• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    See, that is the thing. You probably associate only with far right leaning people in the country. Sadly, there are some big cities in Maryland that have high population counts that are mostly liberal. They are fine with UBC. Heck, I am fine with UBC. I can take it or leave it. I am not clamoring for it, but if they pass it, meh.

I know people that are in the moderate camp that are fine with UBC. One if a really good friend of mine and he moved to Wisconsin last year and does not miss Maryland a bit. He leans to the right like me. He was also alright with UBC before I was alright with it.

If I thought NICS could lead to a national registry and eventual confiscation, I would not be alright with it. ...

Fabs, this position emboldened above, which I believe that I saw you articulate a week or two back as well, is one thing that has not gone over well. Beyond what I’ve quoted above, you’ve also argued that it might do good. Obviously laws that restrict protections would (in an ideal world of course) have compelling data of an actual benefit vs a supposition.

However, in your further elaborated stance, you’ve indicated that there are real flaws with the NICS system (and how MD approaches it) and that the pro-2A side should get something in exchange. I’m not sure if you are also saying that you are against UBCs for secondary long gun sales on just principle - as that seems different from what you wrote above. I think we all can agree that a neutral position on the enactment of this legislation also aids the anti argument of having to do a NICS check on temporary long gun loans.

You don't concede anything about NICS working until they can show that the mental health side of the system is shored up. How can NICS possibly work if the mental health side of it is full of holes. 2013's onslaught came as a result of Sandy Hook. These people are looking for ways to feel safe about sending their kids to school, their adult kids going to a bar, attending church, etc. If they want to make sure that crazy people do not get firearms, then the first step is shoring up NICS. After that, then we can talk about NICS checks across the board and whether I am "fine" with them based upon the cost/benefit analysis and how we deal with the poor having to pay $35+ extra for a long gun.

How many people do you think sit on the fence, but could possibly be brought into the fold on something that isn't anti-gun or pro-gun, but something in between? Then again, maybe I am hoping for too much since most of the political system is broken and it is mostly us versus them, versus a we, as in how can "we" make the state safer?

Possibly throw in harsher prison sentences for violent criminals in return for UBC.

There is just so much out there that has not worked since 1934, why not work on scrapping some of it in exchange for some different ways to try to do things. I'd love to see the 1986 new machine gun ban go away. A Form 4 should be plenty of a background check on that one.

Anyway, maybe I am in the land of unicorns and leprechauns on this, and a stone wall with hot vitriol flowing down the side is the only way to approach this.

So above you list concessions, if I understand you correctly, as well as concerns that you would have if NICS checks for secondary sales are enacted. One of the arguments that you’ve listed is an emotional one (underlined), but I’m sure is sincerely presented. I prefer logical, data driven reasons to implement new laws, as you do (based on your requests for information). How will NICS checks on secondary long gun sales make the public safer? Do you have information to support this contention?

As per implementation of points that you would like to negotiate, how? You’ve stated there is significant support across the board for UBCs - but that’s probably a national number, that also includes handguns, and relates to states where private sales of handguns may still be possible. I bet the numbers would be lower if there was a poll about “used” long gun sales between individuals in hunting or farming communities that might not be near an FFL or have the spare cash to cover the transfer fee. Lol, of course that sort of specific question would never get polled, so what we’re left with is the generic catchall poll, that is then spun as having import by lobbyists.

You anecdotally mentioned your friend in Wisconsin, who like you, supports UBCs. Being from Wisconsin, I have a lot of friends that are still there. There’s a much bigger gun culture in that state, and the numbers of privately held firearms in Wisconsin is higher than Maryland. They have less restrictive gun laws, and a similar population as Maryland. They also have lower gun homicides (Milwaukee isn’t as dangerous as Baltimore) even with more guns and less 2A restrictions. Of the gun owners that I know there (probably a dozen), they tend to be to the right of me on 2A and other issues. What I’m saying, insofar as my experience, other than you on MDS, I don’t really know a lot of people that support UBCs in the gun owning community. I’m sure there are some, but they are in the minority of those drawn to participate on this board. Thus, maybe among those you interact with outside this board that are gun owners, you may be able to find a community of likeminded folks to try to rally and compromise on 2A issues - and achieve some progress on protections in the state through these negotiations with gun controllers. Maybe Hogan would work with you too. Unless there is a way to rally numbers to your cause, I think it’s a nonstarter. But if there is truly a wide swath of people that support UBCs, it might be easy to enlist support.

Again, I personally don’t see an upside in UBCs expanded to secondary sales of non banned long guns in the state, but don’t want to discourage you if you think there’s a better way to go about it to benefit the 2A community and society in the deal.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Why admonish only me. I assume you read what I quoted. I offered a truce to Stoveman and was rebuffed. No love for Stoveman tonight?

Two wrongs don’t make a right, isn’t that what we teach our children? If you truly believe in your position and it’s not just adversarial for the sake of being adversarial due to a feeling of being slighted in the past than there would be no need for a truce.

I think sometimes between the stress of work, family and everything we are facing on a state level and national level we just need to step back and focus on the important things in life. Sometimes getting the last word in might feel like you’ve “won”, when in fact you’ve won the battle and lost the war. If you genuinely want a truce be the bigger man.

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    This thread reminds me of this (generally speaking).

Attachments

• 8560F278-33A3-4621-AACC-C200761F8E22.jpeg
      8560F278-33A3-4621-AACC-C200761F8E22.jpeg
      18.2 KB · Views: 321

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There's already enough laws to ensure that everyone is a criminal.

Being nice has brought us to this pass; being more nice will continue down the same path to total disarmament. It's time the lawmakers are given a message.

Those who don't care for confrontation are welcome to move to the UK, where everyone has to be nice, except those who we may not mention.

Let me throw an idea out there in response to the above, not directed at you, but directed to everyone in this forum that reads this.

Who would be willing to take this movement directly to each and every individual Maryland politician in their district? The PP is using a few of Alinsky's rules to great affect, but what I am throwing out there is using all of Alinsky's rules against the politicians in Annapolis.

If you are interested, send me a PM so we don't clutter up this thread.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Patriots are here!

Attachments

• C6CE6693-FD80-4029-92C3-B0264077DE8D.jpg
      C6CE6693-FD80-4029-92C3-B0264077DE8D.jpg
      136.6 KB · Views: 298

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    This thread reminds me of this (generally speaking).

This thread (and others) remind me of an unstable individual who's shouting at himself all day. This is not normal or rational behavior and can be a precursor to actions that end up in the news.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Young Patriot!

Attachments

• D4EFD152-7AEE-40CF-A7EB-1AB6D78213F2.jpg
      D4EFD152-7AEE-40CF-A7EB-1AB6D78213F2.jpg
      139.1 KB · Views: 287

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    More Patriots!

Attachments

• 8D834D7A-48A0-4872-8AE1-4C7D0C595411.jpg
      8D834D7A-48A0-4872-8AE1-4C7D0C595411.jpg
      145.7 KB · Views: 318

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Experienced Patriots!

Attachments

• 08F7816F-16E4-4FC4-87CF-3921E9593A11.jpg
      08F7816F-16E4-4FC4-87CF-3921E9593A11.jpg
      119.9 KB · Views: 328

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    New Patriots!

Attachments

• C668B517-13A7-42A5-9094-2521BC207D5E.jpg
      C668B517-13A7-42A5-9094-2521BC207D5E.jpg
      131.7 KB · Views: 312

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    This was a very smart tactic for Patriot Picket. I don't think people see how these little actions here could impact major SCOTUS actions down the road. Smart, VEEEEERY SMART!

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Old Patriots!

Attachments

• E08E8B92-17D0-4E49-89A6-0D902A1BFF44.jpg
      E08E8B92-17D0-4E49-89A6-0D902A1BFF44.jpg
      119.6 KB · Views: 310

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket