• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Made the trip to the Newark DE Cabela's to pick up my Marlin Model 60SN. First time going through the 4473 process and it's so much easier than people on other sites make it seem. After going through the HQL stuff and filling out a 77R for Maryland things, the 4473 is a breeze. All three of these basically ask the same questions… it's almost as if all of this could be accomplished with just one form. :)

This Marlin is surprisingly light and reminds me of the BB guns I used to shoot as a child, just without all of the pumping between shots. Got home and found my ammo order had shown up while I was gone. Now I just need to find a range to take this thing to that's reasonably close.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you bought handguns in Maryland, it wasn’t your first time with the 4473. You still had to fill one of those out when you did the 77r to buy a handgun. Just no 7 day wait or much longer 77r form to complete.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    If you bought handguns in Maryland, it wasn’t your first time with the 4473. You still had to fill one of those out when you did the 77r to buy a handgun. Just no 7 day wait or much longer 77r form to complete.

No handgun yet, I'm actually going to an IP tomorrow to fill out the 4473 for one and did the 77R yesterday. Was just noting that all three things (HQL, 77R, and 4473) are basically exactly the same questions.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Still have mine as well. Don’t shoot it much anymore but it wont go anywhere. My only gripe with mine is the trigger is horrible.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Enjoy! My dad bought me a used 60 as my first rifle as a teenager. That gun killed a ton of groundhogs. It's pretty worn out now, so I bought a stainless barreled one to play with.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise, my first purchased rimfire rifle was a M60 . To date myself, it was on sale for $39.95 (new) .

The 4473 and 77R are one direction compatible . Everything that would disqualify on a 4473 would disqualify from Maryland also , but Md has additional disqualifiers that don't apply at Federal level.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Likewise, my first purchased rimfire rifle was a M60 . To date myself, it was on sale for $39.95 (new) .

The 4473 and 77R are one direction compatible . Everything that would disqualify on a 4473 would disqualify from Maryland also , but Md has additional disqualifiers that don't apply at Federal level.

Those were the days. I remember seeing shootable SMLE's at Woolworth for $79...new Ruger Security Six revolvers for $225...

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Was also my first firearm! Still have mine and has had thousands of rounds run through it and it is just as accurate as when I bought it 35+ years ago. Mine was $49 from Best Products in Towson.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Those were the days. I remember seeing shootable SMLE's at Woolworth for $79...new Ruger Security Six revolvers for $225...

But what were pay rates???? :D

My first rifle of my own, was a Marlin 99C. Basically same action as the 60, but a higher line. I still have it. Weaver V22 scope.

And recently got a 99M1 from Hog Sniper. 99 action, set up to look somewhat like an M1 Carbine.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Congratulations on the rifle purchase ! My first rifle was a 22 as well. I still have it 35 years later and every time I handle it I am reminded of hours spent squirrel hunting, target shooting at Myrtle grove with my Dad and the day my buddy and I went to buy it.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    It sounds like I made a good decision. I'm hoping to get to a range next weekend or the following week and put some of this ammo I bought through it.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    It sounds like I made a good decision. I'm hoping to get to a range next weekend or the following week and put some of this ammo I bought through it.

Spend an hour or so cycling the bolt while watching TV to help break it in. Drives the wife nuts but it'll perform better on the range. Put a little oil on it and cycle away.

I've also found 22 semis don't like a lot of oil as they gum up from the dirty blowback cycling process. I'll degrease mine and load the chamber and bolt section with spray graphite or dry lithium depending on what's on the shelf. As you'll find out taking a Marlin 60's trigger assy out is a PITA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rseymorejr wins . My $39.95 M60 was the Glenfield version, with iron sights . ( At that point, the actual Marlin branded had plain walnut , the Glenfield had stained Beech .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom