• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    So I have an adequate collection of household tools (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and minor wood working), but I'd like to assemble a box for dedicated gun cleaning/building tasks. By no means am I a gunsmith, but I'd like to have a few tools handy if I need to make a minor adjustment, replace a broken part, and have a decent setup for building an AR lower.

Looking for a kit to cover modern firearms: pump/semi auto shotguns, AR pattern rifles, striker fired pistols, etc.. Suggestions for a few tools to purchase and always have on hand?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    An AR armorer's wrench and a high quality set of punches would be the main things for most uses. Also a good bench vise.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Get a set of quality screwdrivers designed for gunsmithing work. Using standard screwdrivers will often end up in buggered screw slots. Check out what's available through Brownells...they sell just what will work.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not AR specific but in general always keep a broken shell extractor handy whether it be in a range bag or your tool box. Outside of screwdrivers for common firearms tasks your always going to need a hard set of Arkansas/Norton stones in triangle flat and round shapes and a set of quality punches with a bench knife.
    Plus some files from small to large in single and double cut configuration in different shapes sizes. Dont forget some chisels too, both wood and steel with a ball Peen hammer assortment and small cross peen for wood and steel guns.
    After a awhile you will acquire all kinds of specialty tools as your interest increase.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Depending on what you want to do?

Roll pin starter punch set: Punches with a hole drilled in the center to hold the roll pin to get it started.
    Roll pin specific punches: Have a small center section (Titty) sticking out from the center, used to center the punch on the roll pin.

Check Brownells, they have most everything

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Get a set of quality screwdrivers designed for gunsmithing work. Using standard screwdrivers will often end up in buggered screw slots. Check out what's available through Brownells...they sell just what will work.

These Chapman drivers are a very good value versus cost. They are US made and the storage boxes are modular for expansion. Single broken tips can be replaced at reasonable cost. I started with a basic set and added (over time) darn near every tip they make and a spare empty organizer box. I later ended up getting a second basic set to have spare handles and extenders.

Here is a link to the gun-smithing specific sets.

https://chapmanmfg.com/pages/gunsmith-screwdriver-sets

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Follow SOTAR on Facebook for lots of useful info about tools and techniques.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    These Chapman drivers are a very good value versus cost. They are US made and the storage boxes are modular for expansion. Single broken tips can be replaced at reasonable cost. I started with a basic set and added (over time) darn near every tip they make and a spare empty organizer box. I later ended up getting a second basic set to have spare handles and extenders.

Here is a link to the gun-smithing specific sets.

https://chapmanmfg.com/pages/gunsmith-screwdriver-sets

I have had that set for years. It is typically sent with a good discussion on torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom