• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Sometimes I run across a nice accessory for something on my bucket list and will grab it, figuring that somewhere down the road the firearm will follow. That's what happened this spring when I found a killer bargain on a Audley holster for the Colt .22 Caliber Target Model, aka the "Pre Woodsman". Not the easiest holster to find, this one was in good condition, with abrasion damage to the Audley logo being the only downside. I was the only bidder and it went home with me for well below market. Now to keep looking for the pistol!
    -After a year of searching I finally found the right Pre Woodsman for me. All original with the original high polish finish it has a 4 digit SN that dates it to 1918, three years into production.
    -Grips are perfect, so much so that I thought they might be reproductions. But the're the real deal, super difficult to find on the older Colts. So many of these are found with replacement Woodsman grips w.o. the familiar diamond pattern around the mounting screw.
    -Finish is VG with some loss on the back strap, near the rampant Colt logo and on the right side of the slide. It still has the original mainspring with the fine checkered housing. Many early Colts had this replaced years later with the HV mainspring from the Woodsman that allows for high velocity ammo to be safely used. How to tell? The HV housing has parallel horizontal lines vs the standard velocity checkered.
    -Magazine is the original heat treated "two tone".
    -The Audley Patented Safety Holster is a favorite of mine. It has a unique spring loaded catch that is released by the wearer using the index finger. Makes it possible to secure without a strap. Very popular back in the teens, 20s and 30s with motorcycle and mounted police as well as military officers in WWI. The Woodsman fits it like a glove, snapping into place. It is impossible to remove without pressing the catch, very secure. There's a nice brief history of Audley and his holster on Vintage Gun Leather.com.
    -Speaking of websites, the best I've found on the Woodsman is Bob Rayburn's Colt .22.com site. A treasure of info as there are no books specific to the Woodsman that I know of.

Attachments

• IMGP8592.JPG
      IMGP8592.JPG
      42.8 KB · Views: 302
    • IMGP8593.JPG
      IMGP8593.JPG
      30.7 KB · Views: 290
    • IMGP8594.JPG
      IMGP8594.JPG
      32.8 KB · Views: 291
    • IMGP8595.JPG
      IMGP8595.JPG
      46.6 KB · Views: 285
    • IMGP8596.JPG
      IMGP8596.JPG
      23.1 KB · Views: 293
    • IMGP8597.JPG
      IMGP8597.JPG
      86.5 KB · Views: 285
    • IMGP8598.JPG
      IMGP8598.JPG
      26.3 KB · Views: 287

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Photos of the Audley rig. Would kill to find a decent Audley for my American Eagle Luger. Last one I saw for sale had a $500 asking price!

Attachments

• IMGP8600.JPG
      IMGP8600.JPG
      39.9 KB · Views: 274
    • IMGP8601.JPG
      IMGP8601.JPG
      67.8 KB · Views: 278
    • IMGP8602.JPG
      IMGP8602.JPG
      63.2 KB · Views: 278
    • IMGP8603.JPG
      IMGP8603.JPG
      31.8 KB · Views: 278
    • IMGP8604.JPG
      IMGP8604.JPG
      51 KB · Views: 273
    • IMGP8605.JPG
      IMGP8605.JPG
      60.5 KB · Views: 277

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    And Mawkie makes me drool all over my keyboard yet again..... easily the 10th keyboard I'll have to replace this year!

Beautiful pieces there Mawkie!

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    My school's library had a big encyclopedia of guns (it was a good school and it was a long time ago) and I must have checked that bad boy out a dozen times. That Pre-Woodsman was my 7th grade heartthrob. Congratulations. And that is one righteous holster.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The shocker is that I was the only bidder on GB for the Pre Woodsman. Crazy. The seller put up great photos and the starting bid price was a very reasonable $500. No one else bid on it. What probably helped was that the auction closed over the holiday weekend. I love to troll for goodies on GB at these times as I believe competition is distracted with family obligations or vacations. In the past it certainly has seemed to work. And I notice that most established auction houses never schedule significant auctions during these times so I'm sure they realize the same dynamic is in play.

Jul 1, 2012
    Very sweet pistol !!
    As Mawkie says it's hard to find one still all original with correct grips & mag, and in such nice shape.
    The grips and mag are worth almost the final price... so nice.

Rayburn's site is the go-to for Woodsman info for sure.

Good description on recognizing the different mainspring housings.

....What probably helped was that the auction closed over the holiday weekend. I love to troll for goodies on GB at these times as I believe competition is distracted with family obligations or vacations. In the past it certainly has seemed to work. And I notice that most established auction houses never schedule significant auctions during these times so I'm sure they realize the same dynamic is in play.

much truth here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom