• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Well I thought I had everything I needed . But I bought a Sharps in 45/70 and now I need to load for it.
    Does anybody know where I could keep a lookout online ? Other than Midway.
    Do they show up occasionally ?

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Not really an answer to your question of where they may be in stock, but I would be willing to trade large rifle for small rifle. Of course, I understand, that may not be any help.

As far as online Grafs, Midsouth shooters supply, and Powder valley are a few that come to mind. I have even purchased from cabellas, Bass pro and gander mountain in the past before shortages.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    2A Sales has had Large Rifle primers in stock lately. Id give them a call to see if they have any left.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Well I thought I had everything I needed . But I bought a Sharps in 45/70 and now I need to load for it.
    Does anybody know where I could keep a lookout online ? Other than Midway.
    Do they show up occasionally ?

Down here, in Southern Maryland, contact Maryland ReloadR.
    Bob Mancer is the guy's name.

Phone: 301-870-3338

Bob is a GREAT guy, but, bear with him. He's had some medical issues and doesn't always speak very fast.
    I think someone said that he had a stroke a while back. (Not sure.) :shrug:

Still....... Bob can probably set you up on primers.

IF you need a VERY GOOD load for that .45-70, give me a shout.
    You'll need some Alliant Reloader 7 (aka/RL-7) powder and some 405 grain boolits! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Low(er) pressure. Great accuracy. Hits like a freight-train!!

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    IF you need a VERY LIGHT PINK load for that .45-70, give me a shout.
    You'll need some Alliant Reloader 7 (aka/RL-7) powder and some 405 grain boolits! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    High pressure. Somewhat accurate.. Hits like a Prius.

Now for a standard load for your Sharps get yourself some Magnum Primers
    Some 3 F Black Powder and some 540 grain soft lead Postell bullets. Load about 65 grains of black put a wadd on top and compress the powder when you seat the bullet and now you have a load. Remember Smokeless Powder is a Passing Faze. This killed Millions of Buffalo.

byf43

IF you need a VERY LIGHT PINK load for that .45-70, give me a shout.
    High pressure. Somewhat accurate.. Hits like a Prius.

Now for a standard load for your Sharps get yourself some Magnum Primers
    Some 3 F Black Powder and some 540 grain soft lead Postell bullets. Load about 65 grains of black put a wadd on top and compress the powder when you seat the bullet and now you have a load. Remember Smokeless Powder is a Passing Faze. This killed Millions of Buffalo.

(Said with Asian accent) "You so funny!!!!!!!"

All kidding aside..... you wrote 3 F BP. Is that right????? I thought FF powder would be better in the .45-70!?!?!?!?!!?

40.0 grains of RL-7 and a Cast Performance 405 LWNGC boolit travels at about 1660 fps and is easy on the shoulder.

Same boolit. Same powder, just go to 42.5 grains and it'll KILL on one end and HURT on the other!!!

RL-7 pushes that 405 grain boolit with comparable speed, but lower pressures than IMR-3031 and/or IMR-4895.

For your reading enjoyment - .45-70 "Gummint" -
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    There is so little difference in the two now days you can use either especially shooting Goex Powder. I bought a few cases of Goex Cartridge yrs ago before they stopped production of it. If you would like to shoot some big boy bullets please let me know and I will drop them off to you the next time I am in Md or I can ship them to you Sir. I think I even have some hard ones cast for you smokeless guys. I assume you have a lube-sizer ????

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    (Said with Asian accent) "You so funny!!!!!!!"

All kidding aside..... you wrote 3 F BP. Is that right????? I thought FF powder would be better in the .45-70!?!?!?!?!!?

40.0 grains of RL-7 and a Cast Performance 405 LWNGC boolit travels at about 1660 fps and is easy on the shoulder.

Same boolit. Same powder, just go to 42.5 grains and it'll KILL on one end and HURT on the other!!!

RL-7 pushes that 405 grain boolit with comparable speed, but lower pressures than IMR-3031 and/or IMR-4895.

For your reading enjoyment - .45-70 "Gummint" -
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm

I plan to start reloading for my 45-70 Lever Gun soon. I have the dies already, have begun collecting components, and I've been reading everything I can find on reloading this caliber since this is my first lever gun. Based on that, I'd been looking for some VARGET powder up to this point but perhaps I should be looking for some RL-7 since this load looks like just the ticket. Thoughts?

byf43

I plan to start reloading for my 45-70 Lever Gun soon. I have the dies already, have begun collecting components, and I've been reading everything I can find on reloading this caliber since this is my first lever gun. Based on that, I'd been looking for some VARGET powder up to this point but perhaps I should be looking for some RL-7 since this load looks like just the ticket. Thoughts?

Give that link that I posted a look-see.

I did the same thing. I read EVERYTHING that I could get my hands on.
    I broke my neck several years ago, and my doctors told me to take it easy, with hard-recoiling 'stuff'.
    RL-7 yields the same velocity loads as other powders, with less pressures.
    I've seen pics of some leverguns that "let go" from stout loads.
    The receiver isn't 'that thick' where the barrel screws into it.
    Lower pressures....... good velocity...... GREAT accuracy. That's what I was looking for.

I had bought some IMR-3031 on another .45-70 shooter's recommendation. I've not opened it. RL-7 and I have an agreement.
    It fills my cases. I shoot them!

I used the load that I posted, when I went on a wild hog hunt, last year.
    That hog was HUGE.
    One shot. Boom!!! Thump. DRT.

When I was sighting in that load, my son went to the berm that was about 10 yards behind the target, and after 3 shots, he reached inside the hole, to try to retrieve a boolit.
    The hole was as deep as his forearm (fist to elbow) and he was putting his FIST into the hole!!!!!

I have found THE load for my .45-70s!!!!!

42.5 grains HURTS after 5 shots. 40.0 grains....... I can shoot 50-60 shots without pain.

40.0 grains of RL-7 and those Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolits perform!!

ETA: There's NO need to "magnum-ize" the .45-70 round. It just doesn't need it!!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I was down in ashlin last weekend at green top and bass pro they both had plunty of primers in stock
    Bass pro limited to two packs per customer and green top was 5 packs per customer. I just made several trips in and out of the stores and I got 1500 small pistol primers.

Now for the recoil of the 45-70 You can use trail boss powder. It is designed for cowboy shooting with cast bullets Very little recoil. I was using it out of my 15" encore pistol with out a Muzzle break , using 405 gr cast bullets. It was so light on recoil that my 13 year old son could shoot the pistol all day

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Yeah, 45-70 govt and "magnum" is sort of an oxymoron!

Thanks for the link. I'd read a similar article that had pointed me in a similar but slightly different direction. The link you posted, plus you're personal experience mean more. So I'll work up some of those as soon as I have all the components and let you know how it works out. Thanks a bunch!

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

What lever gun did you buy ??

byf43

Yeah, 45-70 govt and "magnum" is sort of an oxymoron!

Thanks for the link. I'd read a similar article that had pointed me in a similar but slightly different direction. The link you posted, plus you're personal experience mean more. So I'll work up some of those as soon as I have all the components and let you know how it works out. Thanks a bunch!

It's my pleasure.

No problem, at all.

There's 'just something' that is "Right" with that old catridge!!
    I really like it!

RDavidP

Mar 8, 2007
    Frederick
    Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has had primers lately. They have been limiting to 300 per customer each day, though.

On Tuesday, they had CCI BR-4 small rifle. Today I called about 2pm, and they no longer had small rifle primers, but had just about everything else.

Now if you want to be set for life on large rifle primers, and maybe have a few left over for barter, I did find this, and as of this posting the website says they are in stock:
    http://www.thebulletworks.net/category-s/77.htm

If you order those, depending on your age and shooting habits, you might have some to pass down to the grandkids. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom