• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Been hit with one of my intermittent interests , and fooling with lantern . IIRC , circa '93 , dollar store type Chinese , Swallow brand Model 235

* Almost * a clone of Dietz " Original 76 " , except the Swallow has 3/8 in wick , whereas the Dietz Orig 76 ( AND the German Feuerhand 276 that the Orig 76 is closely modeled after ) use 1/2 in .

The good news is I finally figured out how to set it up , and adjust it to work properly .

The bad news is I can't get the filler cap off . It seems to be some sort childproof ? But neither my considerable finger grip , nor babysized needlenose vise grips work to unscrew it . Is there some secret ? Or just use proper sized channel locks, and go for it ?

I can still fill it by removing the burner assy, and filling thru the center opening , but it's rather cumbersome , and I'd prefer the option of using the filler . If it comes to it , I'd be fine with destructive to current cap , and replace with old school non- child cap .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Probably not rust .

When I eventually get it off , planning to replace with old school cap from Kirkmans.

The filler is recessed into a dimple of the tank enough , only small space for tools . The outer part spins freely , but can't get the inner to turn . Worst case a dremil cutoff wheel to cut off the outer portion .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom