• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have a few M1 carbines and 1 clone:

1944 Inland (S/N5466027) in excellent shape with WW2 configuration. Bought in 1998.

1944 Underwood (S/N2863896) in good condition with paratrooper stock. Bought in 2011.

#### Rock-Olar (4627431), every thing Rock-Olar accept the stock. (I see an W marking on stock). Bought in 2005.

Gen 3 Underwood Carbine in almost new condition. Bought 2011.

All of them are great shooters. However, while playing with them, I found that the Underwood eject the brass at 3 o'clock; others throw brass at 5 o'clock and over my head. Is this normal or somethings need to be replaced? I just realize this phenomenal when I decide picking brass for reloading. I shoot 30/9mm carbine a lot now a day.

Thanks for your opinions.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I tried the new recoil spring this morning and the direction of the rejection didn't change. I even tried with a milder load such as plated bullets 13.7 gr AA4100 power charges.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    After 1/2 year and nearly 1K rounds through the carbines plus some reading, I have found that I was quick at asking for help. There are no problems with the ejections from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. The ejection claw, the spring and shape of the deflector had been changed/improved a lot throughout the carbine's service life cycle and I have all kind of them in my collection, therefore the variation in ejection direction happens.

Anyhow, the circumstances just give me a chance to play with my carbines and I have learned a lot. I just reconfigured my Underwood to a more modern setup with an M2 stock, aluminum upper handguard with rail and a 2 MOA red dot sight. The old carbine's performance is now on par with any new rifle on the block. It's so much fun to shoot it (very good accuracy) that I hardly pickup anything else on weekends.

Attachments

• UnderWood M1 Carbine.jpg
      UnderWood M1 Carbine.jpg
      124.4 KB · Views: 575

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    What range did you shoot those groups from? Best I've ever seen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What range did you shoot those groups from? Best I've ever seen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That’s slightly worse than mine will do at 50yds with PPU. If I do my part mine will shoot 2.5” 100yd 5 shot groups and 10 shot groups aren’t really much bigger.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    25 yrds (indoor) standing off hand (no back and knee or ....any thing else supported) with 58 year old eyes and shaky hands from 16 years suffering with diabetic type 2.

The ammo are hand loads using Berry plated bullets plus 13.7 grains of IMR 4100. They are just plinkers, not match ammo.

The carbine is a Blue Sky re-import from South Korea I guess. it's in fair condition. I am really happy to see it performs this well.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Took mine out yesterday. Wife really enjoyed shooting it.they are great fun, handy and well balanced. Mine is a blue sky imported winchester with a winchester barrel and handguard. Stock is probably asian, not US military. A pick up on my C&R from cabelas.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Took mine out yesterday. Wife really enjoyed shooting it.they are great fun, handy and well balanced. Mine is a blue sky imported winchester with a winchester barrel and handguard. Stock is probably asian, not US military. A pick up on my C&R from cabelas.

I thought all stocks made in the US then shipped to Asia under Military Aid Program for replacements. My father put a new paratrooper stock on his M2 together with a double banana clips, and that was his main fire arm during Vietnam War beside his 1911 (solders under his command all had M16s.)

The carbine in the picture originally sold with an aftermarket para stock. The stock was beautiful but the recoil plate broken after a few 100 shots. I bought it in memory of my late father (also my very first long gun in the US). He promised giving his carbine to me when I turn 16.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought all stocks made in the US then shipped to Asia under Military Aid Program for replacements. My father put a new paratrooper stock on his M2 together with a double banana clips, and that was his main fire arm during Vietnam War beside his 1911 (solders under his command all had M16s.)

The carbine in the picture originally sold with an aftermarket para stock. The stock was beautiful but the recoil plate broken after a few 100 shots. I bought it in memory of my late father (also my very first long gun in the US). He promised giving his carbine to me when I turn 16.

If its aftermarket its probably Italian made, I have one on a carbine that has done well and one packed away for reserve.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Guys. I thought that korea restocked with an asian wood. I am sure not all as these rifles probably were sent east with parts incl some stocks.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    How do we know for sure those "Korean Asian Wood Stock" really made in Korea? There were lots of gun parts came from the US did not have GI stamps especially those under foreign (military aids) contracts. I know japan made a few M1 carbines for themselves and for Thailand under licence. Do those carbines have all Japanese made components or a few imports parts that already flooded on the US market? Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom