• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I can't believe we're getting the full or accurate story in the OP. I sure as $hit ain't no Alvin York, but I can do much better than 8" at 50 yards even with my Mini-14 and a red dot.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    With my forearms resting on the bench, I fired six shots through my S&W 686-1 with a 4" barrel and iron sights. I put all six within a 3 1/4 inch circle at 50 yards.

That fella in the OP ain't right.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    lol! I was shooting at clay pigeons at 600yards this weekend. Buddy was the one taking them out, but to my credit I winged one.

EDIT: saying I clipped it that may have been him being nice, but no one can say I didn't lol! First time ever shooting out past 200yrds. Was a good learning experience.

we started filling ballons w/ crushed up sidewalk chalk and posting them at 500+ yards. Not as small as a clay but visually rewarding without the explision from tanerite.

mad scientist

Jul 13, 2013
    WV now
    I know this has already been well answered but

Yeah that's crazy. With a lead-sled using my Colt AR with 5.56 or .223 I have done better than an 8" group with iron sights at 200 yards and I have no pro training. Did it at Carroll Co landfill the first time I used it at 200 yrds. Fired at 8" shoot and see targets and I don't think any of them were closer than an inch to the edge of the target.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I checked my "battle zero" at 25 yards and everything looked good. However, I could not ring the plate at 100 yards. Iron sites plus I couldn't tell where my shots were going cuz the ground was wet.
    I dunno. Some guy told me to use heavier bullets cuz I have 1:8 twist. Does that sound right?

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Staring at 25 move to 50 then 75 and so on . I would try different ammo ,brands , weight . Heavier may be better if your shooting a light bullet. Off topic but for my turkey shotgun I change /tried different chokes and shells trying to achieve the perfect pattern. I would definitely move out slower if your not hitting at 100yds.some rifles like one brand and not another even though they’re same weight.JMO

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    1:8 twist works well with 55, 62 or 77 gr. bullets. Most factory loads will be 55 or 62 and should be very accurate from your barrel.

If you zero @ 50 yards, you should be around 1.6" high @ 100 yards and zeroed again @ 200 yards. For most, this is the best "battle sight" setting. Putting the sights on anything out to 250 yards should result in a hit within 2" of the line of sight. Nothing complex and adequate for almost any target one is likely to encounter in a SHTF scenario. Particularly deadly to zombies with a little practice!

If you are having trouble determining where your shots are hitting, place a large piece of fresh cardboard or paper behind your target. Start @ 25 yards and then fine tune @ 50. After you are sure the sights are set, shoot @ 100 and check groupings. When comfortable, try some @ 200 and you may be surprised. My old eyes require a larger target at this distance, but I can still hit well enough to be effective. Recently, I put 9 of 10 shots in an 10" group with one a couple of inches wide @ 200 yards using open sights.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    25yds is too close to be able to tell at 100. I have made this mistake many times, been on paper at 25 and way off at 100. get on paper at 50 then try 100.

With most any even half decently built AR rifle, you should be able to hit a plate with factory surplus 55gr at 100ds (or 200yds for that matter). If you still cant hit it, its not the ammo, try a scope. I cannot hit crap with iron sights at 25yds, I can hit grapefruit at 200yds with a 6x scope. If you still cannot hit it then odds are your rifle was assembled at Dicks by the intern. I kid you not, I have seen some really shitty builds. tighten everything down. rail, barrel nut, scope rings, etc. Take it to a gunsmith and pay $25 to have them tighten every screw and put the hammer spring in correctly (true, dat, :wtf:). After that, #4 on the list is user error (flinching, jerking the trigger, etc).

In this order, failure to hit an 8" plate at 200 yds with an out of the box AR is: impatient sight in; bad eyes (get a scope); poor build. After that, I would blame user error. Practice more at 25 yards to start. First two are the most likely. ammo is way down there after you have tried 5 other things. With even a cheap AR on the market these days, you ought to be able to hit an 8" at 200 yards plate assuming everything is tight and you can see the target.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think just about any rifle, on a sled, with a scope, should be able to get 3" groups. At 100yds. In a sled the person pulling the trigger has less impact on the shots. Unless the are like the OPs subject.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yes, RRA 20" you can rule out a slap together loose AR. Which probably means a scope or practice.

I am not sure offhand about RRA A2, but it seems highly likely there is either a rail under the carry handle which is detachable (they sell a flat top version) or you can get a rail to mount an optic.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A scope can be mounted on an A2 handle. Put a cheap one on my 20" build recently that allows me to still use the iron sights, mounted solidly, and has been holding zero in spite of it's $29.99 price! The mount is the main reason I bought it and the plan is to replace the scope with a nicer one in the future. In the meantime, it serves the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom