• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is your gun a true trap gun or just a generic Silver Pigeon? Does it have an adjustable comb. 55/45 is a little low for a trap gun, I shoot 60/40 from the 16 and 90/10 from handicap.
    Trap is tough because unless you are shooting consistent 24's and 25's it's hard to place when competing. There are other things you could be doing that are affecting your scores that have nothing to do with the gun, stopping the gun instead of following through on the angle birds is just one, foot position, not keeping your head on the stock, dropping your arm and pulling the gun away from your eyes is common. Are you sure which is your dominant eye?
    Guns are usually the least of the problem, I've run 25's with field guns and antique guns, whatever I shoot my technique is the same and just have to change if I cover the bird or not depending on POI, most field guns shoot flat.
    If you shoot at AGC I would be happy to meet you up there and see if I notice anything, also happy to let you try my trap gun to see if it makes any difference.

I"m a member of AGC but have never shot trap, when is the best time to show up where there are people willing to help? Any idea on what it costs for an instructor? I'd be interested to pay someone to meet me and my son on say friday lunchtime if that could happen. He is done with school by then and I can often take a long lunch. I had also thought about going to PG Trap & Skeet to do the same if they have instructors that work out of there. I have no clue how much trap I would shoot but don't know until I try it and figure It could only help my bird hunting skills as well which are at a novice level.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Not much, But:
    Practice mounting the gun, getting the gun in the same position every time is important. The double beads are for alignment, NOT aiming.
    Station 1: hold to the left of the house in the grass, hard left is your hardest target here.
    Station 5: hold to the right of the house in the grass, hard right is the hardest target here.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I"m a member of AGC but have never shot trap, when is the best time to show up where there are people willing to help? Any idea on what it costs for an instructor? I'd be interested to pay someone to meet me and my son on say friday lunchtime if that could happen. He is done with school by then and I can often take a long lunch. I had also thought about going to PG Trap & Skeet to do the same if they have instructors that work out of there. I have no clue how much trap I would shoot but don't know until I try it and figure It could only help my bird hunting skills as well which are at a novice level.

Trap is alright, but it equates to rising birds like quail, pheasant, and partridge. Only going to shoot those at game farms in Maryland and I really cannot call it hunting.

If you want to hunt dove or waterfowl, then get into sporting clays. If you have not shot sporting clays yet, I'm going to try to get some guys together to shoot some at PG after tax season. You are more than welcome to come along. For the novice, just walking the sporting clays course can be intimidating.

Also, at the PG course there is a station along the sporting clays range that is used only by an instructor. I cannot remember the instructors name though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Someone mentioned a range day last year but I'm guessing that fell through :innocent0

Yes and no. Actually went shooting with my brothers, my dad, and Schipperke last June. It was somewhat spur of the moment.

My problem with trying to schedule something way in advance, especially for the end of April or beginning of May, is that I have no idea how I will be feeling physically. My Lyme usually comes back after tax season. Exactly how bad varies from year to year. Last spring was not a good one for me.

However, the house issue is now resolved. Plenty of upgrades to do around the house, but nothing is urgent. So, I should be able to sneak away here and there on the weekends to do some shooting. Actually going to join Littlestown and take my kids up there too.

I'll try to give two weeks advance notice once tax season is over and gauge the interest here. It will be good to shoot with JoeR again and to shoot with some new faces too.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so,
    I picked up a used Beretta 686 Onyx white from the classifieds and took it to the AGC wobble trap and shot it. Very pleased with it. I had first shot a round with my 870 (first time I ever did the 5 shots from 5 stations).
    Recorded my score, then moved to the 686 and shot 2 rounds. Decided I wanted to work on my angles so locked the angle and took 12 shots from the left, then switched the angle and took 13 from the right practicing my lead and follow through (which I certainly need work on). I'm fortunate to be able to run out to AGC some mornings and lunchtime when no one is there and practice. I have 2 offers to have some experienced trap guys help me and my son out when I can eventually meet up with them. Although I've done some reading, I'll be expecting to learn more about the etiquette and protocol (rhythm etc) once I have some help from those guys so I don't piss anyone off.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Sounds like a good start. Start moving forward. Talk to folks. Learn as you go.

Mentioning to folks you’re new earns a lot of understanding. Most seasoned folks will be helpful in explaining if you have casual issues with protocol and other newbie issues.

Both guns should also serve you fairly well too. The 686 is really nice, and an 870 will do what you tell it. As folks say, the problem is rarely the gun.

Enjoy!

so,
    I picked up a used Beretta 686 Onyx white from the classifieds and took it to the AGC wobble trap and shot it. Very pleased with it. I had first shot a round with my 870 (first time I ever did the 5 shots from 5 stations).
    Recorded my score, then moved to the 686 and shot 2 rounds. Decided I wanted to work on my angles so locked the angle and took 12 shots from the left, then switched the angle and took 13 from the right practicing my lead and follow through (which I certainly need work on). I'm fortunate to be able to run out to AGC some mornings and lunchtime when no one is there and practice. I have 2 offers to have some experienced trap guys help me and my son out when I can eventually meet up with them. Although I've done some reading, I'll be expecting to learn more about the etiquette and protocol (rhythm etc) once I have some help from those guys so I don't piss anyone off.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    so,

If you are worried about "etiquette", just go down to PG one weekend and watch some of the pro looking guys shoot trap. That will show you what the "pros" expect etiquette wise.

Just don't shoot the trap house and you should be just fine. lol

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just don't shoot the trap house and you should be just fine. lol

The first time I took my Daughter to shoot trap we went to the wobble trap at AGC. Something was wrong with it and the targets were coming straight out and very low. I let her shoot a few before I went to try and figure out the problem. The last one came out very low and she peppered the trap house!LOL! Luckily we were up there by ourselves.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The first time I took my Daughter to shoot trap we went to the wobble trap at AGC. Something was wrong with it and the targets were coming straight out and very low. I let her shoot a few before I went to try and figure out the problem. The last one came out very low and she peppered the trap house!LOL! Luckily we were up there by ourselves.

There is an elevation setting and you can fix the elevation or make it variable (the wobble). Sometimes people set it low or I have seen it jump out of wack on me when set not to change. There used to be a link to the instructions at the website on that thing but I can't find it. I never knew there was a light switch to shut it off or turn the lamp on till a guy showed me the other day. The wireless remote can be funky to jumpstart too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom