• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Short version:
    I know of someone who should not be in possession of a firearm who is attempting to obtain a CCW in MD. Is there anything I can do to make sure that the background check will find the disqualifying information?

Long Version:
    Ah Thanksgiving with the family. There are reasons I do not enjoy the holidays. I arrived at this years gathering of family that includes 95% liberal relatives. After being there for a little while a relative shows up that causes most of my anxiety. This particular member if female with kids. Not going to drop all family drama here for the world but she has been receiving disability benefits for 20+ years for a mental disorder. In the past 5 years she began working and I along with the rest of my family encourage this. She has lost several jobs in the past from flying off the handle towards her boss or customers. This years greeting included the question "How hard is it for me to get a carry permit for a handgun?". I was shocked and immediately responded with "impossible" figuring that would end the discussion. How wrong I was, turns out she has started working for some security company patrolling shopping centers. She informs me that her boss in the company tells her she can make more money if she gets a firearm permit and they will sponsor her. I was speechless. The rest of the liberal crowd at the gathering did not say a word knowing fully about her mental conditions and despite them being the most anti people I know. I probably should have said something more but quite honestly I was literally at a loss for words.

Following the event my wife turned to me and said thank god for background checks. I immediately reminded her of how this liberal state would probably not review medical records as it is an invasion of privacy and the recent church shooting in TX the shooter had gone through the background check where the Air Force had not reported any disqualifying information. How can we trust Social Security or any other involved agencies have reported anything? Not once in this persons history in the courts has real common sense been used in any of the decisions they have made. I am fearful this might actually happen as the only commitment happened when this person was a juvenile.

Is there anything I can do in this situation as this person should not have access to (much less be allowed to carry) a firearm in public.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    As unfortunate as this sounds I believe MSP can access your mental health records. They are probably reviewed by a bureaucrat at that office with no medical training. She will probably be stopped at purchase. Which sounds like a good thing.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If there is no documentation she is a danger to herself or others and she has not spent more than 30 days in a mental health facility, she is not prohibited.

sorry

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Probably not prohibited, but they will ask about any treatment for any mental issues, and will ask if they have ever taken anything for mental health, if you have, they want a doc note releasing you from treatment. Also, they will ask references, boss, and spouse if there are violent tenancies or any reason you would not want the applicant to get a permit.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    anonymous letter to her employer suggesting they do a more thorough check with her prior employers. without that job maybe she won't want to get a permit.

teqmod

Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    If there is no documentation she is a danger to herself or others and she has not spent more than 30 days in a mental health facility, she is not prohibited.

That is what I am afraid of. If something happens it will be a tragedy all around but nothing can be done to prevent it.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The mental health questioning for carry is more in-depth than the questioning for purchase.

teqmod

Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    The mental health questioning for carry is more in-depth than the questioning for purchase.

I certainly hope so. This and a couple protective orders against her would hopefully be enough. I suppose I need to have faith in the system.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Probably not prohibited, but they will ask about any treatment for any mental issues, and will ask if they have ever taken anything for mental health, if you have, they want a doc note releasing you from treatment. Also, they will ask references, boss, and spouse if there are violent tenancies or any reason you would not want the applicant to get a permit.

All of this.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I certainly hope so. This and a couple protective orders against her would hopefully be enough. I suppose I need to have faith in the system.

The bolded portion should prevent someone from getting a W&C permit. Have you checked Maryland Case Search to see if they show up there?

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Offer to be one of her references and when MSP calls you tell them what you think about the idea of this person getting a permit.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    As others have stated if the person is not a danger to self or others than they are not barred from exercising their rights! Just because you feel that a person has a mental disorder does not mean they are a danger to society. It sounds like they are managing and have a stable job as a security guard. You feel this person shouldn't have access to guns. Why exactly is that? What specific things happened that warrant taking away their rights and have those instances been reviewed by the courts? Anyone can label anyone as having a mental disorder. Unless someone has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution you are not going to get to take away their rights! Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless the Republic!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Well that's the problem wih references. The applicant controls who MSP talks to.
    Not necessarily a problem, double edged sword for sure. One shouldn't need references in the first place. Letting MSP choose the references would equal a list of every anti gun liberal a person knows. No one would get a permit

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    OP, I understand your concerns. Seems like ALL of the recent multiple shootings involved a person with mental disorders (diagnosed or otherwise), and if someone had stepped up to the plate a lot of folks would probably be alive today who aren't.

It's a tough call, and I don't envy your position. You've got to weigh the pros and cons and act according to your conscience. Contacting her employer is probably not going to be anonymous, as he'll most likely tell your relative that you did, and she'll blame you for the results.

A call to the MSP licensing division might be in order, just to ask their advice. I bet they'd appreciate your concerns. Maybe they can red flag her name if she submits an application in the future.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Not judging either side but this seems way too personal to get involved in this manner. If you go down this path, you can bet it's going to create family problems. Maryland is difficult enough to get a Wear and Carry and the last thing we need is anyone with a grudge against us being able to interfere with that constitutional right. Let the MSP do their job. If she's as questionable as you say, she's not getting a permit.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It doesn't sound as if she wants a personal carry permit, it sounds as if her employer wants her to go through the process for becoming an armed security guard. Maybe she doesn't understand the difference.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not judging either side but this seems way too personal to get involved in this manner. If you go down this path, you can bet it's going to create family problems. Maryland is difficult enough to get a Wear and Carry and the last thing we need is anyone with a grudge against us being able to interfere with that constitutional right. Let the MSP do their job. If she's as questionable as you say, she's not getting a permit.
    :thumbsup:

My quick answer is (all due respect) MYOB.

If she gets a gun and does dirt, it is NOT on you.

If she gets a permit and does dirt, it is NOT on you.

Sometimes, freedom (what little we have in the PRoM) is ugly.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    According to the second amendment there should be no such thing as a prohibited person, if you are not incarcerated, you have the right to keep and bear the tools for self defense. Would you stop her from owning a car or a hammer? That is what freedom means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom