. The term focuses on what people can’t do. It establishes the standard as “hearing” and anything different as “impaired,” or substandard, hindered, or damaged. It implies that something is not as it should be and ought to be fixed if possible. To be fair, this is probably not what people intended to convey by the term “hearing impaired.”

Every individual is unique, but there is one thing we all have in common: we all want to be treated with respect. To the best of our own unique abilities, we have families, friends, communities, and lives that are just as fulfilling as anyone else. We may be different, but we are not less.

What’s in a name? Plenty! Words and labels can have a profound effect on people. Show your respect for people by refusing to use outdated or offensive terms. When in doubt, ask the individual how they identify themselves.

If you want more information please check out the link: https://www.nad.org/resources/ameri...unity-and-culture-frequently-asked-questions/

Just for your information the definition of hearing impaired is not mine. It is National Association for the Deaf. I give them full credit and copyrights just for your review and thinking!

This is all for now. PM me if any questions!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , so deaf is deaf.
    Hearing impared, but not deaf- deaf don't need no stinkin' terminology.

Most of the usage of (whatever)-impared seemed silly, but for hearing it actually seemed logical .

Go figure.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Just call a person who can't hear 'deaf or hard of hearing'. Like me, I indentified myself as hard of hearing male. The reason why I identified myself hard of hearing is I can speak well and hear average to receive information. People like us have our own identity what they prefer to be called. Again, hearing impaired is a derogatory term that the government uses to oppress us and think we can't do anything as a normal human being. We can do anything besides hear. I'll be honest, my family, doctor, audiologist, businesses uses hearing impaired because they aren't aware of the oppression. It doesn't bother me as much before. If you want to call me hearing impaired that's fine but others wouldn't like it. I'm not here for the pity game either. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of it because people can come at you and get very defensive over that. Just a fair warning. Just PM me if any more questions because this topic can be a little political in a way. I'm all up for a debate or friendly discussion regarding to this topic. Hope this help you to get a clear understanding about the terminology itself.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    what difference does it make if the instructor is deaf?

The deaf community is very tight and generally speaking, the services and products you and I buy and use aren't made with deaf people in mind. Think getting the HQL or a carry permit is hard? Try finding an instructor who knows guns, techniques, the the laws, AND knows how to communicate in your language.

Pretty certain that I'd have a pretty difficult time as a deaf person finding a racing car instructor that I could communicate with and would understand the circumstances I was born with.

This is opening up responsible gun ownership and the exercise of right to a community that doesn't have much representation in the world of guns and self-defense. We should be encouraging it greatly.

Outreach my friends, outreach. The pro-2A crowd can never have enough allies...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In another lifetime 20-25 years ago my then other half was a teacher's aid at Kendall. She also interpreted for mainstreamed high school students in PG County schools. She was never certified as an interpreter, but people who knew her said she was one of the best. I learned a lot about the deaf community when I was with her.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    what difference does it make if the instructor is deaf?

Or:
    Special Forces
    Delta Force
    Former SEAL
    Marine Force Reconaissance
    Retired local Law Enforcement
    Retired Federal Law Enforcement
    Retired State Law Enforcement
    Female
    Black
    Actual African American (South Boer descendant)
    Competition Shooter
    IT Admin for a bank

None of ^^^that^^^ matters either but if it distincts you from the competition why not accentuate it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually it would be advantageous for an instructor to be able to directly communicate with students using ASL instead of having to go through a translator in both directions . A hearing instructor fluent in ASL could presumably do so as well, but they aren't too thick on the ground. Probably easier to ramp up existing ASL "speakers" to Instructor level, than to teach ASL to fluid level for existing Instructors.

Other than marketing appeal to a segment of prospective students, a female Instructor would presumably have personal knowledge of aspects involving smaller than average male hand sizes, and upper body muscle tone and porportion issues . ( Not to overgeneralize, there are plenty of both tall athletic women, and short men.) But a * Good * Instructor of either sex will have a broad knowledge base of techniques for all combinations of size and build .

No disrespect to all the good Instructors with LE and elite Mil backgrounds, but their (admirable) prior service doesn't inherently make them good Teachers . Or for that matter wide knowledgebase beyond what works for them personally.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Or:
    Special Forces
    Delta Force
    Former SEAL
    Marine Force Reconaissance
    Retired local Law Enforcement
    Retired Federal Law Enforcement
    Retired State Law Enforcement
    Female
    Black
    Actual African American (South Boer descendant)
    Competition Shooter
    IT Admin for a bank

None of ^^^that^^^ matters either but if it distincts you from the competition why not accentuate it?

It does matter. But appealing to a need or a segment of the population is fine.
    Being deaf does not give someone the experience of someone who has good gun experience. It does matter if someone wants experience.

A deaf instructor would appeal to the deaf. A deaf student would most likely go to a deaf basic NRA instructor before they would go to a non deaf former Delta guy for training. As someone with good hearing, why would you go to a deaf instructor for a basic class when you go to one who isn't?
    This is all assuming that sign language would be involved.

Now, a deaf black female who just got out of Delta Force and speaks spanish, you might be on to something. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom